Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Calling for volunteers to lead the FOTR chapter discussions!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 4:37pm

Post #1 of 114 (1333 views)
Shortcut
Calling for volunteers to lead the FOTR chapter discussions! Can't Post

Our long, expected party kicks off in a month, and we need people to host each chapter. Please either reply to this thread or PM me.

Dec 7: A Long, Expected Party
Dec 14: The Shadow of the Past
Dec 21: Three is Company
Jan 4: A Short Cut to Mushrooms
Jan 11: A Conspiracy Unmasked
Jan 18: The Old Forest
Jan 25: In the House of Tom Bombadil
Feb 1: Fog on the Barrow-downs
Feb 8: At the Sign of The Prancing Pony
Feb 15: Strider
Feb 22: A Knife in the Dark
Mar 1: Flight to the Ford

Guidelines:
1. No previous experience needed! None of us had any our 1st time either. We're here to enjoy discussing LOTR with each other, not to bite. Lurkers are invited to de-lurk and join in.
2. English doesn't have to be your native language.
3. Post on Sunday or Monday.
4. Ask lots of questions and moderate the ensuing discussion, but don't feel responsible for everything.
5. Don't worry if someone has said something before in the Reading Room; we want to hear what you have to say in the here and now.

What to discuss: think of what your strongest reactions are while reading a chapter, and consider these categories, but don't limit yourself to them by any means.
  • Plot: how it's developed, what is foreshadowed, what is linked to another chapter
  • Legendarium: what do we learn in this chapter, what remains a mystery
  • Characters: how are they portrayed, how do they interact, how do they change, what do you think of them, what do they say that's interesting?
  • Themes: what shows up in the chapter that's important to Tolkien as a writer?
  • Tone/mood: e.g., how does the Shire make you feel vs the Old Forest?
  • Places: which are most striking to you? How does Tolkien make them come alive?
  • Do you have a favorite part of this chapter? If so, tell us why. If not, ask what other people like about it.
  • What generalizations can you make? E.g., We read about hobbit society in early chapters. Is that how every society should be? Is it the best society in the trilogy, or are others better?
Just a sampling of things to ask yourself when getting started, but there are more ways to approach a chapter than there are Orcs in Mordor, so do what fits you best. [See Best Practices link.]

Looking forward to everyone's input!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 5:55pm

Post #2 of 114 (967 views)
Shortcut
The Old Forest, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Time to make my Reading Room debut. Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 6:10pm

Post #3 of 114 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Fox. Looking forward to it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 8:40pm

Post #4 of 114 (957 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm back. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey! Isn't that at the end of some book somewhere? Oh, it's this one! Laugh

Well, I'll take the first chapter discussion week 'A Long-Expected Party', if it isn't taken already.

I'll be there with bells on. (Though you might not be able to see them....Tongue)

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 8:44pm

Post #5 of 114 (951 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I think I know why... [In reply to] Can't Post

Forests are your natural habitat, aren't they? Laugh

On a serious note, I am glad to see that you will join us on this sort of discussion...reading...thing. We definitely require people of fox-like qualities for this quest.

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 8:51pm

Post #6 of 114 (954 views)
Shortcut
"Thank goodness!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait, wrong book. Wink

I would like to do Three is Company, if possible. Perhaps I can try to follow the sound of Rem's bells from Ch. 1. Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Nov 2 2014, 8:51pm)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2014, 8:53pm

Post #7 of 114 (942 views)
Shortcut
I'll participate! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to take Feb 15, "Strider".

