First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

VValar
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:04am

Post #176 of 209 (5632 views)
Shortcut
     Great post about the Fisher King [In reply to]  

I didn't know the story, thanks for posting it Heart
This is one of those childhood stories that stay with you forever.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 12:08am

Post #177 of 209 (5632 views)
Shortcut
     I hope this isn't just pulled from 'behind the scenes' [In reply to]  

He's extra gorgeous in it, and he's not wearing one of The Usual Expressions. It looks like someone caught him off guard (in a good way) or surprised him.

Excellent find!

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

VValar
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:11am

Post #178 of 209 (5642 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah like he's worried or something... [In reply to]  

..... maybe over Legolas?

VValar
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:16am

Post #179 of 209 (5657 views)
Shortcut
     Grumpy Elrond on twitter strikes again [In reply to]  

How to Clear a Room of Dwarves: Toss a gold coin down a flight of stairs.
Sly

Or we could just ask Thranduil how to get rid of a prison full of Dwarves Angelic

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 12:22am

Post #180 of 209 (5631 views)
Shortcut
     I'd never thought about it before, but I'm pretty sure you're right... [In reply to]  

Which means there has to be a reason for it. A matter of taste? Some sort of taboo? A religious thing? Hmmmmnnn...

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2014, 12:22am

Post #181 of 209 (5629 views)
Shortcut
     Getting there [In reply to]  

I'm not online much during the weekends so the catch up will be a little slow until Monday morning, but I'm getting there.Smile

Re the test: It went very well! I only missed 4 questions out of 23 and I feel like I'm understanding the concepts. I only wish it didn't have to take so long to follow all the required steps for certain kinds of equations.Crazy

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2014, 12:39am

Post #182 of 209 (5647 views)
Shortcut
     I Dream of Thranduil* [In reply to]  

Just thought I'd tell y'all, I had a nice dream about Thrandy last night!Heart I was actually having a nightmare before that, but when I woke up, I happened to glance up at the Mirwood elves poster on my wall and when I fell back asleep I started dreaming about the first meeting between Bard and Thranduil in BotFA. Quite a welcome change of dreams, I must say!Evil

Basically, I dreamed my theory that, like in the teaser trailer, when all the elves walk up to Bard in Dale and suddenly turn to the side and make a pathway, that Thranduil fabulously strides up the pathway and he and Bard start talking about their game plan for dealing with Thorin. Sadly, I don't remember the dialog, but Thranduil was wearing his lovely red robe over the black tunic and looked awesome as usual.Cool

I really, really, really hope I keep having Hobbit dreams consistently until BotFA comes because that was pretty fun!

*For those who may not be familiar with it, my subject line is a lame reference to the old American TV show, I Dream of JeannieWink

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

stn5
The Shire

Oct 27 2014, 1:39am

Post #183 of 209 (5664 views)
Shortcut
     Spoiler: white jewel [In reply to]  

thranduil wife is the owner of the white jewel:

https://38.media.tumblr.com/...euv1s0lf1do1_400.jpg

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 27 2014, 2:45am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 2:35am

Post #184 of 209 (5608 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you very much! Sadly though, [In reply to]  

the things I like to do aren't stuff that put food on the table. I like doing up documentation, writing processes, but yeah, it's not my mainstay.Unsure

In Reply To
Too bad it's such a hassle to get it done right. I know it's for a reason but with the workability of this forum being far from user friendly as it is, it just adds up to even more work for a small (well, not so small when it's concerning our Elven Pretty!) result. Oh well better stop complaining cause it's for a good cause. PS am I still the only user who's got textbox problems (font doesn't change back from italic/bold use when I want it to)?

I know your pain, believe me. And I am still learning and having to remind myself too. Frankly, sometimes I wonder why I sit at the comp doing it at all. Trawling already takes time, and I could just very well save the Pretty! and be done. But no, I got to come on here and post them too. Worse, I am also spending time just doing up the images to fit the rules when posting. I rather suspect I have a serious self-affliction issue hereEvil But yes, Pretty! makes me happy, and I guess I like to share? And to see get Pretty! fellow Thralls unearth? uh... please don't let the men in white take meShockedCrazyTongue

And sorry to hear you've still got that issue, but no, I don't have that issue.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 2:45am

Post #185 of 209 (5588 views)
Shortcut
     You're right! [In reply to]  

Nice observation there!

In Reply To
Come to think of it, it seems like portraits aren't an elf thing in general, at least in PJ's movie-verse. In the movies I've noticed that although the elves (at least I assume it's the elves) do paint things like the Last Alliance painting near the shards of Narsil in Rivendell, as far as we know, they don't paint portraits of themselves. They make sculptures of generic elves and stuff like that, but it never seems to be anyone specific, IIRC.

Though... what about the little Gilraen sculpture on her tomb? Was that a generic one too? If it is really her, then there probably is a distinction between sculpting actual Elves vs other races... or am I thinking the wrong thought here?

