Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Cumberbatch is Strange? New rumor about our favorite dragon!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 27 2014, 10:37pm

Post #1 of 6 (530 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch is Strange? New rumor about our favorite dragon! Can't Post

Benedict CumberbatchThe internet was broken today when Mike Fleming announced on Deadline that Marvel had named Benedict Cumberbatch their top choice to play Doctor Strange in a feature slated for 2016, and that they were beginning negotiations. This is still an unconfirmed rumor, and the Strange casting rumors have been brewing for quite some time. Joaquin Phoenix was a confirmed choice up until the beginning of this month, but then they were back to the drawing board.

Over the past months, everyone from Hugh Laurie to Tom Hardy, Keanu Reeves, Johnny Depp, and Daniel Radcliffe have been mentioned in connection with the project. Keen Ringers have tapped Cumberbatch for the role since at least July. It looks like this might be an accurate prophesy. Marvel has been cagey, neither confirming nor denying the report, with Executive Editorial Director Ryan Penagos tweeting about #seeeekrits all afternoon.

We may not have long to wait for confirmation of this particular rumor. Marvel is holding a special press event in Los Angeles tomorrow (which you can follow on their live blog) to make some undisclosed #seeeekrit announcements. TheOneRing.net will be on hand at the event to get the scoop!

Dr_Strange_by_Steve_DitkoSo far Middle-earth fans have embraced Benedict Cumberbatch as a villain supreme "The Hobbit" films, in his roles as both Smaug and the Necromancer (aka Sauron). He's twisted our minds as a cunning genius in the wildly popular BBC "Sherlock" series, and he rolled villainy and genius into one as Khan in "Star Trek Return of the Lens Flare Into Darkness". Now it looks like he may have the chance to conquer comics as he has science fiction and fantasy.

The "Sorceror Supreme" of the Marvel universe, Doctor Strange is described as "brilliant, but arrogant," which certainly seems to be a trend in all the characters mentioned above! And who better than the Necromancer to serve as what Marvel President Kevin Feige describes as the "doorway into Marvel's supernatural side"?

Tell us in the comments what you think about Benedict Cumberbatch taking on the role of the mightiest magician in the cosmos. Who would win in a fight? The Necromancer or Doctor Strange?

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 28 2014, 10:16am)

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Oct 28 2014, 4:20am

Post #2 of 6 (302 views)
Shortcut
This is so exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughFantastic news! The entire month of October has felt like a huge midterms week for me (half my semester assignments were due this month, my schedule has been packed! It's good to be back on TORn again now that I have just one paper and some thesis research left for the semester). This news is just so wonderful and comes at a time when I needed it! I just love watching Benedict act, and it would be so awesome if he joined the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Then two of my favorite actors would be in Marvel movies (Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch)! I'm not much of a comic book person, but I do love the Thor movies and the Avengers. I Wikipedia-ed Doctor Strange when I heard the rumors, and as a graduate psychology student, I just love the fact that this character was a neurosurgeon at one point. Cool I find the entire Marvel franchise fascinating, as there are so many possible stories to tell with all the different characters, even as we inevitably build up to Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. I'm really excited for Avengers 3 already. Really hope the rumor is true - I will be eagerly awaiting the announcement from Marvel! Now I have two Marvel movies that I am especially looking forward to - Thor 3 (more Loki!) and Doctor Strange (hopefully Benedict!) Imagine watching a Marvel movie in the next year or two and then in the end credits scenes... Benedict! Smile And the idea of Tom and Benedict potentially acting in a scene together again, depending on how the storyline goes... Laugh (If you want to see them acting together in another movie, War Horse is absolutely amazing, even though their parts are relatively small...)
Benedict is so talented, and I've already seen some lovely fan art of the actor as Strange. With proper costuming and effects and a solid script, I think this could really be something special. From what I've seen, many fans have already embraced the idea of Benedict as Doctor Strange, and I know without a doubt that he would give absolutely 100% in this role, just as he gave 100% to portraying Smaug, Khan, Sherlock, and so many other characters whom I have come to love.
Benedict has my vote for Doctor Strange, and if Marvel announces the news I want to hear, then I will definitely be in line for a ticket in the theatre in a few years. I'm so excited!

(This post was edited by Holly Hobbit on Oct 28 2014, 4:22am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 28 2014, 2:15pm

Post #3 of 6 (235 views)
Shortcut
I can see this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if Cumberbatch would play Strange as American (as originally conceived and written) or British?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Nov 1 2014, 6:46am

Post #4 of 6 (194 views)
Shortcut
Benedict can do an American accent. [In reply to] Can't Post

He spoke with one in August: Osage County. I personally didn't see the movie myself, but I know he had an American accent in it. Of course, American accents can vary among themselves based on where you live. (I'm from the Midwest, and during a high school trip to Washington DC I spoke with students from other states and felt like my voice stuck out like a sore thumb during those conversations!)
It would be very interesting to see what accent Benedict would have as Doctor Strange. I think his residence (Sanctorus Sanctorum? Not familiar with the comics - will probably be educating myself over the next few years if he's cast though) is in NYC, though. So maybe New York accent of some sort?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 1 2014, 2:13pm

Post #5 of 6 (201 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch/Doctor Strange [In reply to] Can't Post

Most American superheroes of the 1960s and earlier were based in or near New York City (or its comic-book equuivalent), largely because that was also the center of the comic-book industry at that time. Both DC Comics and Marvel were based there.

I was unaware of the early background of the character Dr. Stephen Strange and I've only just looked it up. Stephen was born in Philadelphia, Pennsyvania and raised in Nebraska. His pre-med training was in NYC. From Stephen's manner of speech, I would think that he has probably lost most of whatever regional dialect that he would have possessed from his early years.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Nov 3 2014, 5:51pm

Post #6 of 6 (188 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch is an amazing actor! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, call me Ve.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.