The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"Tell her we must force his hand."

erdildeniz
Rivendell

Nov 1 2014, 2:29am

Post #1 of 18 (1508 views)
Shortcut
"Tell her we must force his hand." Can't Post

When Gandalf send Radagast to warn Galadriel, he says that. Who is "he" in here?

Merovech
Bree

Nov 1 2014, 2:37am

Post #2 of 18 (904 views)
Shortcut
Sauron. [In reply to] Can't Post

Greypilgrim
Bree

Nov 1 2014, 3:34am

Post #3 of 18 (888 views)
Shortcut
Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

I immediately thought Gandalf meant Saruman actually. Saruman after all was unconvinced of the necromancer being a legitimate threat and would not agree to an attack. so that's the way I took it- they have to force him into it.

It could be either Sauron or Saruman but I think it would be more interesting if it is meant to be Saruman. This also fits with the idea that when Gandalf says "it's undoubtedly a trap" he is getting himself trapped on purpose because it's the only way Saruman will actually believe is a real threat and help them! After all why would Gandalf the Grey willingly walk into a trap he was aware of?

I like to think it's Saruman being forced to attack but the more obvious choice is Sauron and forcing him to reveal his plan

(This post was edited by Greypilgrim on Nov 1 2014, 3:34am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 4:25am

Post #4 of 18 (837 views)
Shortcut
Tend to agree with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

although the apparent meaning would be Sauron:
Gandalf probably knows that Galadriel will get both the apparent meaning and the really intended one!... Sly both dreadful threats actually, so not much to laugh about Crazy, but Gandalf's subtlety always delights me, hence my Sly...!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

adt100
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 7:53am

Post #5 of 18 (737 views)
Shortcut
It seemed obvious to be Sauron/Necromancer to me [In reply to] Can't Post

These films aren't really meant to be subtle I don't think, it easy to read too much into such a line.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 8:26am

Post #6 of 18 (720 views)
Shortcut
I'd say the Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

In the sense of forcing him to reveal who he really is and what he's up to.

I don't think they can mean Saruman because it's too early for them to have any real suspicions of him. If Gandalf is trying to force Saruman's hand at this stage, going to ask for his help at the start of Fellowship would be idiotic.

Although, thinking about it, I suppose it could be 'force Saruman to take action'..... Crazy

(This post was edited by dormouse on Nov 1 2014, 8:28am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 9:09am

Post #7 of 18 (702 views)
Shortcut
The Necromancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf says: "A spell of concealment lies over this place, which means our enemy is not yet ready to reveal himself. He has not regained his full strength. Radagast, I need you to carry a message to the Lady Galadriel. Tell her we must force his hand." (my emphasis)

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 1 2014, 10:48am

Post #8 of 18 (675 views)
Shortcut
But why ask for Lady Galadriel.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman is the head of the White Council....

Would have Galadriel acted even without the blessing of Saruman (as far as the White Council is concerned)?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 10:51am

Post #9 of 18 (664 views)
Shortcut
That's the nice thing about lines! [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't need to have only one interpretation.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 11:22am

Post #10 of 18 (660 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf surely wants to force the White Council (including Saruman) into taking action against the Necromancer by walking into an apparant trap, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I maintain my stance that the "he" refers to Sauron here (the answer the OP was looking for). Were it to stand for Saruman, then, I'm sure, the line would go "we must force Saruman's hand", because Gandalf had just referred to the Necromancer as "he" ("He has not regained his full strength.") and having him use the same pronoun with another person in mind in the next sentence would just create unnecessary confusion.

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Nov 1 2014, 11:26am

Post #11 of 18 (639 views)
Shortcut
Because she is much closer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lothlorien isn't so far from Dol Guldur and unless Radagast can teleport himself he would have much longer way traveling to Isengard (if Saruman is there) then to Lady Galadriel and time is of the essence.

The other reason could be his previous conversation with Galadriel where she told him he can call for her if necessary arise. I doubt she would act without Saruman's blessings but with Gandalf beeing captured and Sauron's armies revealed it shouldn't be that hard to convince him to take action.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2014, 12:20pm

Post #12 of 18 (609 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I didn't take his previous words into consideration... [In reply to] Can't Post

If theyares what you say they are, then you're right indeed, this second 'he' refers also to Sauron!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 1 2014, 12:48pm

Post #13 of 18 (590 views)
Shortcut
Yes, on a purely textual level there is little doubt of whom Gandalf speaks [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can see how the reasons behind Gandalf's actions (that is (a) to force the Necromancer to reveal himself and (b) to have the White Council confront him) may cause some confusion here.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 1 2014, 2:48pm

Post #14 of 18 (545 views)
Shortcut
Context. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Saruman is the head of the White Council....

Would have Galadriel acted even without the blessing of Saruman (as far as the White Council is concerned)?

Gandalf knows that Saruman has been against taking action against Dol Guldur. That is why he wants Radagast to approach Lady Galadriel initially. She needs to apply pressure on Saruman to convince him to comply.

Knowing Gandalf's full statement gives the context to the individual line. It is Sauron's hand that needs to be forced. Without the context, he could indeed be speaking of Saruman, who must be convinced to act.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Nov 1 2014, 3:52pm

Post #15 of 18 (510 views)
Shortcut
Of course she would have [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel seems to have a healthy disregard for authority since her early days. She gave the finger to the Valar (initially), I'm sure she'd give it to Saruman if he tried to convince her not to go help Gandalf.

(This post was edited by HiddenSpring on Nov 1 2014, 3:53pm)

Greypilgrim
Bree

Nov 1 2014, 4:43pm

Post #16 of 18 (483 views)
Shortcut
I agree..... [In reply to] Can't Post

after all it was Galadriel's idea to form the white council and against her wishes that Saruman should be it's leader. She and the other elf-lords wanted Gandalf, but he declined.

(This post was edited by Greypilgrim on Nov 1 2014, 4:43pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 4:47pm

Post #17 of 18 (502 views)
Shortcut
Let's not forget [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel is the only one who has actually offered to help, so of course he would send for her. She's the one he can actually count on coming.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 2 2014, 5:33pm

Post #18 of 18 (400 views)
Shortcut
I immediatley [In reply to] Can't Post

thought Saruman - Gandalf wants he and Galadriel to force Saruman to attack Dol Guldur because they he is essential to victory. If it was just the two of them that was needed I'm sure they would have cleaned the fortress out already.

He could have meant Sauron as well though. Gandalf goes in and gets captured on purpose, the WC comes and rescues him, Sauron is forced to reveal himself during the fight or his escape.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.