The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Middle Earth marathon

Danielos
Rohan

Oct 30 2014, 1:22pm

Post #1 of 14 (780 views)
Shortcut
Middle Earth marathon Can't Post

Will you do a ME Marathon when the last extended edition is released? It would be cool watching the six movies back to back in a weekend on a good home Theatre HD system om Blu-ray. Still 20 hours might be a little exhausting. And in what order to watch them? Even if Hobbit is a prequel, there is much that makes Little sense if you havenīt first watched LOTR.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 1:41pm

Post #2 of 14 (500 views)
Shortcut
Six day Marathon for me [In reply to] Can't Post

A film a day on my 50 inch 3D TV in 5.1 surround. Can't wait, I'll probably do it in time for BoFA theatrical release. Start with AUJ and end on RotK Heart

Last Summer I had a Marvel marathon in two days, it was pretty exhausting but good fun haha.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 30 2014, 2:40pm

Post #3 of 14 (444 views)
Shortcut
Im sure I can stand 20 hours in a row [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 3:06pm

Post #4 of 14 (434 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Because for me the two trilogies should be kept separate – they are too different in style, both visually and as far as the plot is concerned. LotR is also at a least a little to do with Tolkien's vision, whereas DoS has only a tenuous link with Tolkien as far as I'm concerned. That's why I would have preferred Legolas to have been a cameo in DoS (or nothing), and no new characters added for 'feminine energy', etc.

In Reply To
Will you do a ME Marathon when the last extended edition is released? It would be cool watching the six movies back to back in a weekend on a good home Theatre HD system om Blu-ray. Still 20 hours might be a little exhausting. And in what order to watch them? Even if Hobbit is a prequel, there is much that makes Little sense if you havenīt first watched LOTR.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 14 (367 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I look forward to spending part of my Christmas vacation in the future watching all six EE films over 2-3 days most likely. For me these films will fit perfectly together creating one fantastic ride and do a solid job of capturing Tolkien's vision that I feel when I read the books.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 30 2014, 6:18pm

Post #6 of 14 (344 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Feels like the SW fanbase all over again :/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Not saying you can't have an opinion of course, but this was one of the problems I had with the Star Wars fanbase, how divided it is, how some totally just disregard the PT even though it is part of the overall universe. All six films are connected that PJ has made, and it just feels like a shame how divided the Tolkien fanbase will be. Like, if I say I love TH and LOTR trilogies, people will say how idiotic I am for liking the "mediocre Hobbit trilogy, when these films do flow consecutively. Doesn't feel right to also cut out half the story of the Middle-earth saga.

Again, not trying to say you can't not like these films, but maybe wait for BOTFA, and maybe watching all three films together will be a better experience.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

smtfhw
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 6:29pm

Post #7 of 14 (330 views)
Shortcut
We Certainly Will [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the local hotels has a screening room and a bunch of us are considering going there for a weekend...

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 30 2014, 7:24pm

Post #8 of 14 (312 views)
Shortcut
None of my friends are that into the movies, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I will happily do this marathon by myself. My home theater setup is meager at best, but I have no plans to upgrade until the Ultimate Extended Middle-earth Saga Box Set is released with all of the restored footage.

In another thread, someone recommended watching Born of Hope in between. I know I most certainly will.

Drakblod
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 8:01pm

Post #9 of 14 (296 views)
Shortcut
An opinion is an opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

And just like a big part of the SW fanbase disregard the PT, those that want to can disregard The Hobbit. Personally I feel like I don't miss out on much if I just watch LOTR, I'm fine with Ian Holm finding the ring in Gollums lair..

Maybe I'll change my mind after I watch BoFa, but I've watched the extended editions of AUJ and DoS, and unlike the extended LOTR movies (which I could start watching anytime again and again) I do not feel like watching them again at all.

like butter scraped over too much bread.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 31 2014, 1:02am

Post #10 of 14 (246 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Happily for me I guess, always feel much closer to the Hobbit movies than I do with LOTR - the stellar performances and impeccable casting having much to do with that. Also I like the varied and rich landscapes of the Hobbit which just strike me more than LOTR, and the appearance of fey, mystical beings like Thranduil and Beorn, the group of dwarves, Smaug, the fiery Thorin, and Martin Freeman's Bilbo.

There always was a huge distance between the Hobbit book and LOTR for me and don't feel a connection between the films no matter how much PJ wants to emphasize that - if anything for me it gets annoying and seems to undermine the stellar works that the Hobbit movies are.

Also, I think 3 films at any given time are my limit, even if you stretch 6 over a weekend.....Unsure

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 31 2014, 2:36am

Post #11 of 14 (230 views)
Shortcut
Too exhausting... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I tried to watch all four discs in one night when I first bought the Extended Edition of FotR and couldn't quite make it (I was only able to watch three). Since I was pretty dead on my feet the next day, I did not do this again. Now, I just watch the movie one night, and spread the rest of the two (or three) discs over the next couple of days. Even though I've seen them before, I always like to watch the discs that includes the behind-the-scenes stuff (I enjoy them as much as the movie or TV series, and I'm always curious on how they did certain things). Even though I'm more into the Hobbit right now (for obvious reasons), I'm unsure if I like it better (or less) than the LotR movies (I'd have to watch them all to figure that one out), I think I enjoy them about the same.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 2:51am

Post #12 of 14 (226 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, quite possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the LOTR movies over 3 consecutive nights last year, as well as multiple viewings of AUJ, so I'm sure I could fit in all 6 if spaced out enough. The key is hydration. Wink

As for order, I'm thinking TH then LOTR. And then probably AUJ again. Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Hedrigall

Oct 31 2014, 3:17am

Post #13 of 14 (229 views)
Shortcut
The 6 movies would only be the start! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll definitely be doing marathons in the future, maybe every year over the Christmas/New Year period (which I almost always get off!) - I've been doing this most years for the LOTR trilogy so now it'll be fun to incorporate the Hobbit movies too.

So starting on Dec 25 with AUJ, and going through until the 30th for ROTK.

Then in January I will do what I do every 2-3 years, and marathon the extended edition features. That's something insane like 50 more hours, so it'll take quite a while and I won't do it every year. :P

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 31 2014, 1:36pm

Post #14 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
I've done an LoTR marathon [In reply to] Can't Post

took about 12 hours to watch those three, the EE's of course. Had to stop for food & potty breaks, y'know. I plan to watch AUJ and DOS back to back once I get my grubby hands on the EE next Tuesday. A six-movie marathon wouldn't be out of the question, if I just take a few days off from work & my hubby's not home to complain about itTongue

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.