Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
someone's offering their movie's UV code for free- isn't this illegal?

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 5 2014, 5:31am

Post #1 of 21 (362 views)
Shortcut
someone's offering their movie's UV code for free- isn't this illegal? Can't Post

[link removed]

I'm surprised it has 23 comments on it so far...

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Nov 5 2014, 4:36pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 5 2014, 4:35pm

Post #2 of 21 (251 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

We took a look at this, and realized that as tempting as it is to give it away, it's not supposed to be done.

So we'll be putting a halt to the activity. Thank you for the heads-up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 5 2014, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 21 (240 views)
Shortcut
I knew it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 5 2014, 11:51pm

Post #4 of 21 (237 views)
Shortcut
are you cyberstalking me on the feedback forum? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 5 2014, 11:53pm

Post #5 of 21 (240 views)
Shortcut
Think of it this way [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually done people a huge favor with this- the quality on the HD download sucks. This way, they'll buy their own hard copy and get a MUCH better quality movie viewing experience as a result Cool

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 12:09am

Post #6 of 21 (247 views)
Shortcut
Oh, believe me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no problem with your upstanding moral standards and your decisive reporting of wrongdoings.

I agree, you're doing a great service. Keep it up!

And no, I haven't begun stalking you just yet.Wink

I had noticed that the thread had been locked and thought I should check out Feedback in order to
confirm my sneaking suspicion.Sly

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 6 2014, 12:11am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 12:12am

Post #7 of 21 (242 views)
Shortcut
It's really hard [In reply to] Can't Post

to tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic on here Tongue

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 12:26am

Post #8 of 21 (255 views)
Shortcut
Dead serious // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 9:25pm

Post #9 of 21 (217 views)
Shortcut
wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

really?

got nothin' ta do?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2014, 9:28pm

Post #10 of 21 (216 views)
Shortcut
We ask people [In reply to] Can't Post

to raise on Feedback any questions they might have. As it happens, the admins are discussing this issue right now.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lindele
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 9:34pm

Post #11 of 21 (219 views)
Shortcut
I'm irritated [In reply to] Can't Post

that we were threatened to have our accounts removed for being generous, and I have found no evidence to back up this act being illegal.
If it makes you guys uncomfortable? Great, no problem...just tell us to stop. No body is gonna care. But I was offended.

And then this...just seems a little 'tattle-tale' ish if you ask me. As if we are all a bunch of thugs trying to run a business on here.

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 6 2014, 9:37pm

Post #12 of 21 (209 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry you were offended by me pointing this out [In reply to] Can't Post

but it is illegal, and if saying so is a bad thing, then fine I'm a bad person. But I wouldn't want people to get in trouble with the law by effectually committing what (at least in the US) is a felony offense. That sort of offense can haunt a person for their entire lives, especially when it comes to employment (it's theft of intellectual property, and ANY business that buys or sells a service or product will not hire a person who has committed theft and has a criminal record of doing so).

Movie piracy isn't something that solely exists just so that it takes thirty seconds longer to get a film started. It is an actual crime, punishable by 5 years in prison, or a $200,000 fine, and a felony charge on a criminal record. This cast and crew has worked VERY hard on these films, and because customers are giving away their HD codes, they are losing what would potentially be income on the sales of the dvd, because the people who take the codes are quintessentially obtaining the film for free.

It's no different than breaking into a movie store and stealing a dvd. And I point these threads out because some people may not be aware that it's illegal, and because TORn could get into serious trouble if they allow such threads to continue, because then they're legally held culpable for facilitating an illegal exchange.

Sorry if that puts your panties in a twist, but I'm still going to inform the admins of illegal activity on the boards, for the sake of the cast and crew, TORn, and the members on this site. That trumps your objections that I have "nothing better to do" than be a whistleblower.

Which, quite frankly, I'm getting tired of being called.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2014, 9:52pm

Post #13 of 21 (203 views)
Shortcut
Take a deep breath Lindele. [In reply to] Can't Post

Occasionally we find ourselves having to catch up on what we should and shouldn't do when it comes to technology developments. Once we have a clear-cut decision on this we'll post it here.

