Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOT5A TRAILER 2 OUT!!!
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Glassary
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:10pm

Post #151 of 348 (10016 views)
Shortcut
     love the emotion [In reply to]  

Not going to wade in on the CGI debate.

But the emotions evoked are outstanding.
Dwalin confronting Thorin and agreeing with Bilbo, unexpected and great.

Elrond in armor, the entire Dol Guldur scenes...wonderful.
Literally the gangs all here and ready to rock.

Thranduil still mysterious but epic. PJ has said that he is the best
fighter in ME so can't wait to see this.
Also don't think he does Tauriel in. Think PJ has cut & pieced the trailer
to imply things that we will find are not true for either of them.
I think Thranduil comes upon Tauriel at Kilis side as he is dying or dead.
She reacts to someone being there and he knocks aside her bow.
Have a feeling that Tauriel doesn't die at all.

Wish could have spied Dain and some more Balin but some mystery for the film is o.k.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 6 2014, 7:11pm

Post #152 of 348 (9949 views)
Shortcut
     Well said! [In reply to]  

Suspension of disbelief and good story telling are everything.

I also remember those rubber monster suits (with the zippers up the back), and I have to remind myself sometimes just how far special effects have come and how the most amazing CGI now looks ordinary to me. I'm just really happy that Middle Earth has been so beautifully created on film, since I can remember a time when it was literally impossible to do this.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

caglarkuraner
Bree

Post #153 of 348 (9967 views)
Shortcut
     What is say?? [In reply to]  

00:43 Gandalf ?

(This post was edited by caglarkuraner on Nov 6 2014, 7:12pm)

shadowdog
Rohan

Post #154 of 348 (10020 views)
Shortcut
     I believe Jackson has said [In reply to]  

that miniatures don't film well with the digital high speed cameras they were using to film The Hobbit.

Smaug Report
Bree

Post #155 of 348 (9976 views)
Shortcut
     Oversimplification [In reply to]  

This is not about opinions. You can say the sky is made of dead fish, and yeah, you have the right to your opinion, but it's clearly ridiculous.

So is saying something of this obvious overall quality is atrocious. If you think that there's nothing behind the same handful of people spewing the same nasty bile here time and time again, on a message board about films they hate yet they can't stop mysteriously posting about is just them offering their sweet little thoughts, I have some swamp property for you.

I will show you revenge...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2014, 7:14pm

Post #156 of 348 (10015 views)
Shortcut
     Tauriel's double being thrown at 2:05 [In reply to]  

I like spotting these minor "goofs", which mostly end up being fixed anyways. There's also a quick shot of Freeman's double Brett Sheerin in one of the AUJ trailers.

Lots of fun watching Ingrid Kleinig do her stunt scenes as Tauriel in the TDoS extras.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 6 2014, 7:16pm)

caglarkuraner
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 7:15pm

Post #157 of 348 (9935 views)
Shortcut
     Gandalf? [In reply to]  

http://youtu.be/iVAgTiBrrDA?t=42s

What is say?

(This post was edited by caglarkuraner on Nov 6 2014, 7:16pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:16pm

Post #158 of 348 (9943 views)
Shortcut
     Does Sauron look a bit to...small..anyone ? [In reply to]  

Crazy

shaundobson
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:16pm

Post #159 of 348 (9941 views)
Shortcut
     ermm... [In reply to]  

trailer is alright, CGI is way over used in this i must say however, and i'm sure even the CGI defenders will agree it's abit over used, the orcs attacking the dwarves look bloody awful.

Even the locations look like a computer game and that elf army !

And the plot's i dont like, everytime i see another kili/tauriel scene it irritates me alot, but thats just my opinion. Another Bolg/legolas showdown is pointless another waisted plot.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 7:17pm

Post #160 of 348 (9951 views)
Shortcut
     Agree, I was first captured by the emotional aspects [In reply to]  

and the intensity. Sure, a few designs I questioned but overall it was a terrific trailer. I am sure he did not show us Thranduil cutting Tauriel's head off. I do see her thrown against a stone wall....who knows...but I doubt
we will see a spoiler in the trailer. The freeze frame on the Dol Guldur circle scene is great. Shining silver armour clad warriors / council members and Saruman is terrific.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Post #161 of 348 (9899 views)
Shortcut
     "This was the last move in a master plan, a plan long in the making." // [In reply to]  

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Post #162 of 348 (9885 views)
Shortcut
     Sacrifice quality of film to protect the environment [In reply to]  

I know that this time around the filmmakers didn't want to impact the NZ landscape so instead chose to shoot more plates and marry those with the actors on greenscreen.

So what we get is the movies we are getting and that's okay for me because traveling around the NZ countryside it would be a shame to have that being trampled on and big filming trucks carving big roads into the natural landscape.

Also, I think PJ and the main filmmakers don't want to travel as much. If they can film "almost" everything in the studio why not? There is a such a big infrastructure in Wellington. It's also cheaper.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 7:18pm

Post #163 of 348 (9879 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, yeah!! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
But I remember the same kinds of "special effects". Who could forget Jason and the Argonauts!

I was nine or ten when I saw the trailer on TV with the skeleton army and thought it was the most awesome thing I ever had seen!! I just had to see it!!! Mowed lawns all week so I could go to the Saturday showing. Went in when they opened at noon and saw it again and again till the theater closed at midnight.

Ah, the wonderment!!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:18pm

Post #164 of 348 (9899 views)
Shortcut
     Agreed [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Not going to wade in on the CGI debate.

But the emotions evoked are outstanding.
Dwalin confronting Thorin and agreeing with Bilbo, unexpected and great.

Elrond in armor, the entire Dol Guldur scenes...wonderful.
Literally the gangs all here and ready to rock.

