Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
!Spoiler! - Hero Times BOFA article - What the ???? this makes no sense to me...

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 10 (1590 views)
Shortcut
!Spoiler! - Hero Times BOFA article - What the ???? this makes no sense to me... Can't Post

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/...with-five-armies/#/0

Jackson insists that the blockbuster fantasy, which opens in theaters Dec. 17, is far more interested in charting the descent of proud dwarf Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) into a crippling madness than it is in conjuring images of battlefield brutality.

” the director said he expected it to be the shortest of his six Tolkien movies. “It’s very snappy, it’s got very short scenes, it whizzes along,” said Jackson...

re the BOFA narrative/pace, because to me, if you are going to focus on a character's slow slide down, it is something that builds, ratcheting the tension - Shakespeare, or even Stephen King's "the Shining"....

It's not something you do with "short snappy scenes" because for me there's no time to feel anything. Not to mention if there is a big Dol Guldur sequence and a long battle.

Thorin is my favorite character and this will hurt to watch anyway, but for all characters IMO they should be given enough time - I know there have been other posts like this but the phrase "short snappy scenes" throws me because that overly tight editing IMO was the one problem I had with the TE version of DOSFrown.

So like, I guess there could be a scene of Thorin being crazy and I would UNDERSTAND that in 5 seconds, but if things are too quick all I will think is "that's too bad, when does the fighting start?" vs. chewing my nails off.Unsure

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 10 (861 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... we do not have to fear about Thorin. I am sure they will geth his arc right - they did it until now and that is one of the things they always seemed to have been sure about, through all the changes.

I assume PJ simply wants to take away the fears of those who have complained, especially about AUJ, for being too slow.

A lot of it will probably feel very fast - the beginning with - basically - two battles/skirmishes and then the battle later.

But after all we saw so far, there should be enough time for the negotiations and the troubles at Erebor.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Timdalf
Rivendell

Nov 4 2014, 2:45pm

Post #3 of 10 (842 views)
Shortcut
Love the new PJ photo on Beorn's throne... [In reply to] Can't Post

Larger than life, he is!

The Ronald Wagner, the Richard Tolkien of our era! Surely!

Azaghâl
Lorien

Nov 4 2014, 2:49pm

Post #4 of 10 (788 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I had hoped for it to be the longest.. Hopefully the EE of BOFA will be the longest.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 2:56pm

Post #5 of 10 (749 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, that is a good point about Thorin's arc [In reply to] Can't Post

... we do not have to fear about Thorin. I am sure they will geth his arc right - they did it until now and that is one of the things they always seemed to have been sure about, through all the changes.

Thank you for the reminder - yes, I have to concede in both Bilbo's key emotive scenes (for example after retrieving the ring in Mirkwood) and Thorin's (for example entering Erebor) PJ has had the sensitivity (as with the Bag End scenes) to let those play out, and IMO they are exquisite.

Sigh. And I suppose it does, in theory, give us the hope that the EE for BOFA could be incredible, tho there is nothing quite like seeing these films on a huge IMAX screen with a great sound system.

And I would like the dwarves, each and every one, to finally have their moment, and I hope time is really made for that.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 3:04pm

Post #6 of 10 (739 views)
Shortcut
He has every right... [In reply to] Can't Post

*Grins* I remember James Nesbitt saying in an interview there was something about PJ, that he (Jimmy) was a grown man and yet you found yourself wanting to please PJ.

Hoping for some great tell-all books one day - loaded with images, of course.Cool

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 10 (702 views)
Shortcut
Hm. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Sigh. And I suppose it does, in theory, give us the hope that the EE for BOFA could be incredible, tho there is nothing quite like seeing these films on a huge IMAX screen with a great sound system.

I don't think it is the time, yet, to wait for the EE to be incredible. Right now, for all we know the TE could be incredible as well ;)

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 4 2014, 3:12pm

Post #8 of 10 (731 views)
Shortcut
TBo5A EE won't be longer than RotK EE, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it might be around the length of DoS EE Smile

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 4 2014, 3:46pm

Post #9 of 10 (623 views)
Shortcut
True also re the TE [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool and little Tweets seem to hint at a grand trailer...

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Nov 4 2014, 4:19pm

Post #10 of 10 (613 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

Every scene will actually all be very short, rather we won't have as many drawn out things like the dwarf/dragon sequence.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.