BOT5A TRAILER 2 OUT!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:22pm

Post #51 of 348 (9625 views)
Shortcut
     Or maybe... [In reply to]  

Because of... you know... opinions and stuff?

Our destiny lies above us.

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:23pm

Post #52 of 348 (9643 views)
Shortcut
     What's your background in CG? [In reply to]  

By your statement, you must be an authority, with vast experience to know so much about the current state of pre-viz in the industry to accurately judge fx shots in a way that is more than simply an uninformed opinion.

I have never seen pre-viz look this good. If you want to see ACTUAL pre-viz, watch the Into the Fire video on the EE, and they show ACTUAL pre-viz CG in it, so you can then compare and see your statement is not supported by any facts.

I will show you revenge...

(This post was edited by Smaug Report on Nov 6 2014, 6:28pm)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Post #53 of 348 (9759 views)
Shortcut
     But Thranduil is a villian [In reply to]  

Or portrayed as having antagonistic qualities to our heroes. He is shown to be a coward and selfish and vain. Obviously he's more complex, but his role within the narrative (at least in film 2) is as a villian.

I'm sure BOTFA will show his complexity, but it's a two minute trailer. You can't really judge based on that. Just you wait! Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Post #54 of 348 (9605 views)
Shortcut
     Or [In reply to]  

others are trollish.....pov I guess

Loresilme
Valinor

Post #55 of 348 (9588 views)
Shortcut
     lol yes that's exactly how I felt!! [In reply to]  

ShockedSmileShockedSlyLaughSmile *overload* lol!!

Angharad73
Rohan

Post #56 of 348 (9632 views)
Shortcut
     Having a hard time... [In reply to]  

...to express my feelings on this. Parts of the trailer are excellent and get me all excited for the movie, while other parts are just...

Love Thorin, as always. And do we see Bilbo climbing down the wall there to deliver the Arkenstone into 'enemy hands'? Loved that bit. Oh, and Dwalin! Love Dwalin!

Thranduil -love the look, but he seems a bit too riled up there. I can't see him say "Long will I tarry..." if he's worked up like that. And that would be a shame.

And then there's that whole Kili/Tauriel thing, which is a big disappointment to me.

So, overall it's pretty much 50/50 for me.

Olorin2607
Lorien

Post #57 of 348 (9584 views)
Shortcut
     The point is.. [In reply to]  

...that right away you go for the negative bits as if nothing else was any good. And you make it seem as if the whole movie is "bad" because of some unfinished CGI.

There ARE flaws of course.. but like 1 minute after watching the trailer is not really the right time to focus on them.

redgiraffe
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:24pm

Post #58 of 348 (9700 views)
Shortcut
     tauriel [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Well now we know how Tauriel dies, thanks spoilerific trailer! Sweet trailer though, cant wait!

Am I the only one who thinks it looked like Thranduil cuts her throat with his sword? LOL Watch closely again.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Silranhir
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:26pm

Post #59 of 348 (9568 views)
Shortcut
     Fans [In reply to]  

In Reply To
most of us need anything to 'rescue the series'...it's been a good series with many flaws (like LOTR) and this will be an appropriate, epic, flawed and emotional ending to it.

Anyone looking for negativity will be sure to find it.

The hardcore element never will. The general public who are the majority will though. This trilogy gets no where near Lord of the Rings and in parts is a bit of a disaster.

The biggest downside is the overuse of CGI and fake environments which take away from what LOTR gave us. A big part of Middle Earth are the locations which in LOTR were real. Losing them for the hobbit has took away from the emotion of the films.

(This post was edited by Silranhir on Nov 6 2014, 6:27pm)

adt100
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:26pm

Post #60 of 348 (9570 views)
Shortcut
     Are you trolling here, seriously? [In reply to]  

I've just watched it 3 times, HD, full screen on my 27" iMac. I'm not sure about the 'panzer tank' trolls, but other than that it looks spectacular! I know 'everyone has an opinion', but quite frankly if you think it was bad then you must have different eyes to me! The CGI has throughout the films got bigger and better, sure there are odd glitches and imperfections, but there were FAR MORE than in the LOTR films. I just watched the back to back EE's recently and whilst Gollum and other effects stand up, the CGI is certainly not as good. Yet, this is by WETA, the same people, only with more experience, more money, more talent. The CGI IS better, markedly so, it is merely certain people that remain annoyed by it's use.

Smaug Report
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:27pm

Post #61 of 348 (9551 views)
Shortcut
     No one is "sheepish" [In reply to]  

It's painfully obvious by the tone and demeanor of the negative posts here, that not only do they not represent a constructive, fair critique of anything, but that people are enjoying being nasty. You can smell the arrogance a mile away.

I don't smell sheep, but I sure do smell Trolls.

