Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Poll: your feeling towards approaching BOTFA?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:29pm

Post #1 of 31 (832 views)
Shortcut
Poll: your feeling towards approaching BOTFA? Can't Post

What is your feeling about the fact that BOTFA is approaching?

[ ] I can't wait to see it! Gimme the trailer, gimme TV spots, gimme the film!
[ ] Once BOTFA hits theatres, it is actually over. No more films about Middle-Earth. I'd rather hold off this moment as long as I can.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 12:39pm

Post #2 of 31 (487 views)
Shortcut
I fall somewhere in the middle [In reply to] Can't Post

Lot of mixed feelings. And I've been on this journey for a far shorter time than most of the people here; I can only imagine what those who've been watching this story unfold for years might be feeling.

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 12:40pm

Post #3 of 31 (465 views)
Shortcut
[over] [In reply to] Can't Post

definitely the second.
Although I'm sure in a few years (10+) there will be some kind of ME spin-off regarding the Appendices. TV-Show or movie – I don't know.

But the anticipation for the next Hobbit-Movie is great.
After the Cine-Release there will only come the EE. Than it's over.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 12:44pm

Post #4 of 31 (473 views)
Shortcut
Missing category on your 'list' [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually much less enthusiastic about the forthcoming film than I was before seeing DoS on the basis of AUJ (which I loved). I am, in fact, rather indifferent towards it, due to my severe disappointment in DoS. I hope to enjoy it, but given what happened with DoS, my hopes are not high.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 12:47pm

Post #5 of 31 (448 views)
Shortcut
Can't choice from thse two. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am really, really excited but - right now - I enjoy the anticipation and do not want this to be over too quickly... so I am totally fine with the wait for both trailer and movie.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Noria
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:56pm

Post #6 of 31 (436 views)
Shortcut
Somewhere in the middle [In reply to] Can't Post

I am looking forward to the trailer, the other stuff and the movie itself but they will come when they come. The movie will arrive soon enough and then then there will only be the EE to look forward to. Right now, I'm enjoying the anticipation.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Oct 27 2014, 1:08pm

Post #7 of 31 (447 views)
Shortcut
To be honest.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't care less... I don't think this train wreck can be fixed.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 1:18pm

Post #8 of 31 (424 views)
Shortcut
meh [In reply to] Can't Post

#2.

FrownUnimpressed

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 27 2014, 1:28pm

Post #9 of 31 (398 views)
Shortcut
Both at once [In reply to] Can't Post

Really looking forward to it, but sad that it's the last movie.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Bofur01
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 1:32pm

Post #10 of 31 (394 views)
Shortcut
Cannot wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

So much pessimism around here :p

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 1:36pm

Post #11 of 31 (389 views)
Shortcut
This! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 27 2014, 2:15pm

Post #12 of 31 (369 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to it - [In reply to] Can't Post

- but it's really the EEs I'm waiting for.

I hope it's not the end of movie Middle-Earth, though, and hopefully there's something else being planned.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 2:48pm

Post #13 of 31 (348 views)
Shortcut
It's mixed for me, but I guess more of… [In reply to] Can't Post

[ ] I can't wait to see it! Gimme the trailer, gimme TV spots, gimme the film!
[X] Once BOTFA hits theatres, it is actually over. No more films about Middle-Earth. I'd rather hold off this moment as long as I can.

I sincerely hope we'll get that Ultra Extended Middle-earth Box Set in a few years. I will upgrade my meager "home theater" to blu-ray for that. As far as promos go, I cannot not watch a promo video or trailer if it is released, but then I always feel less satisfied by the final product because I already know a little of what is coming. So I would prefer to maybe get one more trailer and leave it at that. Actually, the trailer would be a good thing for drawing in new viewers.

I don't expect anything else from Middle-earth for a while. I mean it's too big of a cash cow to not eventually get something, but the next film I would personally like to see is The Children of Húrin—featuring Orcs that look similar to Azog and giving Túrin a knife that looks suspiciously similar to Sting. Tongue

I'd love it if all three major stories from The Silmarillion receive films, but unless Christopher Tolkien has two more embellished novels awaiting publication, I think movies for Tinúviel and The Fall of Gondolin would be very hard to adapt. There is simply not enough detail in the published materials, IMHO.