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:03pm

Post #8 of 114 (945 views)
Shortcut
You saw right through me! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is *exactly* why I chose that particular chapter. Sure, I would have preferred Mirkwood, my home (I am a *black* fox, after all), but seeing as we won't be visiting it in the LOTR, the Old Forest will have to do. Tongue

I've been wanting to join the Fellowship of the Room (I hope I got that right) for a while now, but the place can feel a bit intimidating to someone still relatively new to Tolkien. Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 2 2014, 9:06pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 9:19pm

Post #9 of 114 (933 views)
Shortcut
Mwhahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

You then will be the first to fall to my diabolical plan! My bells shall have the power of enchantment, able to lead their hearers into any direction I choose! The bells! The bells! Follow the bells, indeed! Evil

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:24pm

Post #10 of 114 (926 views)
Shortcut
And soon you'll all be lost in the Old Forest! [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilEvilEvil

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 9:25pm

Post #11 of 114 (930 views)
Shortcut
Me? Intimidating? Moi? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about that! No one here bites! (usually...) We rigorously screen out any participants who are likely to take a cue from Gollum, so you are mostly safe. Crazy

Really, when I started, all I had read was The Hobbit, LotR, and CoH--and only once or twice at that. Honestly, joining the Fellowship of the Room (Yes, you get a cookie for getting it right!) is the best way to immerse yourself in the works. It was amazed by how much I had missed by reading it myself! Everyone here got something different from the experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. So glad to have you!!!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 9:29pm

Post #12 of 114 (923 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I, (As the Pied...Bell Player) can lead you all through it? [In reply to] Can't Post

We could even stop in Mirkwood and invite the Silvan elves to join the parade! You know how Thranduil likes a good party!!

(That should add about a hundred Thralls to the discussion)Wink

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:29pm

Post #13 of 114 (924 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to think of the most 'Rem' direction we might go in LOTR. Will we (somehow) find ourselves discussing Finrod, Andreth and Elvish/Mannish philosophy in the middle of Ch. 1? Tongue

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:31pm

Post #14 of 114 (918 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the encouragement, Rem! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it. Smile I'll be trying to join in on the discussion as often as I can.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:33pm

Post #15 of 114 (921 views)
Shortcut
I like the sound of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

The more the merrier, eh? AngelicTongue

Kim
Valinor

Nov 2 2014, 10:29pm

Post #16 of 114 (916 views)
Shortcut
May I have The Shadow of the Past please? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 10:46pm

Post #17 of 114 (911 views)
Shortcut
"All you need is a book and an opinion," [In reply to] Can't Post

to quote Maciliel, so no need to be intimidated. Certainly some people know more Tolkien details than others, and most people know more than me since I've only dabbled in the HOME series, but I don't let that hold me back. We all know Tolkien half as well as we would like, and we love half his books half as well as they deserve. (I'm not sure about the other half, but we can revisit whether this is a compliment or not when we discuss Ch. 1. I'm never sure myself.)

As long as you know "Hobbits = good, Ring = bad," you know enough. In fact, I think that sums up LOTR in itself, so there's little point in discussing the trilogy now that I gave it all away, is there? Cool

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 10:48pm

Post #18 of 114 (918 views)
Shortcut
All yours [In reply to] Can't Post

and thank you, Rem! But is this harking back to the idea of reading the book backwards? Oh, well, I said do whatever fits you, so...

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 10:50pm

Post #19 of 114 (906 views)
Shortcut
And Eru and the Valar in Ch 2. They're all over it. Forget about hobbits. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 10:52pm

Post #20 of 114 (903 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Arithmancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Strider is yours (and right after Valentine's Day, no less).

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 10:57pm

Post #21 of 114 (912 views)
Shortcut
Well, then I should be fine [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, CuriousG. Smile

In Reply To
As long as you know "Hobbits = good, Ring = bad," you know enough. In fact, I think that sums up LOTR in itself, so there's little point in discussing the trilogy now that I gave it all away, is there? Cool

Hehe! Laugh Yeah, let's just drop it. Why complicate things? AngelicTongue

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 2 2014, 11:00pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 11:01pm

Post #22 of 114 (911 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Kim [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll be as attentive to your discussion as Sam eavesdropping on Gandalf.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 11:04pm

Post #23 of 114 (895 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Cats--all yours. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Nov 2 2014, 11:17pm

Post #24 of 114 (903 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh [In reply to] Can't Post

You do know the consequences of dropping eaves, do you not?

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

squire
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 11:46pm

Post #25 of 114 (917 views)
Shortcut
Back in another Homely House [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be glad to do "In the House of Tom Bombadil", thanks.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.