Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The "what's made you happy this week" thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 2:08am

Post #1 of 43 (471 views)
Shortcut
The "what's made you happy this week" thread! Can't Post

My sweet and silly dog as we've been taking walks in the park as the leaves swirl down around us, and the trees glow from the inside.

And the electric blue sky (unusual in this part of the country) with perfect white clouds that we had one day last week.

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 2 2014, 2:10am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 3:43am

Post #2 of 43 (323 views)
Shortcut
Crab Apple blossom [In reply to] Can't Post

I planted a crab apple tree last year in memory of my Granny, who made the best crab apple jelly in the world.
The tree is in blossom now and the bumble bees are loving it.
Every time I look at it it makes me smile, and then I think of my wonderful Granny.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 3:56am

Post #3 of 43 (320 views)
Shortcut
Halloween! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our very first day in our new apartment, my wife decorated in time for Halloween night and we gave out comicbooks (pairs of mini-comics) and wristbands to the trick-or-treaters.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 4:17am

Post #4 of 43 (324 views)
Shortcut
The color of the sky has been fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

When I crossed the bridge over Lake Nokomis last week... the whole sky was clear except for one small cloud hovering in the SE. I wondered who was under that one little cloud. And I wished I had my camera.

One small cloud can be remarkable. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 4:21am

Post #5 of 43 (313 views)
Shortcut
They have a species of crabapples here called chestnut crabs [In reply to] Can't Post

They taste so good and they are very hard to come by. You pretty much have to find and visit an apple orchard to get them and then they're only available for a short time. They're on the larger size for a crab.

I haven't had any in a few years now.

I love apple blossoms.

The flowers that makes me think of my grandmother are hollyhocks. They grew wild back by her garage.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 3:01pm

Post #6 of 43 (329 views)
Shortcut
what a sweet-looking dog! [In reply to] Can't Post

I gave my first talk about my book last night and people were very excited about it.

The "rainshadow effect" has been in force this weekend; it's raining all around us but those of us in the lee of the Olympic Mountains have had a very nice weekend. I'm looking out at a pretty sunrise right now.

Falling back. Love that extra hour on a weekend.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2014, 4:27pm

Post #7 of 43 (298 views)
Shortcut
The thing that's made me happiest [In reply to] Can't Post

is being able to stabilize my cat Timothy who has IBD (inflammatory Bowel Disease) using holistic treatments rather than the steroids and prescription food pushed by the vet. 7 whole misery-free days! Now aiming for 7 more. :-)

I need to remain vigilant in his care, but now at least I feel free to enjoy all the things that others are posting about from sweet pups to comic books. They all make me happy, too! And, oh, the sky outside is so blue right now ....

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 6:08pm

Post #8 of 43 (300 views)
Shortcut
An unexpected Tolkien reference [In reply to] Can't Post

This afternoon. It's raining outside. I'm curled up with my laptop on the living room couch. TV is playing in the background. All of a sudden, my ear catches a familiar name. I raise my head. Some cheesy German romance flick is on. The action takes place in a farm. A cute little piglet is shown running around. And guess what it's called? Frodo! Naturally, both me and my mom (another Tolkien fan in the family), also sitting nearby, cheer out loud.
It takes so little to brighten up one's day. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 7:45pm

Post #9 of 43 (300 views)
Shortcut
She is a sweetie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very privileged.Smile

Congratulations on the book! Sounds like it's gathering momentum and making a difference.SmileSmile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 2 2014, 9:07pm

Post #10 of 43 (276 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it certainly can! [In reply to] Can't Post

Although really, it's not the only cloud here. I just tend to see it that way (it certainly is the "star"!).

https://picasaweb.google.com/...JKGE?feat=directlink

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 2 2014, 9:08pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 2 2014, 9:37pm

Post #11 of 43 (269 views)
Shortcut
It's been cold, windy, rainy, overcast, and drizzly for a couple of days. [In reply to] Can't Post

A minute ago, the setting sun, peeked under the clouds and lit up a tree that is still holding onto its yellow and orange leaves. I swear, it glowed.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2014, 9:44pm

Post #12 of 43 (261 views)
Shortcut
What a dazzling photo! [In reply to] Can't Post

How could anyone not notice a cloud like that?

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 2 2014, 10:44pm

Post #13 of 43 (258 views)
Shortcut
The one I saw looked like this [In reply to] Can't Post

http://kids-myshot.nationalgeographic.com/...-by-country-princess

but the remarkable nature doesn't shine through until you can picture it from a viewpoint where I can see the sky all the way around with no obstructions (like trees) and there is not one other cloud in the sky but this little one.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 3 2014, 1:00am

Post #14 of 43 (256 views)
Shortcut
Carmel apples, Hallmark Channel and Mom :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I got to hang out with my Mom over the weekend. I stopped at a fabulous Cider Mill on the way to get some REALLY GREAT carmel apples that we love to chew on. We watched 3 Hallmark movies and had breakfast for lunch. I made crispy hashbrowns, sausage links, toast with raspberry jam and sunny-side up eggs... and it all actually turned out! Normally I set off the smoke alarm and permanently damage the frying pan. A no-drama meal is a wonderful experience :)

Date weekend with Mom (she's 93) is always the best! :D She's NUTS!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 3 2014, 2:25pm

Post #15 of 43 (235 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! TongueLaugh (Or, in this case, the nut?! ShockedLaugh)

You're very lucky to have your mom at 93 AND to have a good relationship with her. So many do not.
And congrats on the cooking. Smile

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

priell3
Lorien

Nov 3 2014, 2:37pm

Post #16 of 43 (234 views)
Shortcut
The Sunset [In reply to] Can't Post

Saturday evening, near sunset I was out driving. It was mostly cloudy. At the edge of the horizon there was a break in the clouds where the sun shone through giving things a golden glow amid the gloom.