If the entire Silmarillion were ever adapted, I would prefer it to be done in a cartoon style similar to Star Wars: Clone Wars, but more realistic-looking. The style used in that show allowed for little dialog, which could make it easier to show things like the crossing of the Helcaraxë and the migrations of the Edain. It would also allow the writers to get creative with the movements without needing to invent a lot of dialog. They would have more freedom to simply show what happens instead of having characters talk about it. Live-action films require dialog because real people talk to each other, and a live-action silent film would not compel an audience large enough to justify the cost of filming such an epic novel. But with an animated show, it would cost a lot less and give them more freedom to follow the book as it's written.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2014, 3:04pm

Post #14 of 31 (349 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you, BlackFox [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only been a Tolkien fan and a member of TORn for a little over a year now. While I'm excited for BotFA, I also want to savor what little time there is left before it's "over". Sometimes I wish I would have become a fan sooner so I could have enjoyed it longer, but at the same time I know why I didn't. (I was a sensitive kid. The violence and the creepy critters would have bothered me when I was younger.Unsure)

I don't really think this will be the last ME stuff we get to see on-screen EVER, but it'll probably be a good while before anyone decides to do a LOTR remake or the rights to the Silm get released, if they ever get released. But who knows? Maybe someone will decide to do a tv show or a movie on the stuff still left in the appendices that hasn't been fleshed out yet. Or even a tv show on LOTR itself, and they'll have time to include stuff that got left out in the movies. By now there's been several generations of young, aspiring directors who have had time to grow up on LOTR who might just have gumption to take on a challenge like that, and if they do, I'll be the first one telling them to GO FOR IT!Smile

All of that said, I'd much rather look on the bright side of things and look forward to BotFA and the BotFA EE and all the movie tie-in material that's still coming than be sad that after December it'll all be "over."

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 3:28pm

Post #15 of 31 (328 views)
Shortcut
Savouring every moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been a Tolkien fan for 13 years now, and even if I did not particularly expect a Hobbit film, I periodically rewatched the films during the hiatus years between the two projects.
I am enjoying these moments just because they will be the last moments of waiting and I love the possibility of expressing and sharing opinions and feelings...
I want to stay positive, no mixed feelings.
I am more worried about the actual viewing of BOFA for the first time with all its tragedy.
CrazyFrown

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 27 2014, 3:32pm

Post #16 of 31 (321 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

my feelings entirely. Frown

architecthis
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 3:36pm

Post #17 of 31 (352 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit will be re-booted [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats my feeling. Get this last film out of the way so we can move on to a new director with a new vision.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Oct 27 2014, 4:01pm

Post #18 of 31 (295 views)
Shortcut
Eagerly anticipating 12/17 [In reply to] Can't Post

Put me in the camp of eager anticipators. I'm looking forward to the trailer, checking the news here regularly, and could not resist the electronic version of the EE (though I think I will still buy the BluRay. Or maybe someone will get it for me for Christmas...)

While it will be sad that there are no more Middle Earth movies to look forward to in the immediate future, I would not want to delay seeing the last one at all! I will just have to make do with other films...

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 27 2014, 4:02pm

Post #19 of 31 (292 views)
Shortcut
Sort of both [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait for it but at the same time I don't want it all to come to an end. I think that will hit me harder once the movie has actually been released though. Right now I just really want to see a full length trailer and can't wait to see the movie.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 4:12pm

Post #20 of 31 (288 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm longing to see the film and am making the most of every moment, every new step in the build-up to the film's release. And at the same time I don't want it ever to come, because I don't want this time to end.

It's been an amazing ride. I've known and loved the books since the 1960s and for most of that time Tolkien was treated as an adolescent fad - you were supposed to grow out of it, or at least, that's what the critical world seemed to think. Thankfully my brother loved the books, he got me started, but there weren't many people I knew who did. I first discovered that there were going to be Lord of the Rings films a few months before Fellowship came out and my first reaction was - well, underwhelmed. But I loved them. I'll always be a book person first, but I think the films have played a worthwhile part in levering Middle Earth out of the critical wilderness and making Tolkien's books something more people talk about and share - and I've enjoyed every minute of it!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 8:38pm

Post #21 of 31 (230 views)
Shortcut
"All of them at once, I suppose" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lot of mixed feelings.

That sums it up for me too Unsure.

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Oct 27 2014, 8:38pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 27 2014, 10:20pm

Post #22 of 31 (193 views)
Shortcut
Mixed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to balance the desire to see the finished product with some preservation of the feeling that we're still here, waiting for more films to come out. It's a tough balance to find, and with every poster/trailer release I feel the end coming closer and closer to our doorstep.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

FernysApple
Bree

Oct 27 2014, 11:17pm

Post #23 of 31 (182 views)
Shortcut
I am feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

its going to be a bit embarrassing come Oscar night.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 27 2014, 11:40pm

Post #24 of 31 (174 views)
Shortcut
Not sure yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

Will have to digest DoS EE in full...only doing that in bits and pieces these last few days.

Outside of Tauriel, I quite enjoyed DoS, so I expect the same to be true for BoT5A.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 28 2014, 2:16am

Post #25 of 31 (158 views)
Shortcut
[can' wait] for the theatrical version. [over] for the EE next year. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.