What I do see is people not being smug enough to think that they can simplify a work of cinema that is so complex like this, down to a simple "meh", which is the go-to "look how cool I am, I'm so cool in fact, I only write in single, disdainful sentences without periods, or in single words, to show people how little I care, oh, wait I am taking the time to post something nasty and unfair, it looks like I do have an agenda...oopsie."

I also see people allowing themselves to get lost in a beautiful, epic fantasy world and trying to enjoy something for what it is, instead of what they think it should be, or how they could make it better, keep in mind if that were true, the people saying they could do better, IF they could ACTUALLY do better, wouldn't have time to moan on an internet message board, because they would be too busy in a movie career using their obviously superior talents.

I will show you revenge...

(This post was edited by Smaug Report on Nov 6 2014, 6:32pm)

Scorchster
Rivendell

Post #62 of 348 (9594 views)
Shortcut
     Thought it might've been a slap [In reply to]  

AshNazg
Gondor

Post #63 of 348 (9573 views)
Shortcut
     Or you could just pause it at 0:32 and agree that it's terrible [In reply to]  

Unless they were going for the mannequin elf clones look?

Obviously "pre-viz" is an intentional exaggeration.

Macfeast
Rohan

Post #64 of 348 (9556 views)
Shortcut
     Fantastic. [In reply to]  

I won't say that this is my favorite trailer... but it is definitely up there among them. So much goodness, so much to love.

My only complaint? That people aren't allowed to dislike it without being compared to trolls.

(This post was edited by Macfeast on Nov 6 2014, 6:28pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:28pm

Post #65 of 348 (9538 views)
Shortcut
     Even a short glance, Saruman does it all for me [In reply to]  

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 6:28pm

Post #66 of 348 (9523 views)
Shortcut
     The way people act in this thread is sad. [In reply to]  

Unimpressed

Both sides.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 6 2014, 6:29pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 6:29pm

Post #67 of 348 (9479 views)
Shortcut
     No, it's because [In reply to]  

in my case, I connected much more with, and was much more affected by, the much more emotional tone of this trailer. I found there was so much going on in terms of character in this trailer that for me, the CGI was secondary. Very secondary.

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:29pm

Post #68 of 348 (9493 views)
Shortcut
     what's funny [In reply to]  

is that people keep complaining about 'bad CG' which clearly illustrates their lack of knowledge/experience on the subject because 98% of the CG is REALLY GOOD...and what they are seeing that is 'bad' to them is the digital look of the film mixed with a lot of CG plus highly compressed internet versions of the file.

It's not that all of the CG is bad, there are a lot of other factors involved.

greenbalrog
Bree

Nov 6 2014, 6:30pm

Post #69 of 348 (9537 views)
Shortcut
     So, Thranduil kills Tauriel? [In reply to]  

It seems so.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:31pm

Post #70 of 348 (9404 views)
Shortcut
     me too~ [In reply to]  

The character beats and emotion is so strong in this trailer, that a little bad cgi (that is clearly not finished but due to the pressure of marketing/advertising they have to release it anyway) does not ruin it for me in the slightest. Angelic

December 17th can't come soon enough!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

adt100
Rohan

Nov 6 2014, 6:31pm

Post #71 of 348 (9479 views)
Shortcut
     Because of course we didn't have that in FOTR, TTT or ROTK? [In reply to]  

Difference being, back then trailers came out in 640p and not full HD that you can view on 27" + screens!

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2014, 6:32pm

Post #72 of 348 (9439 views)
Shortcut
     All I can say is... [In reply to]  

Never mind the good/bad CGI arguments, I just can't believe we have yet another recycled line from the first trilogy - Legolas on the bats: "bred for a single purpose....war"

plus the Kili/Tauriel thing - yuck! Crazy

But the rest looks...interesting! Smile

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Nov 6 2014, 6:33pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Post #73 of 348 (9416 views)
Shortcut
     Also when they fire, they're all apparently left-handed! // [In reply to]  

tsmith675
Gondor

Post #74 of 348 (9474 views)
Shortcut
     Two shots of iffy CGI... [In reply to]  

does not = bad trailer.

I don't get people. This trailer is really fantastic. From a storytelling aspect, not an action aspect, this trailer is flawless. And the action part of it is still really great as well. Yes, some of the CGI needs cleaned up, and I'm sure it will be until the moment the film hits theaters. But seriously, find something better to do than complain about a few brief seconds of not-so-great CGI in an otherwise flawless trailer.

Our destiny lies above us.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2014, 6:33pm

Post #75 of 348 (9397 views)
Shortcut
     Please stop the bickering [In reply to]  

amongst each other about opinions.
If somebody likes it or not, that is up to them.
Nobody has the one opinion.

This isn't just for you, Smaug Report, but also the others in this thread.

If you don't like the opinion of somebody, just ignore it.

Thanks!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.