BOT5A TRAILER 2 OUT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Bofur01
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 6:45pm

Post #101 of 348 (11552 views)
Shortcut
     I just ran it through in iMovie... [In reply to]  

Frame-by-frame, and Tauriel seems to have had an arrow on her bow aimed at Thranduil!

Olorin2607
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 6:46pm

Post #102 of 348 (11418 views)
Shortcut
     Bravo! [In reply to]  

I can only say..Bravo to you!

davidjUK
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:48pm

Post #103 of 348 (11403 views)
Shortcut
     Agree [In reply to]  

In Reply To
is that people keep complaining about 'bad CG' which clearly illustrates their lack of knowledge/experience on the subject because 98% of the CG is REALLY GOOD...and what they are seeing that is 'bad' to them is the digital look of the film mixed with a lot of CG plus highly compressed internet versions of the file.

It's not that all of the CG is bad, there are a lot of other factors involved.

Absolutely agree. Even if there is some "bad CGI", I notice CGI that doesn't look great in the Lord of the Rings films. The Rohirrim charging at the Mumakil is one shot that sticks in my head, and CGI Legolas taking down the mumakil, but I don't start criticizing all of the CGI or the film in general.

Some people are just very negative.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Post #104 of 348 (11433 views)
Shortcut
     Finally! [In reply to]  

Watched the leaked version earlier but couldn't make out a lot (really low quality) so it great to finally see it how its meant to be seen.

Great trailer, nice to see some good character moments, Dwalin being honnest with Thorin, stressed Kili and worried Bilbo. The action scene were good, I'm really surprised that we didn't actually see Smaug at all though. I thought we would at least seen him airborne. I'm surprised by some comments about the CGI, for the most part I think it's great, the only two moments that seem off to me are the elves in front of Thranduil (on Megalocerous! Smile) and Bard and the close up of that white, fat orc or troll thing.

I'm sort of surprised to see Legolas fighting Bolg, I thought PJ mentioned somewhere that Beorn and Bolg would fight?

Yes, my username is terrible.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Post #105 of 348 (11418 views)
Shortcut
     It's almost ironic isn't it? [In reply to]  

That these films contain such strong themes surrounding the impact of industrialization and the destruction of the natural landscapes and yet The Hobbit has replaced 90% of these natural landscapes with artificial creations. Tongue

Scorchster
Rivendell

Post #106 of 348 (11390 views)
Shortcut
     Agreed. [In reply to]  

All this fighting over the CG is spoiling what should have been a wonderful and respectful discussion of all this vast new material we've just seen.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:49pm

Post #107 of 348 (11397 views)
Shortcut
     wonderful perspective [In reply to]  

this generation is so desensitized and spoiled that it is impossible to appreciate anything...even something as breathtaking as the world PJ has created.

It's TRAGIC!!!

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:50pm

Post #108 of 348 (11378 views)
Shortcut
     well you could argue [In reply to]  

that they wanted to lessen the footprint on shooting actual locations!

That said, I don't think The Hobbit trilogy is a lesson in restraint/simplicity by any means.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Nov 6 2014, 6:51pm)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 6:50pm

Post #109 of 348 (11457 views)
Shortcut
     All the long shots of hordes in a wide landscape... [In reply to]  

...look totally fake. The shot with all the arrows fired at once? Impossible. Yes, I know they're Elves and Elves are magical, but it looks fake.

The character shots look great, and all the drama appears right. I'm just hoping they get the CGI fixed in the movie.

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 6:51pm

Post #110 of 348 (11374 views)
Shortcut
     Re [In reply to]  

In general CGI irritates me bigtime. Which isn't to say that as CGI goes, Weta doesn't do the best job. And there is plenty of it here, and for many people anything more than its minor supplemental use has lost its luster. (This is why we're all tap-dancing at the promise of actual puppeteers and costumers getting trade work in Star Wars: The Force Awakens).

That said, nothing here looked atrocious to me. Or I should say - nothing looked "any more or any less atrocious" than any other previous Middle-earth trailers. There's such a massive difference in quality between, say, the DOS trailer (which featured unfinished elves, as we'll recall) and the finished product. And when I say "finished product" I mean the Extended Edition next year.