It instantly reminded me of Frodo and Sam at the Cross-Roads.

MikeP

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 3 2014, 4:49pm

Post #17 of 43 (230 views)
Shortcut
We had that same sunset in eastern Massachusetts. [In reply to] Can't Post

The colors were spectacular. I would tell you what they were, but if I learned the names of those colors, I'd have to turn in my man card. Blush

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Nov 3 2014, 5:42pm

Post #18 of 43 (221 views)
Shortcut
I had an incredible job interview today!!!! We just clicked. Hopefully ........ [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, call me Ve.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 4:50am

Post #19 of 43 (199 views)
Shortcut
Auburn and Vermillion? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 4:51am

Post #20 of 43 (199 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, good luck! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 4:34pm

Post #21 of 43 (201 views)
Shortcut
My son made Life Scout! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night it became official. My son advanced to Life Scout. He is 6 Merit Badges and and Eagle project away from the highest honor in Boy Scouting.

I am sooooooo proud of him. He's not a "typical" Boy Scout. His leadership style is not even remotely similar to most of the other scouts - less testosterone, more thought. The younger, especially the shy, scouts love him. It took awhile to convince him, but I'm really glad he saw that his leadership is as important as someone that is more aggressive about asserting their will. He balances out the troop a bit and I think that was sorely needed. I'm glad he stuck with it. It shows that the program can work for all kinds of boys. (While I'm still waiting for BSA to make certain policy changes, I think they are moving in the right direction.)

And I get the pretty parent pin for my collection. Smile Wink

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2014, 4:55pm

Post #22 of 43 (196 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations to him! [In reply to] Can't Post

And to you, too! Smile

Does he know yet, what he'd like to do for the Eagle project? Our town has benefitted greatly from Eagle projects, such as well-laid trails in the nature preserves, restoration of historic areas, and improvements/additions to our local program which helps our less fortunate families.

Scouting brings out the best in kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 6:02pm

Post #23 of 43 (197 views)
Shortcut
He was looking at a few ideas but I think he's chosen one [In reply to] Can't Post

He will be doing his project in the winter/early spring here in Maryland so most outdoor building projects are not feasible. And he's not really interested in them. He's going to lead a food drive/awareness campaign to replenish a local food bank. He chose that over a blood donation/bone marrow screening drive because the need is so great in this area. He'll be making it sustainable by advocating for a scout leadership position within the troop (written into the By-Laws) so that the drive continues every year.

It's interesting that historically the original settlers in Maryland and Virginia had their "starving time" not in winter but early spring before the crops came in but after everything had run out and the trend is still happening today. Today, there are all kinds of food drives around the holidays and everyone feels really good about themselves donating to make up Thanksgiving or Christmas baskets, but the real struggle comes around March when all that excess runs out and no one is thinking about those charities anymore.

He was also looking at a blood drive/ bone marrow screening because he lost a friend to cancer and screening of certain populations for bone marrow donors is sorely needed. There again he was looking to educate as well as get something concrete done.

I'm looking forward to watching him craft his message. He has a fresh, easy way about his writing and he's getting more and more confident about using that same voice when speaking in public. It's like watching a teacher emerge from his shell.

Yeah, this momma is busting, so I apologize for gushing all over the thread. Blush I've done a lot of different things in my life but I have to say that watching my kids grow into adults has been one of the most satisfying, frustrating, tiring, wonderful, painful, rewarding things I have ever done.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 4 2014, 6:40pm

Post #24 of 43 (196 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Little Eruvande is struggling with completing the required merit badges for Life Scout. He has several that only need one or two more requirements to be completed, but he seems to find 100 other things to do instead. Crazy
His leadership style is similar to your son's. LE is very quiet and not at all like the previous kid who used the sheer force of his will to get things done. I think it helps the newer kids be less intimidated. He is currently Senior Patrol Leader and no one was more surprised than I was when he put himself forward to be voted on for the position. Smile

That's a nifty parent pin!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 4 2014, 11:41pm

Post #25 of 43 (186 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'm only in it for the jewelry [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Son #1 struggled to get to 1st class and didn't make it there until he was 16 so yes, I understand that few requirements here and there thing. My younger son is on the same track. It's frustrating to watch. If we can get him through his scoutmaster review, he'll move from Tenderfoot to 1st class. Fingers crossed.

Senior Patrol Leader is cool! Good for him!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.