The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
35 minute pitch reel?

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 13 (1623 views)
Shortcut
35 minute pitch reel? Can't Post

I've been reading PJ's biography (by Brian Sibley) and last night I ready about the 35 minute "documentary" that PJ and Fran made to pitch to studios once they decided to leave Miramax.

I'd love to see that "pitch reel". Was it ever posted made available to us, either officially, or leaked? If so, any idea where I can find it?

Thanks!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 7 2014, 3:34am

Post #2 of 13 (1272 views)
Shortcut
The pitch reel [In reply to] Can't Post

The pitch reel, made on VHS, is fascinating. I saw it in 2004 when I was researching my book, The Frodo Franchise. A few clips from it were used in the EE DVD supplements for Fellowship, but otherwise none of it has been made public--not even leaked, as far as I know. That may be because there was only one copy. (I think the one I saw was the same one shown to Bob Shaye, since it was marked "NTSC," the American video standard.) It was no doubt kept stored in a very safe place and couldn't be copied. It surely was backed up digitally at some point. Why it has not been included as a supplement on one of the DVD/BD releases, I don't know. I can't recall anything that would have caused a copyright problem. Maybe they're saving it for a future release with additional bonus features. I hope so! That and the Cannes 24-minute preview, which has also never been released. That was made in 35mm and was very impressive.

Kristin

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 7 2014, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 13 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info! You are fortunate to have been able to see what for some of us will undoubtedly become "holy grails". :)

Perhaps we'll see those promo films on a re-release, but it seems like the next re-release would be 4K, 3D, and/or 48FPS. Would those promo films hold up well in an even higher-res format than blu-ray? VHS sounds particularly rough! Still, I would love to seem those films!

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 7 2014, 6:44pm

Post #4 of 13 (1132 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fortunate indeed in the amount of access I got to the filmmakers while doing my research. (Largely thanks for Barrie Osborne's extraordinary support).

The pitch tape was made quickly, and although it was effective, it will look a bit amateurish beside other supplements. I'm sure fans would forgive that, though, if they could see it! The Cannes preview was in 35mm and looked great--since it was all made from footage from the films themselves. It would hold up as well as the LOTR films if put into Blu-ray or some other HD format.

Kristin

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 7 2014, 6:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Do [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you remember any footage not in the final film?

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Nov 7 2014, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (1131 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible there was something brief that didn't make it into the films and I didn't notice it. The preview was shown at Cannes in May of 2001, so it would be rather surprising if every single shot eventually got into the final films. But the bulk of the preview film was a large portion of the Moria scene: the chase, collapsing stone stairway, ending with the extreme long shot where the Balrog first appears. That sequence was rushed through early in 2001 so that the score and special effects would be ready in time. I don't think it was significantly changed. Before and after the Moria scene, there were montages of shots from all three films, sketching out the plot. Since those montages were showing key moments in the plot, presumably most of them were kept in. I would have to dig out my notes to be more specific, but I do remember Sam's "I can't carry it, but I can carry you!" being there.

Kristin

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 8 2014, 10:37pm

Post #7 of 13 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, I ask, because there are some snippets of music for the Moria scenes that are not in the final film or the complete recordings, in the appendices and video games.

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 9 2014, 3:29am

Post #8 of 13 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Watch the DOS EE [In reply to] Can't Post

During the section in Music on the Hobbit called 1st Movement: The World Of Men there is a quite a decent portion of it talking about the Cannes Film Festival footage. And they show some of the sequence.

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 9 2014, 3:39pm

Post #9 of 13 (1087 views)
Shortcut
LotR or Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does the DOS EE talk about Cannes footage for LotR or the Hobbit?

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 9 2014, 6:44pm

Post #10 of 13 (1090 views)
Shortcut
LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR.

tripecac
Rivendell

Nov 9 2014, 8:24pm

Post #11 of 13 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, yet another reason I'm so very anxious to get the DOS EE! Come on Amazon, faster, faster!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 17 2014, 3:34pm

Post #12 of 13 (990 views)
Shortcut
I recall in the EE appendices somewhere the early [In reply to] Can't Post

illustrated story boards that were shown as film...black and white images fluttering by and then some early test scenes with different actors etc.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 21 2014, 1:31am

Post #13 of 13 (1066 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking we will see this one day [In reply to] Can't Post

There's so much material they can include on an Ultimate edition of LOTR. This would definitely be a brilliant feature to include! I'm sure Peter's got the tape at home somewhere...:D

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.