Think how bad Azog looked compared to the AUJ: EE. I'm sure those trolls will be refined. Think how much better the color-grading gets once it gets looked over again a second time.

Anyway, what did I especially like here? The thriller character focus and really quick action shots were nice. The threat of violence against a lot of characters was nice. The locations are nice - I'm less keen on the detours made in the second film (where have I heard that before?) but somehow the expansion of the "Big Battle" doesn't bother me especially much. Proper cinematic battles where Tolkien described them minimally are where P.J. has traditionally done good work. Splitting narratives and adding plot elements, not so much.

I have a feeling in spite of my favorite book moments happening in the last film, I'll like this one more. Erebor and the surrounding lands feel more solid and laid out and fleshed out and like they'll be explored. Ravenhill! We see plenty of old Ravenhill here. That brief shot of the overlook from Ravenhill of the burning Lake-town and Dale to the east is epic.

So the trailer ...

I'm glad to see more trolls. It breaks up the shapes in the army but also ties back to the three trolls in the first encounter, and then links to Fellowship quite well.

The bats! They actually surprised me. I remember P.J. saying he was going to do some "creature" stuff but it never occurred to me that the bats would be anything more than set-dressing. But those giant bats are a proper fantasy creature and are also right out of Sauron's history in The Silmarillion, where when he sacked the tower of Tol-in-Gaurhoth he filled it with his personal pets - werewolves and vampire bats. So it's lovely to see the wargs and bats of Gundabad really reflect that.

Speaking of Gundabad, it definitely has that "Orcish Capital" feeling. I like the rust red of Misty Mountain iron, it's a different color-scheme than we've seen. Even if it's just Leggy and Tauriel spying on the place briefly, it's nice art direction.

I'm generally excited to explore more of the interior of Erebor, as much so as the frozen exterior. We can double-dip with character beats and drama even as the funnier characters just generally "show us around".

Azog in armor looks fierce. That last shot of him vs. Thorin looks great. All the ice feels good and thematically poignant. Cold hearts and all that. Revenge being a dish best served on a frozen river. I'm just glad to see him put a shirt and some wools on. Being a Gundabad orc I guess the cold doesn't bother him much - I do appreciate the art team loading him up with classical "Barbarian" fashion, though.

There's not much else to comment on since it's mostly the primary players. OF COURSE Thranduil is a villain, that's the whole point. But the quick glimpses of Bard hanging on for dear life to his longbow and a big, black arrow are very promising to me. I genuinely don't want him to kill Smaug with that ballista, it will be very upsetting if he earns that Elf-respect with anything other than his massive longbow.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 6:52pm

Post #111 of 348 (11397 views)
Shortcut
     TORn's mods are the absolute worst... [In reply to]  

...except for all the mods on all the other sites on the net.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 6:52pm

Post #112 of 348 (11349 views)
Shortcut
     Re [In reply to]  

That's no trouble - it just means Bolg probably wins the fight!

Scorchster
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 6:53pm

Post #113 of 348 (11316 views)
Shortcut
     Heh, true... [In reply to]  

However, to be fair, it's not like many of the fantastical locations in the Hobbit story have suitable replacements in the real world.

Still, I was surprised to learn that the whole eagles and carrock scene in AUJ wasn't CGI, but an actual aerial shot on location!

Thranduiliel
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:53pm

Post #114 of 348 (11387 views)
Shortcut
     Ooh! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Frame-by-frame, and Tauriel seems to have had an arrow on her bow aimed at Thranduil!

Very intriguing! Could shape up to be a great scene! Smile

(This post was edited by Thranduiliel on Nov 6 2014, 6:54pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 6:54pm

Post #115 of 348 (11314 views)
Shortcut
     I know what you mean.... [In reply to]  

Because I did too.