In Reply To
I agree, it has a nice portrait feel to it. Smile The only way I think it would be better would be if Thranduil was just wearing the black tunic without the armor. It just seems a little odd that he'd sit there in his armor for hours while someone painted his portrait.Tongue

heheh... I guess with the awesomeness of their ability to get good at anything, the artist can do a sort of mental PS of Thranduil in armour regardless of what he's actually wearing or not? ... sounds wrong there but you know what I meanTongue

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:03am

Post #186 of 209 (5599 views)
Shortcut
     LoL.... poor Faramir [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I wonder if Denetor has his own portrait as well? He seems like the type to have one, and made one of Boromir as well. Poor Faramir probably got a very small one, pocket size, to hang in the private bathroom Tongue

Just snerkles at this but... OT: I really do want to shake someone up for villianising movie!Denethor to that degreeFrownFrown And I remember someone remarking that Thranduil is the Denethor of TH before the movies started their run, and my heart sank. So far, to some degree, it seems so but I am glad Thranduil did not/have not suffered the sort of closeup humiliating caricature of bad eating form Denethor did. Though of course, Thranduil could make bone-marrow
gnawing and soup-slurping look classy HeartAngelic He could probably make burping a tasteful melody if he was minded to burp too, but let's be honest, he wouldn't even think to stoop to that disagreeable level anyway. Leave that to the Dwarves, they need to have something they think they're good atLaugh Thranduil is graciousHeartCool

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 27 2014, 3:04am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:05am

Post #187 of 209 (5581 views)
Shortcut
     Oooh, what are you thinking, vanima? [In reply to]  

What does the canon-head say? Do share!Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:07am

Post #188 of 209 (5600 views)
Shortcut
     Don't know, really [In reply to]  

after all the trust issues PJ's cultured...

In Reply To
But I hope to see him smile to Legolas as well, a caring and loving smile when he sees his son has made it out of the fight alive and unharmed Heart Yeah I'm still craving for a little more father/son time.

Well, if we don't get it, I guess we can go back to the fan art father and son moments .. though they're mostly of baby Leggy, and doesn't have the awesome of movie!Thranduil.Evil

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:09am

Post #189 of 209 (5606 views)
Shortcut
     Heheh... there's a long line of volunteers [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Actually, I'm sure the director gave his opinion just off camera. Wink

What do you reckon PJ's comeback could be?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:10am

Post #190 of 209 (5603 views)
Shortcut
     Elves don't have rails, Elves don't need rails [In reply to]  

Nope, they're good as it is surelySmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:16am

Post #191 of 209 (5617 views)
Shortcut
     I find it fascinating [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I bet LP is already in his role as Thranduil, aloof and Kingly. 'Yeah I don't need to look at you while you talk to me. I will just stare ahead and pretend I'm not listening while you're all serious and everything.' Thranduil really is that cool Cool

that LP can be so different in and out of character.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:20am

Post #192 of 209 (5584 views)
Shortcut
     Where the Elves are [In reply to]  

would be the most dangerous, if the positions on PJ's plans are literally oriented with Erebor in mind, and if the goblin hordes are indeed swarming in from the Misties and the Grey ranges, as in the book, which is west of Erebor. That would put the Elves right in the path of the onslaught.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:21am

Post #193 of 209 (5625 views)
Shortcut
     Hee, yay, Tedoras. And slight OT, but pleasantly surprised at the responses in this thread [In reply to]  

Hoping the Elves will be kept at a minimum

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:33am

Post #194 of 209 (5589 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's motivation in going after treasure [In reply to]  

DId you try right-clicking the image and opening it in a new window? On Windows, that helps. Details here.

Re Thranduil's motivation in the book. Tolkien never shaped them, but it is implied. Book quote:

Far over Mirkwood tidings spread: "Smaug is dead!" Leaves rustled and startled ears were lifted. Even before the Elvenking rode forth the news had passed west right to the pinewoods of the Misty Mountains; Beorn had heard it in his wooden house, and the goblins were at council in their caves.

"That will be the last we shall hear of Thorin Oakenshield, I fear," said the king. "He would have done better to have remained my guest. It is an ill wind, all the same," he added, "that blows no one any good." For he too had not forgotten the legend of the wealth of Thror. So it was that Bard's messengers found him now marching with many spearmen and bowmen; and crows were gathered thick above him, for they thought that war was awakening again, such as had not been in those parts for a long age.

But still, as we've discussed before, I don't think greed is the only motivation. And the highlighted line, to me, indicates, he knows the implications of leaving the treasure to its defenses, so to speakTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:37am

Post #195 of 209 (5591 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, and thanks to tumblr, we're getting Pretty! without having to wait [In reply to]  

for long, for both images and GIFs, even ones with the lines subbed in. Long live fandom!!!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:39am

Post #196 of 209 (5581 views)
Shortcut
     Glad you enjoyed it. Though I guess everyone's enamoured of the new Pretty! [In reply to]  

I just want to share the still good stuff from the pre-DOS EE eraEvil

Did you check out the other Father and Son fan arts?

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 27 2014, 3:40am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:48am

Post #197 of 209 (5583 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah, poor Kerewyn, and some Thranduil character thoughts [potential BotFA spoilers] [In reply to]  

Poor Kerewyn's going to be shellshocked. I hope she gets over the jet-lag before she thinks about checking in on the boards.Evil

In Reply To
But, honestly, we already know he's going to be one of the Heroes. Cool

PJ and gang seems to want to make him the vaguely sorta anti-Hero/antagonist (which Bard seems to be shaping up to be too) though.

And tbh, add the latest spoiler from stn5 to the mix (not a surprise to me in itself but what a weird cocktail when we think about the above point) ... I'm going just a little WTH with all the strange signals we're getting on PJ and gang's intentions. But well, to me, Thranduil can be lounging and laughing, and doing nothing much else while the rest go to their respective fates, and we'd still be raving madlyLaugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:57am

Post #198 of 209 (5576 views)
Shortcut
     Yay, Eruvandi! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Re the test: It went very well! I only missed 4 questions out of 23 and I feel like I'm understanding the concepts. I only wish it didn't have to take so long to follow all the required steps for certain kinds of equations.Crazy

Cool!

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:58am

Post #199 of 209 (5568 views)
Shortcut
     I certainly do! [In reply to]  

In the best swordsman anime character cool traditionHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 27 2014, 3:58am

Post #200 of 209 (5569 views)
Shortcut
     mariel! that is just... *thud* [In reply to]  

Oh man, in b&w, his stunning profile is even stunningerHeart

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.