The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Armor Discussion: Luke Evans Dragon Armor

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 11 2014, 6:16am

Post #1 of 10 (859 views)
Shortcut
Armor Discussion: Luke Evans Dragon Armor Can't Post

First of all, I have always been a fan of armor, and LOTR is filled with those. Recently, reading about Luke Evan's recent project, "Dracula Untold" I could not help but see some Hobbit inspiration

What do you think?

Maciliel
Valinor

Oct 12 2014, 10:50am

Post #2 of 10 (771 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

"dracul" meant dragon in that region's language... and "dracula" meant "son of the dragon." so this preexisted lotr, and even tolkien's birth. i think it's natural to glean artistic inspiration from that. i don't see any evidence of smaug-inspiration ('tho the costume designer may gave been -- i just don't see anything tangible) .

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 12 2014, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 10 (764 views)
Shortcut
As Maciliel said, he is "son of the dragon" so of course there will be Dragon inspiration in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink Amazing armour though - a shame we only see it near end of the film.
I really liked Dracula Untold and Ramin Djawadi's soundtrack composition for it. Fully recommend for halloween! Smile

..The Lord of Silver Fountains
.....The King of Carven Stone
..The King Under the Mountain
.......Shall come into his own

..And the bells will ring in gladness
......At the Mountain King's return
..But all shall fail in sadness
....And the lake will shine and burn

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 13 2014, 4:32pm

Post #4 of 10 (745 views)
Shortcut
It really was a good movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect we'll be commenting on it in the usual "what have you watched" thread. AWSOME armor, but I think it stands by itself compared to the angular stuff the dwarves will wear, or the more flowing elven armor. To me it has a definite Eastern influence, maybe not Chinese or Mongolian but then again Romania is probably the farthest "Western" nation. Btw, a few years ago I read this awsome book called "The Historian," which also looked at the historical Vlad/Dracula myth, and really covered alot of the conflict with the Ottomans and Mehmed II. Very interesting read.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 14 2014, 3:50am

Post #5 of 10 (741 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"dracul" meant dragon in that region's language... and "dracula" meant "son of the dragon." so this preexisted lotr, and even tolkien's birth. i think it's natural to glean artistic inspiration from that. i don't see any evidence of smaug-inspiration ('tho the costume designer may gave been -- i just don't see anything tangible) .

cheers --

There might not be anything tangible, beyond the dragon motif. I just found the design interesting, and something I could see being in ME as an armor design,

I never really focused on the "dragon" part of Dracula, but the Impaler part ;)

(This post was edited by Elciryamo on Oct 14 2014, 4:02am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:35pm

Post #6 of 10 (718 views)
Shortcut
neat looking stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

... but dragons is dragons...

Yes, I think it's a bit Smaugish, but it is also an archetypal dragon.

Which is what Smaug is too.

I think it's very hard to design a dragon which looks different from all the other dragons we've designed over the millenia.

How to Train Your Dragon (both films) did one of the finest jobs of recreating the archetype in new forms based on real animals (also dump trucks and the kitchen sink).

A paleontologist I saw once in a lecture fielded a question from a kid about the relationship between dragons and dinosaurs. There are dragon legends in places where there are no large reptiles...

...but there are dino bones.

I personally think it's ancestral memory; our teeny mammalian ancestors were running around under the feet of T-Rex and others.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 8:32am

Post #7 of 10 (711 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps so [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine that tales of such large animals would be spread and mythologized (is that a word?) over time so that the dragons would become even larger, and breath fire :D

More of my thoughts were how well this armor would fit in Middle Earth, as perhaps a leader's armor. Just fun speculation :D

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:34pm

Post #8 of 10 (703 views)
Shortcut
history is a burden, stories can make us fly... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's a quote from a recent Dr Who episode (line at the end, said by Robin Hood to the Doctor)...

Robin Hood, King Arthur... and no doubt dragons... share some mythological DNA.

I saw a special on King Arthur and it showed how the iconic tale we know may have begun as several real chieftains, their stories told and retold and interwoven and finally mythologized (I dunno, I think it's a word).

I think dragons are the same. DNA memory, fossils of mysterious animals dug up, travelers' tales of huge reptiles (giant tropical snakes, saltwater crocs). Those really big African crocs eat zebras for a living, and I remember seeing an illustration of St. Somebodyorother slaying a dragon from horseback, the dragon was about the size of a good croc.

The fire thing? I wonder... certainly a mythic image that got connected to them.

In China, dragons are associated more with water.They bring rain. There is a huge salamander (related to our local Pennsylvania hellbender, itself nearly two feet long) of six feet in length that is referred to as a "baby dragon". Hellbenders live solely underwater, in clear swift streams. The dragon itself is considered to be a mythic combination of many animals. In martial arts as well, it is all the animals combined (just watch Kung Fu Panda again...).

Ironically, in How To Train Your Dragon (both films) the animators studied many different animals and combined them to create the wonderful quirky, and highly believable, dragons of Berk.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 2:45pm

Post #9 of 10 (702 views)
Shortcut
Fossil bones [In reply to] Can't Post

There used to be a school of thought that our ancestors would not have recognized the fossil bones of large, prehistoric creatures as bones, as absurd as this sounds. It seems much more likely that they would give a mythological interpretation to such remains. I seem to recall one instance where a mastodon skull was thought to have been the skull of a cyclops (the hole for the trunk being mistaken for an eye socket). I can easily see the bones of a dinosaur being mistaken for those of a dragon.

Perhaps this topic is worthy of its own thread.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 26 2014, 4:13am

Post #10 of 10 (703 views)
Shortcut
Feel free to discuss it here [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no reason to create a new thread when this conversation has flown rather naturally from the original post.

I will see if I can amend the original post title to reflect this topic shift :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.