The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit for future generations

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 2:27pm

Post #1 of 23 (1060 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit for future generations Can't Post

Okay so I am a 21 year old male and I have been a fan of the Tolkien universe since I was around 7 years old. I am addicted to these films and books. I always wonder that when I eventually have children, what will I introduce to them first. I will no doubt read the Hobbit book to them first when they are an appropriate age but what of the films. I always wonder if I will show them The Hobbit trilogy before the Lord of the Rings as they will have a different experience than I did, being introduced to the LOTR films first. But I believe that the Hobbit films would be more understandable and appreciated when you have seen the LOTR trilogy first. For example in the Fellowship of the Ring (extended edition opening) you have Bilbo explaining what Hobbits are. In the opening of An Unexpetced Journey, you don't have that explanation of Hobbits.

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2014, 2:51pm

Post #2 of 23 (690 views)
Shortcut
given the crisis sometimes I doubt I will have any children [In reply to] Can't Post

but if so, and I´m able to do it I will put them hobbit movies first, then I would use fan films such as born of hope and hut for gollum and then LOTR

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 2:54pm

Post #3 of 23 (698 views)
Shortcut
I actually think The Hobbit is better to start with [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, you may not have the explanation of the Hobbits, but there's also lots of things in FotR that will make more sense once you're familiar with the story of The Hobbit.

For example:
-Sam spotting the 3 stone trolls (and old Bilbo telling the troll story to the kids)
-Gandalf talking about "the incident with the dragon"
-Bilbo reminiscing about Laketown, Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain
-Balin's Tomb
-Gandalf mentioning that the mithril shirt was a gift from Thorin

I also think the moment in RotK when Smeagol finally gets his ring back at the end has a lot more impact once you've seen his scenes in The Hobbit. The tone of both trilogies will most likely have more continuity aswell if you watch The Hobbit before LOTR.

And also, the opening shot of AUJ with Bilbo lighting the candle is IMO the best and most fitting way to start the 6 movie marathon (whereas the FotR opening with the Sauron backstory is more fitting for the start of a new chapter/trilogy).

(This post was edited by Skaan on Oct 30 2014, 2:55pm)

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 23 (663 views)
Shortcut
Your explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes perfect sense! Hobbit first it will be!

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 30 2014, 4:52pm

Post #5 of 23 (556 views)
Shortcut
make sure they read the Hobbit book first [In reply to] Can't Post

otherwise they may think the films what Tolkien wrote. Unsure

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 30 2014, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 23 (529 views)
Shortcut
hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that little scene in AUJ with Bilbo in the market does a good enough job to explain what hobbits are even without any dialogue, and Bilbo himself does a great job of that too. Of course it would be ideal to have the Concerning Hobbits stuff at the beginning of the six films instead of in the middle, but I think it still works.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 5:21pm

Post #7 of 23 (536 views)
Shortcut
I think over time [In reply to] Can't Post

these films will be quite loved and younger generations may not nit pick them to death. We shall see.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 30 2014, 5:28pm

Post #8 of 23 (517 views)
Shortcut
Even the ones who [In reply to] Can't Post

nitpick them today won't do that in the future,let alone the new generations.Wink

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 23 (509 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure the younglings won't really care how much the movies and books differ from eachother.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 6:00pm

Post #10 of 23 (490 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2014, 6:07pm

Post #11 of 23 (485 views)
Shortcut
Either that or encourage them to think about the films as adaptations [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather than an attempt at cinematic Spark Notes?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 30 2014, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 23 (481 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

Guiding the new generations to the "dangerous" paths of narrow mindness and short sight would be a terrible idea in my opinion.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 30 2014, 11:12pm

Post #13 of 23 (407 views)
Shortcut
I think young people [In reply to] Can't Post

are clever enough to know that the book is the true source of the story, and prefer it.

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 11:37pm

Post #14 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
That depends entirely on which version of the story they prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

And not on whether one version is the original version and the other is an adaptation of the original version.

