Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 2:36pm

Post #151 of 209 (1941 views)
Shortcut
     Large res clean edit (and a b&w edit collection) [In reply to]  

from our fav artist, and I just gotta say, this proves Thranduil has no bad angle even if someone tries to foist one on himHeartHeart

Source (And yay! I can add linkies now! )

And the same Pretty! in b&w along with the slew of PR Pretty! we've been getting.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 26 2014, 2:37pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 2:47pm

Post #152 of 209 (1976 views)
Shortcut
     More scans! Thranduil BTS and his army in armour [In reply to]  

Elaborate headdress innit

Very different from the ones in the LA in the FotR prologue or even Lothlorien's at Helm's Deep in TTT

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 2:49pm

Post #153 of 209 (1975 views)
Shortcut
     Another fanart [In reply to]  

Plus this b&W

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 26 2014, 2:51pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 2:52pm

Post #154 of 209 (1954 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks. mariel [In reply to]  

Looks like my little problem has been exorcised Smile

=======

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 6:24pm

Post #155 of 209 (1955 views)
Shortcut
     Spoilers: The making of BoFA '...Into the Fire' [In reply to]  

From this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcKqWG2fXVI

I think it's new, at least I hadn't seen it before Smile
And it starts off great with a bit of Thranduil fighting footage HeartHeart Just a sec. or so but worth the watch of course! And later on we'll see more Thranduil, again very short but great to watch.

*Spoilers*
it seems as if they made a Gandalf 'double' doll?*

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2014, 7:09pm

Post #156 of 209 (1960 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, cool! [In reply to]  

I didn't think anyone would be able to enhance that pic, but it looks good! I bow to their photoshop prowess.Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

mariel
Lorien

Oct 26 2014, 7:29pm

Post #157 of 209 (1937 views)
Shortcut
     Another B&W edit [In reply to]  

clicky

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 26 2014, 8:30pm

Post #158 of 209 (1929 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! [In reply to]  

I agree, it has a nice portrait feel to it. Smile The only way I think it would be better would be if Thranduil was just wearing the black tunic without the armor. It just seems a little odd that he'd sit there in his armor for hours while someone painted his portrait.Tongue

Come to think of it, it seems like portraits aren't an elf thing in general, at least in PJ's movie-verse. In the movies I've noticed that although the elves (at least I assume it's the elves) do paint things like the Last Alliance painting near the shards of Narsil in Rivendell, as far as we know, they don't paint portraits of themselves. They make sculptures of generic elves and stuff like that, but it never seems to be anyone specific, IIRC.

The Men of ME however apparently do make portraits of specific people, like the portrait the Master of Laketown has of himself on the wall of his bedchambers.

Er...I'm not sure what the point of my little comparison/observation is and I actually feel like I'm rambling a little by pointing it out, but it's something to think about anyway.Evil

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:38pm

Post #159 of 209 (1906 views)
Shortcut
     Mariel, you're on fire [In reply to]  

*SQUEEEEEEEE*!!!!!!!! Heart

In Reply To

He looks so gorgeous in this picture (have to agree with Lurker, there are no bad pictures or angles when it comes to Thranduil). Though this one I specifically like because of that captivating look, the HairHeart and, well, just about everything really *sigh*

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:42pm

Post #160 of 209 (1906 views)
Shortcut
     Hihi I know what you mean [In reply to]  

Nah you're not rambling don't worry Smile and nice observation. Haven't seen any Elven portraits in PJ's Middle Earth either now I come to think of it.
The one of the master of Laketown was funny though, he looked nothing like it IRL. That painter did a good job filtering and adding some elements to the portrait.

I wonder if Denetor has his own portrait as well? He seems like the type to have one, and made one of Boromir as well. Poor Faramir probably got a very small one, pocket size, to hang in the private bathroom Tongue

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:45pm

Post #161 of 209 (1928 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting second piece of fanart [In reply to]  

I love it Heart I know I'm starting to repeat myself with all the loving of new Thranduil pictures, but it's true. I just worship them and love them all to pieces.

That second photoshop though looks interesting, almost like an anime Thranduil version. Do you know what I mean?

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 10:56pm

Post #162 of 209 (1909 views)
Shortcut
     Oh hey new imagery, coolio [In reply to]  

Heh Thranduil just strutting in his raincoat with his big (wow that looks even taller in that pic) sword. PJ really does appear of Hobbit size next to this amazingly tall Elf.

Spoiler!
And wow first BOFA picture of one of the Nazgul, he's got the same look as in LotR. I'm glad they kept it the same though I think they used CGI this time around to create the Nazgul, don't you think? I read somewhere they didn't apply CGI in the FotR Nazgul. Will be interesting to see the difference (if any) between them.

Re the different armor of the Elves, I guess the Silvan Elves got an upgrade with their armor after the Battle of the first Alliance, eh? Good thinking Thranduil, don't want a repeat of what happend there and lots of Elves dying because of light armor. I'm liking the distinction they gave the different Elves. You clearly recognize the Noldor Elves with their golden armor, the Lothlorien Elves with their white fletched arrows contrasting against the slightly darker colored armor, and now we get to see the Silvan Elves in their armor. Exciting! How about the Sindar Elves and their armor? We all know what Thranduil's looks like (to die for, and not just figuratively, them Orcs be dying like flies), all silver and black, and hot and smoking Heart Do you think those were the Sindar colors for all their armor, or are these reserved just for the Sindar royals?