Thranduil still mysterious but epic. PJ has said that he is the best
fighter in ME so can't wait to see this.
Also don't think he does Tauriel in. Think PJ has cut & pieced the trailer
to imply things that we will find are not true for either of them.
I think Thranduil comes upon Tauriel at Kilis side as he is dying or dead.
She reacts to someone being there and he knocks aside her bow.
Have a feeling that Tauriel doesn't die at all.

Wish could have spied Dain and some more Balin but some mystery for the film is o.k.

CGI aside the emotion definitely looks great. A problem I had with the last two, especially DOS, was too much focus on action and not enough on characters. Judging from this trailer it looks like a lot of focus on character. I'm excited to see how it all plays out.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:20pm

Post #165 of 348 (9846 views)
Shortcut
     I know [In reply to]  

In Reply To
that miniatures don't film well with the digital high speed cameras they were using to film The Hobbit.

I know PJ has said that. The problem for me is that I still don't like it. He could have had many reasons for doing so and they can all be justified. Still, it doesn't look as good to me, and I would have preferred him to have filmed it the old way. I think it would have looked a lot better, IMO.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:21pm

Post #166 of 348 (9867 views)
Shortcut
     Where is Gandalf in the shoot with Saruman,Elrond and Galadriel ??? [In reply to]  

mo0on-light
The Shire

Post #167 of 348 (9849 views)
Shortcut
     EPIC [In reply to]  

that what i call an epic trailer .. why no one talked about the background trailer .. is soo amazing i really can't wait to get soundtrack cover ... but i really have question to peter is why do you hate fili so much none of any three over trailer did ever show him i really wish to know why all of scenes only for kili but not to fili don't you think he deserve more scenes as much as kili

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 9 2014, 7:28pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Post #168 of 348 (9845 views)
Shortcut
     Finally! [In reply to]  

Something worthwhile to discuss. Here's what I think:

1.) In the book the Elvenking wants a share of the hoard, both because he believes that some of his own wealth is in the mountain, and because he wants to help out the homeless Lakemen. In the filmverse, we were shown his desire for the Nauglamir-esque gems from the AUJ EE prologue, which is presumably what he's after here.

2.) Gandalf is referring to Sauron's master plan. The orcs appear to be entering tunnels that will allow them to approach the Mountain unseen while the Free Peoples quarrel.

3.) In the book, bats block out the sun during the battle and allow the goblins to march and fight during the day. Here they appear to be closer to the Thuringwethil-style vampire-bat creatures of the Silmarillion than to those we saw in AUJ streaming out of Dol Guldur. Mount Gundabad was the primary orc-hold in the North of the Misty Mountains. It's where the hunters under Azog and Bolg come from in the film-verse. It looks like it operated as Sauron's secondary base under Azog's command. Legolas and Tauriel probably track Bolg there following the destruction of Laketown. The forces of Azog marching from Dol Guldur and the forces of Bolg marching from Mt. Gundabad will likely meet up and flank the unsuspecting Free Folk at some point.

4.) Not really sure about where this frozen waterfall is meant to be. Presumably somewhere in the environs of Dale or Ravenhill. Unless it's near Mt. Gundabad?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:22pm

Post #169 of 348 (9816 views)
Shortcut
     Harryhausen's stop-motion fantasy movies are still the best fantasy movies for me. [In reply to]  

His creatures weren't just monsters for the heroes to fight - they were characters of their own.

Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, the Sinbad Trilogy... All fantastic monster movies.

If you liked those you should check out Jack the Giant Killer. Not a Harryhausen movie, but made by the same director and with some of the same actors as The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. The effects aren't anywhere near as good as Harryhausen's movies, but it's still a very good fantasy flick.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 7:25pm

Post #170 of 348 (9789 views)
Shortcut
     except for the one [In reply to]  

where 'someone' blatantly called anyone who liked the trailer 'sheepish' and would love anything PJ does...that one was a bit aggressive and I wouldn't blame anyone for taking offense.

iduna
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:25pm

Post #171 of 348 (9801 views)
Shortcut
     Agree with you -- fantastic! [In reply to]  

I felt like I could hear Dwalin's heartbreak there -- so much emotion! He's been so loyal to Thorin for so long, to have to realize that Thorin is not himself must have been devastating.

Loved seeing Elrond, Saruman and Galadriel facing off against the Nine in Dol Guldur! That will be epic.

Not sure how Tauriel/Kili thing is going to play out, though. It looks like Kili is giving Tauriel the runestone while they're standing on a gravel shore (somewhere near Laketown?). He's not lying down, he's just very short. He may be thanking her for healing him, and saying that he's going back to join the others in Erebor.

Then Tauriel and Thranduil seem to be in Dale, with all that snow.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 7:26pm

Post #172 of 348 (9767 views)
Shortcut
     Also safety. [In reply to]  

We forget all the injuries to cast and stunties in the LOTR films. I sometime wince at the scenes I know where someone was hurt.

CGI orcs don't get broken limbs or concussions. That's a good thing.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Post #173 of 348 (9783 views)
Shortcut
     another try [In reply to]  

where is Gandalf in the shot were Saruman says:

"Leave Sauron to me" ?!?

BornOutOfTheWest
Rivendell

Post #174 of 348 (9797 views)
Shortcut
     Wow, [In reply to]  

Just got back so a little late with the reactions but WOW. 10X better than the teaser trailer, and one of the best trailers of the 6 films! Loved seeing some Dol Guldur actions, should be so epic with Saruman throwing it down with Sauron!

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 7:28pm

Post #175 of 348 (9733 views)
Shortcut
     Yea! [In reply to]  

Didn't Bernard Hill accidentally cut off a piece of someone's ear during the "brace the gate" scene in TTT?

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.