The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Very happy with DOS EE Collector edition figure and BR case

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 5 2014, 11:44pm

Post #1 of 1 (655 views)
Shortcut
Very happy with DOS EE Collector edition figure and BR case Can't Post

So happily I have had the Collector Edition Amazon Exclusive preordered for a while, and it came a day early. Impressions of the figure: It's larger than I thought it would be, somehow. And at this price point since I am "face-fussy" I hafta say the sculpts are probably as accurate as you could get at this scale - we are talking heads that are about the size of a hazelnut. From a few feet away it's a dead-on likeness.

And at this scale IMO the paint work and detail is truly amazing - for instance Kili's face has a wash of dark for his stubble, Bilbo's brow is furrowed and you can see that, Thorin looks like Thorin, the barrels have little rivets, the shirts are molded and flow like wet cloth would look, the hair is sculpted like wet hair, Thorin's hair is a true deep espresso as it should be - not black, but espresso - all of it is beautifully detailed. There's a kind of aliveness to this little vignette and I am just delighted with the piece, and very impressed at this price point. Feel it looks better in hand than in the pictures, and for me that is a surprise, usually it's the other way.....

A much different experience than the Noble company Erebor bookends which I am glad to have, but I had some shipping breakage problemsFrown and well, this WETA piece has left me very HAPPYSmile and wistful that there aren't other little barrel groupings like this. I know WETA put out individual barrel figures but I just like this little grouping with the water churning up (also beautifully done)HeartHeartHeart. The set came nicely packed, no chips or anything - the most fragile point probably being the orc sword Thorin is holding, so I will want to keep this from the pets and rough handling. But this will look fantastic on a shelf - my first WETA figure!

I don't pay a huge amount of attention to BR/DVD cases tho I would have preferred something truly outstanding for the Hobbit movies as I love them so much (as well as having something besides black discs). But love the 3-D case w. Smaug and Bilbo - it is just really, really cool to look at.

I know a lot of folks wanted Smaug as a figure but I may try for the WETA "mini-Smaug" one day - in the meantime tho I think this collectible is worthy of the fantastic DOS EE and like having a tiny frame from the film in 3D on a shelf next to you.HeartHeartHeart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.