That you were offended by us stepping in is unfortunate and certainly wasn't intended - but we will always look closely at something that could cause problems for TORN around legality.

As for 'tattling', we rely on board members to be another set of eyes for us about any potential problems, especially around times like these when there is a lot of discussion going on and things can pass us by. As with any other discussion if you're annoyed by it and can't keep within the Terms of Service with your reply - such as not making other board members feeling unwelcome - then I recommend you skip any such threads here and move on to another discussion that interests you.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 10:14pm

Post #14 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry, you're not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the 15 non-sticky threads currently on the first page of Feedback, I've started 6. Tongue

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6 2014, 10:40pm

Post #15 of 21 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

And: no one threatened to remove your accounts, or any such thing: only the posts with download offers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 6 2014, 10:51pm

Post #16 of 21 (182 views)
Shortcut
You go, girl! Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

about any fussing.

I once worked at a wholesale watch and jewelry and various-gadget-store, and one day was tasked with opening each and every gizmo box to check for defectives. 3 out of 4 were obviously broken once you took the thing out. The dept. head got quite peeved and put me on a different task. Which means 3 out of 4 gizmos sold after that were defective. Bad reactions don't really mean nothing is wrong, or that you shouldn't do something about something you notice. Some folks are just wired to do something about it more than others--maybe being detail oriented, or very socially conscious and aware of the ramifications beyond the obvious.

It's all good. Peace!Smile

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 6 2014, 10:55pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 7 2014, 12:58am

Post #17 of 21 (172 views)
Shortcut
I think with me [In reply to] Can't Post

it's a matter of me being a helper, or a "fixer".

If I see a problem, and it's in my power to do so, I try to fix it in whatever way I can. SOMETIMES I end up trying to "fix" something that I can't, or that someone doesn't want me to, and I generally try to respect the boundaries set by said person (my friend is a bona fide hoarder who needs therapy from an extremely abusive situation growing up but she doesn't want it and she's happy so I have to let it go, for example)....but when it comes to something illegal, or someone is being picked on, etc- I will step up and try to fix it if I can.

I was always the kid picked last for teams (which was stupid, as I was generally really good at sports and such, save for basketball because I'm only five feet tall and sucked at it), I was always bullied for whatever reason the other kids could come up with (the "new kid" and glasses being the most common reason, though clothing, size, intelligence, etc were also common reasons), and once I became an adult and out of an abusive situation (both school and home) and felt more confident, I promised myself I would never stand by and say or do nothing if something was wrong.

Hence why I report things to the mods if necessary Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2014, 1:17am

Post #18 of 21 (173 views)
Shortcut
And people should know... [In reply to] Can't Post

that merely having something pointed out does not cause the Mods to act. We act when we conclude that the something merits our action. There are times when we look and decide that no action is needed, or that we'll wait and see how a situation develops. So if you're upset about someone asking us to look at something, you do not need to be. They're not making the decisions. And any member of the board may talk to us about their concerns at any time, here or via PM. So let's not make this about one person or their opinions because it's not.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 7 2014, 1:19am

Post #19 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
was that to me or lindele?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2014, 1:36am

Post #20 of 21 (163 views)
Shortcut
To whom it may concern. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just see a tendency in this thread (and a few others lately) to make this about personalities instead of about the rules. The rules of this site are clearly posted. We also have explanatory posts dotted all over. I just wanted to remind everyone that this is not about popularity or attitude or "tattling", and if they have a problem with the rules or the interpretation or enforcement of them, the Mods are the ones to talk to.

Now let's move on.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 2:00am

Post #21 of 21 (171 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to get this clarification [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the digital purple copy (or whatever it's called) as another copy of the movie that I bought so it never dawned on me that I couldn't give it to someone. I'm guessing it is different too that these are strangers passing out copies, not me giving my digital copy to my daughter who doesn't have a DVD player. I won't use the digital one and she can't watch the DVD so it seemed like the best use of the purchase.

Glad to know the nuances. Thank you Modars! See, I learn something new every day!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.