Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you ever dream about Middle-earth?
Poll: Do you ever dream about Middle-earth?
Always
Often
Occasionally
Rarely
Never
View Results (43 votes)

Arveldis
Rivendell

Nov 5 2014, 5:46am

Post #1 of 20 (671 views)
Shortcut
Do you ever dream about Middle-earth? Can't Post

It could be the characters, actors, crew, etc.

If you have any interesting dreams you'd like to share, please post them in your replies. Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 5 2014, 5:59am

Post #2 of 20 (482 views)
Shortcut
you'll know the content of my dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

if you keep reading my fan fic Tongue

I am constantly daydreaming, or dreaming at night, of the story, and of the elements/scenarios I am trying to work out for my fic. I am an extremely visual person, so if I can "watch" a scene in my head, then I can write it. And to me, a book is no good if a scene cannot be "watched" as well Smile

I cannot tell you the number of times I've come up with a story via dreaming or daydreaming, and how many times I've composed a song during a dream (often wacky dreams) where the song was fantastic but I wake up and it's fading and I don't remember all the words Frown I've tried writing some things down, namely the song lyrics, when I wake up, but it fades fairly quickly- at least, the beginning of the song does Unsure

At least dreaming about Middle-earth and the Quest of Erebor helps me come up with my story- many creative minds supposedly have had "discoveries" while dreaming. And that's most definitely true for me, at least where writing is concerned Cool

Plus, it can help get me to sleep if it's eluding me (it happens a lot Evil)

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Nov 5 2014, 6:00am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 5 2014, 9:40am

Post #3 of 20 (457 views)
Shortcut
A couple of times [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing too memorable though.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 5 2014, 4:01pm

Post #4 of 20 (454 views)
Shortcut
Occasionally [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to dream about ME more often when I start getting excited as each movie approaches. I wasn't a Tolkien fan when AUJ came out, but last year when DOS was approaching, I had more and more ME dreams the closer it got to the premier date. One of them I described here in a thread asking about DOS dreams on Main.

I've also dreamed about the actors themselves, most often about Lee Pace, (surprise, surpriseTongue) but also about a couple of the other actors and PJ. Those were just the standard "I wish I could meet these people" dreams where they were out of character and just being themselves.

As for dreams of the characters, sometimes I've had nightmares about Azog chasing me, I've had good and bad dreams about Smaug, I've had good dreams about the hobbit and dwarves and elves and men from both LOTR and the Hobbit, both movies and books and occasionally the Lego video game versions. Most recently I was having a nightmare that was unrelated to ME, woke up, happened to glance at my Thranduil poster, fell asleep and then had a good dream about Bard and Thranduil meeting before the battle of five armies and doing negotiations.

Other than dreaming about me being part of the crew, I don't think I've dreamed about the crew members themselves.

joec_34
Rivendell

Nov 5 2014, 5:13pm

Post #5 of 20 (445 views)
Shortcut
Never. Now I'm jealous of all you who have done so! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 5 2014, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 20 (459 views)
Shortcut
Not as much recently. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had lots of them from 2000 to 2004. I posted a few of them here

One that wasn't in that list has stuck with me. It was right after I'd read about some horrific tortures that Saddam Hussein was using on people. I dreamed that night that I was in a group of people who blew up a building he was in. But there were other people in the building, and I felt awful that they had died too. Then Arwen gathered up their ashes and wept over them, and they came back to life.

Frequently in my dreams I see the action against a backdrop of a map of Middle Earth. That one was happening near Isengard.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 5 2014, 11:11pm

Post #7 of 20 (439 views)
Shortcut
Often... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I think I don't have to mention who's in my dreams a lot, but since I'm a fan of both the character and the actor, I sometimes dream about RA as well (though those dreams aren't nearly as romantic as the ones about Thorin. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of his other work yet). Sometimes, some of the other Hobbit characters (and actors, since once I dreamt about the dwarvish cast in their bathing suits. Where did that come from) are in my dreams as well, like the dream I had shortly before DoS came to theaters, where I dreamt I missed the premiere only to get scolded by Thorin (more the scolding he gives Bilbo in Bag End, so it wasn't that much of a scolding). I think Dwalin was there too, and we forgot the Hobbit! Poor Bilbo gets left behind even in some of our subconscious minds. I've even had a dream about Thorin that was related to a character I play on another Tolkien site, but I'm afraid that one is a little too intense to share on a family friendly site such as this. I even had a dream about BoFA where I was in the theater and Thorin survived, so I kind of got worked up for nothing (I seemed to be the only one that did, so you can imagine my embarrassment).Smile

Arveldis
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 2:50am

Post #8 of 20 (427 views)
Shortcut
Interesting dreams! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never really remember mine that well, so I can't say how good any of mine have been, but yours sound awesome! I would love to have one that's a Narnia/Middle-earth crossover (or maybe I have and just can't remember).

I do remember having one sort of nightmare related to Middle-earth: it was that orcs were taking over the world. It was scary, but I don't recall being particularly terrified by it.

