The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The "creepy Bilbo" DoS poster

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 29 2014, 7:55pm

Post #1 of 15 (1913 views)
Shortcut
The "creepy Bilbo" DoS poster Can't Post

I'm sure everyone remembers this rather creepy Bilbo image: http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/...q8vn7j21fs23h1kp.jpg
It's a cool poster, but something is up with Bilbo's face, it looks waxy and his eyes look dead.

The poster is made by a great commercial photographer called Nels Israelson, and I was just checking out his website and came across this poster in his portfolio. I noticed that Bilbo didn't have the creepy face?!

Here: http://www.nelslens.com/...olio/Advertising/11/

So I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas or theories as to what happened to this image? It's a really nice poster without the weird face. Crazy

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 29 2014, 8:06pm

Post #2 of 15 (1299 views)
Shortcut
OMG! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you very much!!!

The original image is just great! How come did they allow this monster of a 'shoped Bilbo to see the light of day? Mad

Original image:

http://www.nelslens.com/...folio/advertising/10

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Oct 29 2014, 8:06pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 29 2014, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 15 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Just noticed links don't really work, but it's the 10/11th image // [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 29 2014, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 15 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Poor Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

He is clearly suffering from a bad case of Photoshopilitis. LaughUnsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 29 2014, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 15 (1087 views)
Shortcut
OMG I love this phographer [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you found the original - what a mess. Only thing I can think of, as Black Fox suggests, is that the original was a lovely high res, and for whatever reason someone tinkered with it and/or changed the resolution for mass printing and distribution (lower res = cheaper) and they made Bilbo look deranged - what a shame MadUnsureFrown

Sure Mr. Israelson just shakes his head sometimes.....

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 29 2014, 11:56pm

Post #6 of 15 (985 views)
Shortcut
its ironic [In reply to] Can't Post

thats what it is. Unsure

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 12:08am

Post #7 of 15 (991 views)
Shortcut
And the most astonishing thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the artist didn't alter one bit from his facial expression, nor his hair!

It's the same image with the same face BUT with a horrible artificial lighting technique applied to it!

He darkened his eyes and brightened his cheeck, darkened the other side and heightened the Contrast to a level not nice!

And the worst part of all that, is that now I dread even the original/unaltered image.

I wonder if there's someone here skilled enough/willing to improve the altered image, just for fun.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Oct 30 2014, 12:46am

Post #8 of 15 (944 views)
Shortcut
That's a great find... [In reply to] Can't Post

and you should submit it to "photoshop disasters":
http://www.psdisasters.com/

* crunch *

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 30 2014, 1:18am

Post #9 of 15 (931 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, interesting pick up! [In reply to] Can't Post

To me it looks like a one click photoshop effect, such as trace or something. Bad call on their part! Is the creepy version an official release?

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 30 2014, 2:10am

Post #10 of 15 (901 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately it is/was! [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman (if he saw it), must have been shocked to see what they did wish him! Lol

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 30 2014, 5:22am

Post #11 of 15 (863 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just bizarro. As far as I know it's the only poster that has that effect on it. WB may need to sharpen up the QC in their marketing department.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 6:06am

Post #12 of 15 (853 views)
Shortcut
Very cool photographer! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing his work.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XXI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 30 2014, 12:00pm

Post #13 of 15 (794 views)
Shortcut
Nels also did the 3D posters for AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

He's really good. I must see if I can't save this poster... Thanks for sharing :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 30 2014, 2:52pm

Post #14 of 15 (750 views)
Shortcut
*Wish I could own the 3-D posters* [In reply to] Can't Post

Truly love Nel's workHeartHeartHeart - POTC, Ironman, and for me the AUJ series was magnificent and perfection for Middle EarthHeartHeartHeart. IMO his Gandalf and Thorin images are the best images of a movie character I have ever seen done and love his images of the Company and the way he captured the essence of the characters - incredible talent. Wish I had the space to put all of them upHeartHeartHeart.

It's not photography, it's ART.Heart

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 30 2014, 2:53pm

Post #15 of 15 (768 views)
Shortcut
Strange, but somehow in the re-touched one [In reply to] Can't Post

he reminds me of Elijah Wood. I don't know how but, something about the retouching of the eyes and face now reminds me of Frodo.

What a botched re-touching. One of his eyes looks like a plain black orb.

Thanks for sharing the unaltered one, I agree, the original is quite nice! As well as the rest of the photographer's work. Thanks :).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.