Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Angel Dress?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 1 2008, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 13 (11735 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Angel Dress? Can't Post

Since we talked about Eowyn's first dress last time, I thought we might talk about Arwen's first dress this week. There are actually two dresses at work in this scene. The one most of us recognize is actually a pick-up scene from later in the shooting schedule. The original dress, which still appears for a moment in the film while Arwen rides, looked like this:

From the EE DVD commentary... The original dress was of wool woven with metal, with a terrific drape to it, an unusual find, as were many of the elven clothes. The Cape she wears was crocheted and hooded, and also of wool and metal crocheted together into a fabric. This gave the 'halo' effect. However, when they filmed her sitting beside Frodo it all got too heavy and clumpy, so they scrapped that part and made the 'Angel dress' we are familiarly with instead, with a crossover, not unintentionally, but because they liked the 'Halo Cloak' for the dismount, The new dress was more "heavily beaded with gems and jewels", and they didn't use the cloak for that part of the scene."

AlleyCatScratch has a wonderful breakdown of the differences between the two dresses.

The final dress was two dresses, the overdress of a synthetic and metal knit fabric and the underdress is a crinkled silk/metal mix. It has a silver trim along the neckline and a much smaller beaded trim along all of the edges (except the hem). Ngila says in the commentary that from this dress they developed the shape of the wardrobe for Arwen. Wide open necklines with fabric fitted only at the neck and left to hang to the floor.

As always, I refer you to AlleyCatScratch and the Costumer's Guide for more details and pictures.

So, any thoughts or comments?

"Very funny, guys. Now get me out of this post!!"

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

_V_
Lorien

Mar 2 2008, 12:26am

Post #2 of 13 (9049 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed this was two dresses [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Elven
Valinor

Mar 2 2008, 4:01am

Post #3 of 13 (9061 views)
Shortcut
So the Halo dress.... [In reply to] Can't Post

actually were pants! Is that right ... pallazzo pants?

I adore both outfits - gee Ngila came up with some astounding combinations! Arwen looks fantastic in both ... its a pity the shawl/cloak was a bit cumbersome, I love it!! Maybe I know what to crochet this winter now ... must remember 42 inches long and twice as wide ... hmmm ... it will be a blanket on me Wink

Isn't the sleeve design beautiful! and such lovely delicate detail.

Arwen was spoilt rotten with those designs - they are just lovely. I remeber when I first saw Arwen appear, and she was like an Angel - quite 'divine' ...

I love these threads!!

Thanks Arwen's daughter ... off back to Allyscratch to check out some more...

Cheers
Elven x

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 2 2008, 11:11pm

Post #4 of 13 (9031 views)
Shortcut
Angel Dress is a perfect description [In reply to] Can't Post

of this outfit. Not just because of its flowing, angelic appearance... but because as she approached our stricken Frodo lying in his poisoned haze, she appeared as an angel and gave him something other than the darkness to latch onto.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 3 2008, 5:48pm

Post #5 of 13 (9016 views)
Shortcut
Never realised ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that there are two dresses, not one! Oh well, I don't have the best eye for this sort of thing Unsure - but you're about to change that.

This halo effect is great, as are both dresses - I'm always amazed what Ngila did and what beautiful materials she found to use for these many dresses.

All I can say is: No wonder Liv was so excited about all the beautiful dresses she got to wear during the filming!

Thank you for posting these wonderful pictures!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2008, 11:44pm

Post #6 of 13 (8989 views)
Shortcut
It always catches my eye . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the effect of having Arwen in this dress during Frodo's point of view, and then it changes to her elven clothes when we back out of the light. It's very effective, and does make her seem like an angel. It's indeed a very beautiful dress. Smile

"Death is just another pathway . . . one that we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Mar 4 2008, 1:28am

Post #7 of 13 (8992 views)
Shortcut
When I watch the Oscars… [In reply to] Can't Post

and I see all the actresses walking down the red carpet in their designer gowns I think how cool it would be, and how classy it would be, if someone had Ngila Dickson design them a gown for the Oscars. Something like this one.

_V_
Lorien

Mar 4 2008, 2:24am

Post #8 of 13 (8993 views)
Shortcut
costume [In reply to] Can't Post

while I like the costuming, I think Arwen's intro remains one of the most forced sequences in the entire trilogy.

Tyler's Arwen was actually not half bad, but her first seen happened to be relatively her worst (most out of character)

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 4 2008, 5:42pm

Post #9 of 13 (9051 views)
Shortcut
pants! [In reply to] Can't Post

actually were pants! Is that right ... pallazzo pants?
That's right, they used pants on the first version. Because it's so difficult to look elegant when riding astride with your skirt pulled up to your knees Cool

Isn't the sleeve design beautiful! and such lovely delicate detail.
That's one thing I love about their designs, they never took anything for granted. Something as simple as a basic sleeve was changed to make it more elven. The details are fantastic.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 4 2008, 5:57pm

Post #10 of 13 (8995 views)
Shortcut
Movie Magic! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Never Realized ... that there are two dresses, not one!

If it weren't for the eyes of others, I'd never have caught it either! The filmmakers do an excellent job of disguising things here.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 4 2008, 6:23pm

Post #11 of 13 (8957 views)
Shortcut
Of course [In reply to] Can't Post

When the Lótien cloaks can change their colour to disguise the bearer from discovery, then Arwen's dress can change, too ;-)

And I think, one can watch the movies for the 50th time and still discover something new with each viewing. That is one of the reasons why I love them so much - there are so many little details in the background. The engravings on weapons, the texture or embroidery on dresses, the architecture, simple household props like mugs or dishes or Bilbos books ... or, in this case, the magical change of a dress. It is impossible to take all this in in one viewing. At first it gives only the feeling everything is real, and later, when the storyline doesn't distract so much anymore, you're finding more and more wonderful things. And these scrapshots are a great way to have a better look at details.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elven
Valinor

Mar 8 2008, 1:26am

Post #12 of 13 (8956 views)
Shortcut
You made me laugh at the reply! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's right, they used pants on the first version. Because it's so difficult to look elegant when riding astride with your skirt pulled up to your knees

Thats just great geeky information!! Smile

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 9 2008, 5:07pm

Post #13 of 13 (9036 views)
Shortcut
hard to believe one of these costumes was "clunky"... [In reply to] Can't Post

But looking at that cloak, I can see why they scrapped it. It is clunky!

I agree with others that this particular dress, and the way they filmed, has a very ethereal quality about it. Makes me believe it would be the kind of thing that elves would weave.

Weaver

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.