Kids do not care about who wrote the story, they do not care about how much the films differ from the book and they certainly do not care about how a single book was adapted into a trilogy. They care about what entertains them more. If they prefer the book, they prefer it because it entertained them more. If they prefer the movies, they prefer them because they entertained them more.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2014, 11:40pm

Post #15 of 23 (391 views)
Shortcut
I should hope so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though "clever" is perhaps a tad generous for working out that 1937 is earlier than 2012.

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 31 2014, 12:02am

Post #16 of 23 (390 views)
Shortcut
I give kids [In reply to] Can't Post

more credit than that. I think they do care who wrote a story, they certainly care who wrote Harry Potter, and enjoy discussing the changes from the books in the films. Maybe some kids just enjoy mindless Transformer films, but any kid who enjoys The Hobbit must do so in spite of there not being exploding alien heads every 5 minutes. Kids who enjoy the Hobbit is because the hero isnt a superhero but a little furry footed fellow. Kids are not mindless zombies who just want to be entertained.

Bofur01
Lorien

Oct 31 2014, 12:05am

Post #17 of 23 (383 views)
Shortcut
According to my parents... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I guffawed when Lurtz was beheaded in FotR when I was about 3-4 years old ;) So apparently I like mindless action ;)

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 31 2014, 1:00am

Post #18 of 23 (374 views)
Shortcut
Are we both talking about kids aged 6-10? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kids are not mindless zombies who just want to be entertained.

You're right, they are not mindless zombies who want to be entertained. They're carefree, curious and playful people who want to be entertained. If they like the idea of the hero being a little furry footed fellow rather than a superhero, that is because the idea of that entertains them, not because they believe the hero being a superhero is a cliché that is plaguing most of the current fiction available. If they like discussing the changes from the book in the movies, that is because discussing these changes entertains them (and not because of the logistics behind the movie trilogy or because they have a grudge against PJ for not capturing the right tone and heart of the book).

Before this gets into too much of a heated argument, i'll come back to your original point. If they see the movies first and they like them, why should that be a bad thing? Will you step in front of their screen while holding the book saying "ignore the movies,THIS is the real story"? Will you point out all the evil mistakes and decisions Mr. Jackson has made to try and convince the kids not to like the movies anymore? Or will you simply let them like the movies while also telling them about the book, so that they could decide for themselves which version they prefer the most?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2014, 1:47am

Post #19 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

My own kids saw the LotR films first, because the Hobbit ones had not been made yet when I decided to show them. But they like The Hobbit films better. The humor and less utterly dramatic situation is I think more appealing to them.

I also don't think Hobbits require explanation, not in a visual medium. It is clear pretty early on that they are just like us, only - shorter!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Oct 31 2014, 1:49am

Post #20 of 23 (355 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

Show them just the first movie. Sly

This induced my second grader to read the book, he had to know how it all ended.

(This post was edited by arithmancer on Oct 31 2014, 1:51am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 2:54am

Post #21 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
Start with the books. [In reply to] Can't Post

When they've read the books, they'll understand the movies in the proper order (Hobbit first) without needing any background.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 8:38am

Post #22 of 23 (314 views)
Shortcut
Giving Credit [In reply to] Can't Post

You are talking about giving credit to kids but apparantly don't think they are clever enough to release early on that there are differences between movies and books, when you say that they might end up thinking that this is what Tolkien wrote.

Giving credit for me emans that they can experience such things by themselves - eventually. Sure, a parent can guide them, read the Hobbit to them, for example. Or ask them whether they spotted the differences and what they thought of them.

I would find it pretty patronizing to tell them before what is and should be seen as better (because that is highly biased and subjective).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 9:51am

Post #23 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
Really??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think due to shorter attention spans/social media/celebrity culture and other such delights, far fewer young people would take up the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books and read them than used to be the case. I know young people – 'well-educated' ones at that – who don't read even simple books. Perhaps this is because they can't focus on them for long enough, or because they aren't used to any form of writing that may be considered old fashioned by some these days (LotR).

In Reply To
I think young people are clever enough to know that the book is the true source of the story, and prefer it.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 31 2014, 9:58am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.