Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOT5A TRAILER 2 OUT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Bofur01
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 6:58pm

Post #126 of 348 (10790 views)
Shortcut
     I also noticed that... [In reply to]  

There seems to be a statue-like thing over Galadriel and Gandalf, in the shot with the Nine... It looks like it's holding a palantír!

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:59pm

Post #127 of 348 (10751 views)
Shortcut
     This [In reply to]  

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:59pm

Post #128 of 348 (10771 views)
Shortcut
     or you could simply watch a trailer like a normal person [In reply to]  

And not freeze frame it, saying it's terrible, when the film isn't even done yet.

I will show you revenge...

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 7:00pm

Post #129 of 348 (10733 views)
Shortcut
     Never to sail the Spanish Main... [In reply to]  

...in a cardboad box with old gift wrap tubes for cannons.

Yes, very tragic.Unsure

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Post #130 of 348 (10739 views)
Shortcut
     Superb! [In reply to]  

O December, where art thou? TongueSmile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 6 2014, 7:01pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Post #131 of 348 (10793 views)
Shortcut
     Surprised by the focus on CGI in reactions... [In reply to]  

...because first and foremost I was overwhelmed by all the drama in the trailer.

Not that people aren't entitled to focus/criticize on whatever pops out to them, because certainly they are. I just didn't come away from this myself reacting to the VFX. It was all the moments, i.e.: "You gave a promise...", "You cannot see what you have become", "Leave Sauron to ME", etc. that made an immediate impression on me. Smile

That said, I think the VFX are pretty spectacular myself, aside from literally one or two bits that could use a little more work.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Nov 6 2014, 7:03pm)

Guert
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:01pm

Post #132 of 348 (10773 views)
Shortcut
     LET'S TALK ABOUT THE REAL STUFF : [In reply to]  

SARUMAN : "Leave Sauron to me"

That is some real stuff happening isn't it ? And this shots with the ghoslty armored Nazguls surrounding Gandalf and Galadriel. And all those character moments... Bilbo, DWALIN !!! This line was so heartbreaking... Bard, Gandalf... Elrond drawing his sword, Legolas fighting Bolg.

This film will be awesome, I'm sure.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Post #133 of 348 (10722 views)
Shortcut
     You might be right! [In reply to]  

I just assumed Legolas would win round 2. Bolg could win, and knock Legolas away, or the fight could be intervened by something. I'm guessing Bolg attacks Tauriel and Legolas jumps in, or the other way round (Tauriel is crouching over a body in one shot, you can see the feet).

Yes, my username is terrible.

macfalk
Valinor

Post #134 of 348 (10767 views)
Shortcut
     Two questions [In reply to]  

1. What is Gandalf saying in the end?

2. Is this CGI finished? I hope they patch it up a little bit because some of it looks pretty unfinished.

That troll was pretty damn ugly.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 7:02pm

Post #135 of 348 (10696 views)
Shortcut
     Ditto. // [In reply to]  

Smaug's Fire
The Shire

Nov 6 2014, 7:02pm

Post #136 of 348 (10755 views)
Shortcut
     A couple questions [In reply to]  

It's been a year or so since I last read the Hobbit, so if I am being forgetful, correct me!
1. What is Thranduil coming to reclaim?
2. "This is the last move in a master plan.." What? What plan? Sauron's? Where are those Orcs going, into firery holes?
3. Gundabad? Bats? How did Legolas and Tauriel get their so fast? What role is Gundabad playing?
4. Frozen waterfall?

I did enjoy the trailer however, these are just a few questions I had after watching!

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 7:03pm

Post #137 of 348 (10730 views)
Shortcut
     Giant Projectile-Shooting Contraptions at 1:26 [In reply to]  

Pause it and you'll see those are Dwarves of the Iron Hills manning them. So evidently this is a misleading sequence of events, to have us believe that the Elves are exchanging volleys with them.

phij2
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 7:03pm

Post #138 of 348 (10712 views)
Shortcut
     aaaaack [In reply to]  

i just can't wait.

Please i need it to come out now, this very precise exact minute. Now i tell you now,

breathes deeply, okay maybe in two minutesSly

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 7:04pm

Post #139 of 348 (10708 views)
Shortcut
     No thanks [In reply to]  

I don't need a pill. And there are no insecurities here.

I am not some PS4 fanboy who turns red in the face if someone likes an Xbox ONE. Nobody is going to lessen my enjoyment of these films, and no, they are not perfect and I myself have some issues with them.

But, what it's true is true, and what is right is right, and if nobody else can smell the BS here, I sure can. I'm not afraid to call it out either. This isn't about opinions either.

There is a way to state an opinion in a way that is mature, adult, intelligent and fair, even if it's very negative. That I don't have a problem with. You hate the movies? Try actually making a compelling argument why supported by facts and in a way that is not so completely transparently provoking and obviously baiting.

I will show you revenge...