Hmm... I should try that. I have a poster of the Company on my wall in my bedroom; maybe it could help with some nice dreams. Smile

Arveldis
Rivendell

Nov 6 2014, 4:22am

Post #9 of 20 (441 views)
Shortcut
I might have guessed... [In reply to] Can't Post

that it would be Thorin. Wink

I've dreamed about him/RA too. I even got to meet RA once in a dream. Of course, 90% of the dream was nonsense, and it was only in the last few minutes that I got to meet him. Unfortunately, he only got out "hello" (I say he because I was too awed and stunned to utter anything, even nonsensical babbling) before the dream ended. Unsure

As for the dream about the actors in their bathing suits, perhaps it was based off of the dwarves in Rivendell in the AUJ EE or the "naughty dwarf" calendar that was mentioned in a few interviews? Whatever it came from, it sounds hilarious.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 6 2014, 7:05pm

Post #10 of 20 (420 views)
Shortcut
rarely [In reply to] Can't Post

but Sean Bean shows up in my dreams a lot.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 9:15am

Post #11 of 20 (399 views)
Shortcut
I answered "never', but [In reply to] Can't Post

i do often have "movie" dreams, where i'm watching a movie, then later in the dream i'm in the move, interacting with it's world. And even though i don't ever remember having a LotR dream, my "movie" dreams happen often enough that i don't doubt that i've had a LotR dream and just don't remember it.

Although i did just remember a very vague memory of a dream that i had just before AUJ came out where i was in the theater watching the movie and all kinds of anachronistic stuff was in the movie like cars and light bulbs and out of place actors like Jim Carrey or Demi Moore.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 8 2014, 12:20am

Post #12 of 20 (395 views)
Shortcut
Well . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I once dreamed about a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before me under a swift sunrise.

WAIT! All seriousness aside - did I dream that or plagiarize?

. . . .All seriousness back, I voted "rarely" which seems ludicrous as my mind spends four hours a day thinking "Middle-earth" - and I have no control over it. Maybe some meditation. . . OMmmm... ShockedShocked

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 8 2014, 1:13am

Post #13 of 20 (391 views)
Shortcut
Ps – Insomnia cure. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

As I was in bed waiting for the Land of Nod, instead of counting sheep I would name Tolkien names. I would usually start with the Nine Walkers, then back up to the thirteen Dwarves, follow thru The Hobbit into LOTR.

Back in the ‘70s and ‘80s I could give well over 100 names of characters from just the two novels. Well, looking back, I’m not sure if this helped me fall asleep, just relaxed me, or maybe even kept me awake – going for a new record.

I’m sure that most book aficionados on this site could push 100 easily. Try it sometime when you unable to reach slumberland.

Arveldis
Rivendell

Nov 8 2014, 3:52am

Post #14 of 20 (399 views)
Shortcut
Only four hours? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I easily spend much more time than that. Now that I think about it, it's actually quite scary how much time I spend thinking about Middle-earth. It's a wonder I get anything done...

I don't have many Middle-earth dreams, or at least I can't remember them, so I fall into the occasionally/rarely section too.

Naming Middle-earth characters sounds like an excellent idea! The last time I made an effort to name every character I could think of I got a fair number. Counting sheep never helped me, so maybe this will. Thank you for the suggestion. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 8 2014, 9:47am

Post #15 of 20 (385 views)
Shortcut
This reminds me... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of how I was lying in the bed trying to recall the names of the thirteen dwarves not too long ago. Laugh

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 8 2014, 2:02pm

Post #16 of 20 (371 views)
Shortcut
Ok, my memory [In reply to] Can't Post

was in a different category back in the ‘70s, ‘80s as I have now lost about a third of my brain mass. But I’ll give a no-peeky go at the 13.
Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Balin, Dwalin, Nori, Ori, Fili, Kili, Thorin *** (thinking) *** ah, Dori, Gloin, and NOPE had to look up Oin fer heck’s sake. Crazy

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2014, 3:02am

Post #17 of 20 (373 views)
Shortcut
Rarely, fortunately. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I recall dreaming about it, it was Gandalf, Aragorn, and Legolas on stage in some musical, and it was embarrassing.

The second time, all the Dwarves and the filming crew were in the library at the school where I work, and they were setting up a scene with all of them sitting around one of the long tables in here. It was very confusing, and I woke up before the filming started. Tongue

Curunir The White
The Shire

Nov 9 2014, 7:31pm

Post #18 of 20 (373 views)
Shortcut
Does he get killed off before the end of your dream? [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Nov 10 2014, 7:59pm

Post #19 of 20 (354 views)
Shortcut
bwaaah! [In reply to] Can't Post

No. My dreams about Sean are, uh, this is a family board so let's call them wish fulfillment dreams . . .

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 17 2014, 9:12pm

Post #20 of 20 (376 views)
Shortcut
Yes my precious, but we has had only three :( [In reply to] Can't Post

The only one which was really interesting was the third, in which Evangeline Lilly and (I think) Billy Boyd turned up at our house! But most of the time they were here, I was doing a puzzle at the kitchen table, or making a fool of myself. Blush Never thought to ask for their autographs or anything... Oh, and it turned out they were engaged...

(This post was edited by Gianna on Nov 17 2014, 9:13pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.