Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
Anduril United Cutlery sword minor errors?

Remus
Lorien

Oct 31 2014, 8:23pm

Post #1 of 14 (5029 views)
Shortcut
Anduril United Cutlery sword minor errors? Can't Post

First, i have to say i am a Perfectionist. I love DETAILS. I absolutely love them and think without details everything would be bland/boring/dull.

I have always wanted Anduril, the sword of Aragorn (king Elessar) and i bought this piece from Ebay for about $162 dollars. Today i got it and i was unpacking it eagerly. This is my first collector item.

Now, as i said. I am a perfectionist and pay A LOT of attention to DETAIL. So i started comparing my sword with other Anduril swords out there. I noticed first the "stars" that is first on the blade is too far away from the guard on the sword.

Some pictures i took: http://imgur.com/a/wmEDS

And then i noticed there was a little "hole"/space at the guard where the blade connects to the guard. I really hope you understand what i am trying to say here. On the other side it is completely "filled" and there is no hole there.

The "Handcrafted in Taiwan" is okey i guess. You really don't see it or notice it from afar. If it starts annoying me i guess i could remove it with some kind of tool. Angelic

Anyway, here are som pictures of the "perfect" anduril: WETA official (the real deal) http://www.wetanz.com/...wordsandurilalrg.jpg Notice the "stars" are really really close to the guard.

http://users3.ml.mindenkilapja.hu/...ds/anduril-sword.bmp here you can see the same model as i have from United Cutlery and the "stars" are, like i said, really close to the guard on the sword. The first "row" is almost devoured by the guard.

Now, what do you think? Do you think i should be okey with this? I live in Sweden and they shipped this from Tenesse(?) in America. Returning it is not an option (too much work etc etc).
Or should i try to DISASSEMBLE the sword, tang, guard, pommel etc and try to fix it somehow? I doubt this works.

Anyway, am i being really ridiculous now or is this kinda a big deal?

Thanks my fellow Tolkien fans! Smile

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

(This post was edited by Remus on Oct 31 2014, 8:27pm)

Remus
Lorien

Nov 1 2014, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 14 (4487 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone? Opinions? Am I being too nick picky?

LordotRings93
Rohan

Nov 1 2014, 5:55pm

Post #3 of 14 (4735 views)
Shortcut
My input [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say, yes, you're being a little too nitpicky about the sword. Tongue Remember, these are prop replicas, not the actual sword used when filming, and each manufactured sword will have a few differences. Even the one from Weta might've had a few faults, you never know. I wouldn't try to reassembling it, you'd most likely ruin it. Just enjoy it for what it is: Aragorn's sword Anduril!! If you display it, it's not as if someone will come in and examine it head-to-toe to find minor faults. People will just marvel at the beauty of it!

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 5 2014, 12:25am

Post #4 of 14 (4495 views)
Shortcut
Fellow detail lover... [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I would gather up your images, and e-mail directly to United Cutlery customer service, and you never know

http://www.unitedcutlery.com/Info.aspx?id=14

They may offer a credit, or something. They could just tell you to work with seller, but the seller would have to do the same thing e.g. deal with UC or re-send a sword..but I would imagine UC has an interest in KEEPING folks happy.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease (sometimes).

Remus
Lorien

Nov 5 2014, 9:19am

Post #5 of 14 (4453 views)
Shortcut
I did last week [In reply to] Can't Post

I did just that. I wrote them an e-mail and i am waiting for them to answer... I guess if they want to replace my sword i will have to send this one back. It's a hell of a procedure. But but... I guess that is what is needed to be done.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 5 2014, 11:58pm

Post #6 of 14 (4431 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry but I would [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also re-send to UC.

I know that is a pain, but I thought about what I would do - I only own UC's Orcrist and live in the States, but still - if there had been a flaw like you describe and it is bothering you - honestly from the images you show, for me, while I could see some folks not minding, if you are detail-oriented to me a gap that large in the machining is not acceptable, in that it's just plain sloppy. It's not something like missing a spot of paint here or there. These may be "lower-cost" replicas but to me that's the thing, if they are mass-produced then there is even less of an excuse for not setting up your machines to cut the blades out properly/etch/emboss in the first place.

My Orcrist arrived perfect, but if there had been some missing runes or a loose hilt etc. it would have been reboxed and sent back to Amazon for an exchange.Frown IMO with collectibles the buyer has a right to be happy.Unimpressed

PS. If UC never responds for sure I would find some web sites to post that factMad. Replica companies should stand by their products.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 6 2014, 6:55am

Post #7 of 14 (4425 views)
Shortcut
this is more than minor [In reply to] Can't Post

see the curved end of the fuller, that is meant to terminate at the guard. It is like the entire blade was not inserted as far into the handle as it should have been. That is also why the sun rays are further from the guard than they should be.

Remus
Lorien

Nov 6 2014, 8:38am

Post #8 of 14 (4428 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah. It looks like the blade hasn't been completely inserted into the guard & pommel. Thats why the sun rays are so far away from the guard as you say.

Wow.... I hope they answer my e-mail soon, it's been over 7 days and no reply...... But i bought this from Sword of Legend on Ebay. But United Cutlery can still replace mine, right?

I can't disassemble this blade by myself? I saw this video on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKc2jg7jjk

But even there you can se the sun rays does NOT connect to the guard...

I am getting kinda angry right now... Thinking about this. I have a feeling they wont replace my sword...

(This post was edited by Remus on Nov 6 2014, 8:41am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 10 2014, 10:58am

Post #9 of 14 (4406 views)
Shortcut
if you collect swords [In reply to] Can't Post

including ornamental repros such as this, they do become precious, there is something special about them (especially Anduril!!!!) so getting it right is important. Each flaw is yours to consider as acceptable or not, and in my experience the blade dislocation is utterly unnaceptable but the gap to the guard is not entirely unnacceptable, although a bit more balance in gaps either side, or reduction would be preferred. Gaps to the guard and blade even occur historically and the swords are still fully functional and robust which is acheived by various means. The weta sword is $10,000+ the uc ones are a fraction of this so don't compare them too closely. Ebay tend to have good buyer protection policies, follow up with them, good luck.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Nov 10 2014, 10:59am)

Remus
Lorien

Nov 10 2014, 11:08am

Post #10 of 14 (4420 views)
Shortcut
Got in contact [In reply to] Can't Post

With the selling company on Ebay. They would come back and see if United Cutlery is willing to replace my sword.... I hope they do but i get a feeling they wont...

Remus
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 4:16pm

Post #11 of 14 (4379 views)
Shortcut
I have now [In reply to] Can't Post

sent the sword back to Nashville in Tennesse. I hope everything will go fine and they replace it with a "perfect" sword and ship that one back to me. Or i want my money back. :)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 21 2014, 6:32pm

Post #12 of 14 (4367 views)
Shortcut
good move [In reply to] Can't Post

that blade placement or lack thereof should have meant that sword never left the factory or someone had mucked around with it once purchased and couldn't put it back together properly for some reason. Don't be suprised if the gap around the blade ricasso and guard on your new sword shows some variation as this can be representative of normal parameters of sword assembly whether real swords or replicas.

Remus
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 7:50pm

Post #13 of 14 (4380 views)
Shortcut
Okey [In reply to] Can't Post

So there can still be a little gap where the blade connects with the guard? It's normal. so to speak?

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 12:39am

Post #14 of 14 (4447 views)
Shortcut
yes, either side of the blade is typical [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.