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Post #140 of 348 (10704 views)
Shortcut
     Well, [In reply to]  

It is a troll. Tongue

But if you mean the fat one that gets a close up, I thought he could have looked a bit better, I liked the catapult ones though.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Darkstone
Immortal

Post #141 of 348 (10675 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah... [In reply to]  

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) is still a favorite. Turn off the lights and grab some buttered popcorn. Wonderful!

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 6 2014, 7:05pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Post #142 of 348 (10706 views)
Shortcut
     And that he's the one who says it [In reply to]  

After all along he's been right there with Thorin. That really hit me too.

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 7:05pm

Post #143 of 348 (10680 views)
Shortcut
     those are her boots [In reply to]  

they certainly aren't big enough to be dwarf feet Smile

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:07pm

Post #144 of 348 (10667 views)
Shortcut
     understanding [In reply to]  

In Reply To
And I am not a mindless defender of CG, because there are clearly horrible fx shots in films all the time.

I'm also not a mindless apologist. It's clear, that the same 3-5 posters who pop up like whack-a-moles with the same boring, nonsense every time there is a chance to rain on people's parades is not an accident, and it is nauseating.

So is the fact that TORN'S mod's allow these people to spew their nonsense by "protecting their opinions", which are clearly not mere opinions, but provoking, obnoxious nonsense, and they know they can get away with it, because if anyone DARES offer criticism of THEIR post, they are banned or warned for flaming.

Weak. So the bashers can bash FX artists who are PEOPLE, and PJ and his CREW which are PEOPLE, but we can't bash the bashers back, because well, they're people!

I am sad to say I have found Tolkien fans to be the most smug, uptight, arrogant, impossible to please, insufferable brats in fandom, and I will not miss this site.

How anyone could watch that trailer and say it's atrocious is laughable. LAUGHABLE.

You have to understand that you are perceiving them as coming off that way. Someone offered their opinion on the matter and then personal attacks started on both sides. When personal attacks start on both sides that's where it becomes a problem.

I saw nothing wrong with any of those first posts commenting on the CGI. They expressed their dislike for it and that was all. Sure they might have a habit of posting negative things about the hobbit trilogy. That might be because they do not enjoy the way it has turned out. It's the same thing as someone always posting positive things about the trilogy. It's because they like the trilogy.

This argument has quickly deteriorated into personal attacks among posters on both sides and to me THAT makes the board a negative experience.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 7:07pm

Post #145 of 348 (10649 views)
Shortcut
     Not misleading [In reply to]  

IIRC, the wording in this chapter of the book leaves it ambiguous over whether the dwarves and elves have begun shooting at one another before Gandalf intervenes.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

LadyEmmaE
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 7:08pm

Post #146 of 348 (10733 views)
Shortcut
     So I assume the death of.... *spoilers* [In reply to]  

... Kili, will go something like this?

1) Fights in battle
2) Gets injured badly, possibly protecting Thorin/Fili/Tauriel
3) Sees Tauriel (I beliieve that was him lying in her arms?)
4) Gives Tauriel the talizman that Dis gave to him
5) Tauriel goes to Dis to give it back (assuming she lives), then hops on a ship to the Gray Havens or wherever.

Anyways, the trailer was great! Loved the Thorin and Kili headbutt thing.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 7:08pm

Post #147 of 348 (10619 views)
Shortcut
     dont worry [In reply to]  

In Reply To
TORN ist right now the worst place to discuss this trailer.

What has happened?

It is so, so sad.

the admins are probably going to come in and clean all of this up. They're very good at putting a swift end to these sorts of things.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 7:09pm

Post #148 of 348 (10657 views)
Shortcut
     4) Galadriel [In reply to]  

is sobbing behind Elrond as Saruman says "Leave Sauron to me". It is an interesting choice to show her vulnerability. But then she was magnificent in her LOTR scene of temptation by the ring, which she overcame. Elves are after all, as described by Tolkien, full of extreme passions of all varieties. Dol Guldur will have wonderful moments, it seems. And Elrond looks fabulous and strong, Saruman very powerful.

Great trailer!

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 7:09pm

Post #149 of 348 (10636 views)
Shortcut
     How sinister... / [In reply to]  

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2014, 7:10pm

Post #150 of 348 (10615 views)
Shortcut
     I'm just a couple years behind you Darkstone [In reply to]  

But I remember the same kinds of "special effects". Who could forget Jason and the Argonauts! (Although Ray Harryhausen was a legend in my book).

Like you I was blown away by this trailer. The visuals are breathtaking to me! I love they way they set up each major piece of the story too.

I have a list of things to bring to the theatre:
- Hankies (I planned lots but I've amended that to lots and lots),
- Chocolate (I will need more of this than I thought),
- A good stiff belt of something in the scotch family (Now amended to 2 stiff belts)

How about we just sit here and wave our canes at all the young whippersnappers who find their entertainment in complaining on the internet. We know better - the entertainment will come in December! Wink

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.