The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Feb 24 game

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 2 2008, 2:23pm

Post #1 of 5 (3514 views)
Shortcut
** ~ Movie Trivial Pursuit ~ ** Answers to Feb 24 game Can't Post

First, I'm going to follow a suggestion made during my informal survey a few weeks back and take a short break. I am having a lot of fun with my answer posts but 'a lot of fun' = 'a lot of time'. I actually work best when I can throw myself into something and then step back and take a break. I stepped back to take a break from my website after finishing the ROTK lyrics update and now I'm ready to tackle the themes. So for March, I will spend some time on my website and perhaps banking some trivia questions (can't stay away completely, can I?). I'll be back in April with fresh enthusiasm.

Now the answers to last weeks game.

The first four were questions from the game. It can get kind of evil sometimes. The last two were my attempt to bring ROTK into the game more often.

1. How many cawing birds are perched on the scarecrow as Sam and Frodo leave the Shire?

Three

Elberbeth : does anyone know if or how many are real, or amniotronic? (is that the right word?)
Magpie : uh... if we're talking about pregnant birds. I think you're looking for the word, 'animatronic' related to 'animate'. At least you didn't mix it up with the word the lawyer from Jurassic Park use:

Donald Gennaro: Are these characters… auto… erotica?

Dernwyn : None. They're all silent.
Magpie : Well, Dernwyn was, I believe, going for humor here but I wouldn't earn my nitpicking stripes if I didn't say, 'they were not silent'. Listen to this soundclip to hear the caw of the wild. :P

2. How many sets of double-doors are there in Saruman's throne room in the Tower of Orthanc?

Four

Dernwyn: One left, one right, one forward, one back, and the one through which Gandalf landed on the roof.
Magpie : Again, going for humor but I gave her a point anyhow. :-)

The images don't do much to illuminate things. One door looks like another except for what you can see on the other side. The color is monochromatic. And without movement, it's hard to tell what's what. How about a soundclip? You can hear four distinct slammings of doors.

3. How many sides does the deep well in Balin's tomb have?

Eight

This was the hardest question of the week with only two people getting it correct.

Lots of you answered : Two. Inside and outside.
Ha ha but... no point. I never noticed the sides of the well until running into this question and going to get a screen shot. In the first image (on the left) the camera is inside the well looking up.

4. How many abreast does the column of warrior Elves march into Helm's Deep?

Four

Elberbeth : Four. (Didn't we already have this question once?)
Magpie : probably. I wasn't playing the trivia game before I took over so I don't know what has already been asked.

And... some of you had to go there, didn't you. ;^)

5. How many sections was the green space in the courtyard of Minas Tirith divided into?
four

Elberbeth : There's probably a mathematical name for this pie divided into quarters, but I don't know it.
Magpie : well, the sections could be called quadrants. I don't know about the entire area when divided into 4.
Ainu Laire : Hah! This one I know, because I built a 3-D model of the Citadel. According to the 3-D model, 4 large pieces, and then a very, very small plot of green right by the fountain (which may or may not count, you take your pick.)
Magpie : I guess you can almost make that out in the images. You can see the quadrants better in shots from the air but they shots are so fleeting.

6. How many arrows does Legolas use to bring down the Mūmakil?
Three

Elberbeth : Well, he certainly fired a lot of arrows while he was up there, but I think the shot that brings it down was three on one string, i.e. together.
Magpie : the arrows he fired after first climbing up the animal are at the Haradrim. After dispatching the contraption that carries the men, he walks from the hind end to the fore end. On the way, he grabs one arrow and notches it and then reaches back and grabs two. (sigh) It is these three and only these that are fired into the beast.

Starling : One
Magpie : *grabs head and groans* This is Legolas' last (individual) defining moment as an Elven Warrior. He would never fire just one. ;^)

Bonus task: write a Middle-earth "How many" joke

How many __________ does it take to __________?

I don't know if I could write a joke to save my life. Well, maybe if I had weeks to think about it.

These humorists did.

Alassėa Eruvande wrote a whopping 4
This was a 'contest' but my favorite's was Menelwyn's

How many Moriquendi does it take to change a light bulb? What's wrong with the dark?

Because the only thing better than an Elf is a mysterious Elf and those Moriquendi are wonderfully mysterious.

Scores:

weaver : 3
laerasea : 5
Owlyross : 1 + much amusement
Alassėa Eruvande : 3
Elberbeth : 3
dernwyn : 1 + much amusement
Ainu Laire : 4
Starling : 1 + a gazillion number of mega bonus points
Menelwyn : 5

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 2 2008, 2:24pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 3 2008, 2:23pm

Post #2 of 5 (2961 views)
Shortcut
oops... mistyped in there [In reply to] Can't Post

way down at the bottom: I meant to say (about the jokes) this was NOT a contest.

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 4 2008, 4:48am

Post #3 of 5 (2955 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness [In reply to] Can't Post

you will be away for awhile - I need to do a lot of extra homework!
Thanks for all your hard work (and the bonus points, I surely needed them this week Crazy)

Laugh

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 9 2008, 4:03pm

Post #4 of 5 (2941 views)
Shortcut
When you come back, no more math only quizzes, ok???? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got a shameful three -- and considering I had actually asked some of these questions before, that's really bad! Even for a non-math brain type like me!

Enjoy your break and working with the themes on your website. That will be worth the wait around here for Trivia!

**puts light in window, vows to keep it burning until Mapgie the Trivia Mistress's return...**

We shall be expecting you!

Weaver

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2008, 1:02am

Post #5 of 5 (3266 views)
Shortcut
You have sharp ears! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really was trying to be funny Angelic, but I do always seem to miss those little bits of background sounds - thank you for the "bite"!

So the well was octagonal!

I like the Moriquendi riddle because - well, who other than Tolkien geeks would understand it? Wink

Thank you, Magpie, enjoy the break!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.