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:54pm

Post #116 of 348 (11307 views)
Shortcut
     100% correct [In reply to]  

I'll give you an example-

If people had seen the spectacle and vision of even AUJ in 1995, it would have blown people's minds beyond anything they had ever seen, but now, simply with the passage of time, and an ADD, Social Media addicted generation of people who flock to Michael Bay films and have instant gratification at their disposal for any and all media in 1080p on a dozen mobile devices they can't stop twittering on , suddenly and mysteriously you have large swaths of people relegating mind-blowing visuals and cinematic visions into one note sentences of "boring." as they go write awful Thrones fan fiction and watch Naruto.

I will show you revenge...

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:55pm

Post #117 of 348 (11287 views)
Shortcut
     heh [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Legolas on the bats: "bred for a single purpose....war"

I did have to roll my eyes at the line. I half expected him to say "...to destroy the world of men." I don't know if they put it in there as reference to LOTR or not. It doesn't matter. Could they really not thing of something else to say instead? Or just not say anything.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Post #118 of 348 (11300 views)
Shortcut
     Splitting hairs... [In reply to]  

It's the "bred for a single purpose..." that hit me like a brick as soon as I heard it. Yet another nod/nudge to LotR that isn't needed, IMO
ETA cross-posted with Redgiraffe!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 6 2014, 6:59pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Post #119 of 348 (11302 views)
Shortcut
     so much THIS ! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
TORN ist right now the worst place to discuss this trailer.

What has happened?

It is so, so sad.

not interested in discussing about it as well...
all these "HOW BAD THE CGI LOOKS" is annoying.
Funny, since that reactions were so predictable...Crazy

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Nov 6 2014, 6:56pm)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Post #120 of 348 (11342 views)
Shortcut
     Fake CGI or highly stylized photography? [In reply to]  

I don't think any looks fake per se. Everything just has a very etherial, stylized look to it. The cgi itself is state of the art imho. Nothing in this trailer looks any worse to me than the battle at pellenore.

Lindele
Gondor

Post #121 of 348 (11276 views)
Shortcut
     i think most of the time [In reply to]  

people don't really know the difference between actual environments/sets/CGI...there is so much stitched together that often one shot contains all three....and this happened in LOTR constantly. The difference is that the clarity of the imagery in The Hobbit is much higher, and that there is in fact quite a bit more CGI.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:56pm

Post #122 of 348 (11282 views)
Shortcut
     the way people act [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Unimpressed

Both sides.

I completely agree with you. Everyone seems to be acting like children around here. Let's stop the name calling and assumptions and anger on both sides and just agree to disagree.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 6:56pm

Post #123 of 348 (11377 views)
Shortcut
     Several points of note for me: [In reply to]  

1) The Nine look AWESOME!
2) Elrond is wicked.
3) The brief clip of a flaming Sauron standing atop those stairs gave me chills.
4) Galadriel clutching at Elrond's leg as Saruman turns towards Sauron? Odd to see her looking so vulnerable, no?
5) I wonder who the big white pot-bellied troll is. Is he even a troll at all? Might be he's the commander of the Gundabad army.
6) Thranduil fighting Tauriel?
7) Also, Tauriel getting whooped by Bolg. My guess is Bolg kills Kili and Tauriel comes to his rescue.
8) Looking like Legolas gets to kill Bolg. Unless Bolg whoops him and Beorn intervenes.
9) Is that a standard arrow that Bard uses to stop himself falling off the roof? He's also clutching a bow in his other hand... I'm guessing he uses his bow to kill Smaug.

(This post was edited by Rosie-with-the-ribbons on Nov 6 2014, 8:19pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:57pm

Post #124 of 348 (11312 views)
Shortcut
     I'm just happy that Gandalf [In reply to]  

HAS HIS STAFF FROM LOTR!!!!

adu
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:58pm

Post #125 of 348 (11273 views)
Shortcut
     I agree... [In reply to]  

The dramatic beats seem right and I'm sure the CGI will be tweaked a bit for for the final film. I give credit to PJ that despite knowing full well what happens in the book, I'm still incredibly excited to see how it's presented on film...because it will always be different than how each reader imagines it (and so it should be I feel). Yes there are changes, but no change yet has taken me totally out of the movie or the story that remains untold.

Very excited.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.