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:00pm

Post #163 of 209 (1902 views)
Shortcut
     OMG that's such an exciting photoshop!! [In reply to]  

Thank you so much for posting this, it's a very lovely photoshop on how the setting could actually look like Heart My own very limited imagination thanks the artist for making it and many thanks to you for posting it Smile
Though that floor looks a bit tricky at the right. It's a good thing Elves are sure-footed and have excellent balance.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:04pm

Post #164 of 209 (1911 views)
Shortcut
     Ohh that would be nice [In reply to]  

I like the way you're thinking. I think I would melt if it actually happens HeartHeart But I hope to see him smile to Legolas as well, a caring and loving smile when he sees his son has made it out of the fight alive and unharmed Heart Yeah I'm still craving for a little more father/son time.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:09pm

Post #165 of 209 (1894 views)
Shortcut
     LOL @ I don't need to look at him gif [In reply to]  

Hehe Laugh
I bet LP is already in his role as Thranduil, aloof and Kingly. 'Yeah I don't need to look at you while you talk to me. I will just stare ahead and pretend I'm not listening while you're all serious and everything.' Thranduil really is that cool Cool And *SQUEE!!!!* HeartHeart for he is wearing that smashing black tunic without any robe to hide it Heart

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 11:19pm

Post #166 of 209 (1887 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you... [In reply to]  

I glazed right over that. I think I like Tedoras, too. Heart

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:19pm

Post #167 of 209 (1903 views)
Shortcut
     You've done a fine job explaining [In reply to]  

Ever considered giving online internet etiquette lessons? WinkHeart

Too bad it's such a hassle to get it done right. I know it's for a reason but with the workability of this forum being far from user friendly as it is, it just adds up to even more work for a small (well, not so small when it's concerning our Elven Pretty!) result. Oh well better stop complaining cause it's for a good cause. PS am I still the only user who's got textbox problems (font doesn't change back from italic/bold use when I want it to)?

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 11:30pm

Post #168 of 209 (1925 views)
Shortcut
     Gettin' wise with the director... He needs a pinch - I volunteer! [In reply to]  

Actually, I'm sure the director gave his opinion just off camera. Wink

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 11:39pm

Post #169 of 209 (1890 views)
Shortcut
     I feel vindicated. [In reply to]  

I love the coloring, and the interior detail, too: the "tree-column" behind Thranduil and the "fairy lights" down the hall on the right.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:43pm

Post #170 of 209 (1888 views)
Shortcut
     A lovely edition of the WW [In reply to]  

And thanks again for taking the time to assort all the images into the right categories.

Of course I love all the Thranduil images, that goes without saying.

Mischievous Leggy indeed *grins* I bet Leggy was a very cute and naughty little Elfing Heart
http://harmonia3784.deviantart.com/...us-Legolas-429379138

Aww this remains one of my fav's of Thranduil/Leggy, beautifully done
http://moi-keiniku-sang.deviantart.com/...-you-daddy-354691536

Hey new piccie *saves*
http://myrkvidrs.tumblr.com/image/100439616645

LOL that drawn horse looks even better than the CGI one in DOS Tongue
http://yassena.tumblr.com/...-battle-by-neldorwen

OMG, you do remember from which video that picture drew inspiration? Evil (in case you forgot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDU7kTdLfF0)
http://fc08.deviantart.net/...ers_wife-d5rw1dj.jpg

What filthy word exactly? This gif leaves me with more questions than answers Angelic
http://ninaledgerbloom.tumblr.com/...f-gets-me-every-time

HCF serie
Hello Joe, care to take a look at my 21st century technology? <insert 'if you know what I mean' gif here> Ha ok that was so lame Evil I suck at coming up with catchy pick up lines.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 26 2014, 11:50pm

Post #171 of 209 (1877 views)
Shortcut
     Unfortunately can't zoom in on the text on my laptop [In reply to]  

Will try again to read some of it on the ipad tomorrow.
But one thing did caught my eye: '(.....) Thranduil is tempted into the fray by the treasure(....)'

Is this true to the book? I haven't read it as you know, but is this the sole reason for Thranduil (book version anyway) to pick up his entire army and march to Erebor?

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 26 2014, 11:51pm)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 11:52pm

Post #172 of 209 (1885 views)
Shortcut
     I'm sure the EE will give her a few turns... [In reply to]  

But I thought she planned to avoid movie spoilers, so I worry that the rash of non-EE spoilers we seem to have here already will scare her away. I think they're arriving earlier than expected.

'Course, she probably just wants to dodge us thralls raving about EXACTLY how wonderful Thranduil is after viewing BOFA with our own eyes.

But, honestly, we already know he's going to be one of the Heroes. Cool

VValar
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:00am

Post #173 of 209 (1871 views)
Shortcut
     Ha I already thought you'd probably not read the question entirely [In reply to]  

Re your #17 prediction, we know Thranduil fights in Dale. But he fights in the greater battle as well, no? It seems #17 and 18 are positions in the great battle.

Ah your second piccie + text clarifies it!

In Reply To

A few brave men were strung before them to make a feint of resistance, and many there fell before the rest drew back and fled to either side.

That would seem like a sucky job to be put up with Evil

Overall I'm liking the actual Hobbit-book battle plan version a lot better than PJ's. But who knows, could just be a draft and we all get worked up again over nothing Tongue

BTW, what would be the most dangerous position to be in, aka where will the fiercest fight be at?

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 27 2014, 12:01am

Post #174 of 209 (1893 views)
Shortcut
     Middle-Earth the Sitcom. [In reply to]  

VValar
Gondor

Oct 27 2014, 12:03am

Post #175 of 209 (1880 views)
Shortcut
     Agree fully! [In reply to]  

There is just no reasonable explanation for excluding this potential wonderful and inctricate scene from the EE's.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.