Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

mariel
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 1:27pm

Post #101 of 209 (7267 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm [In reply to]  

I hope the Total Film article is a misunderstanding by the reporter. As far as the book is concerned Thranduil only advised Bilbo not to return to the dwarves because Thorin was likely to be angry with him for giving the Arkenstone to Bard - unless the below is meant to occur after Bilbo has been back to the dwarves and then sent away by Thorin. If so, it is a scene completely made up by the film writers and I wonder why they want to make Thrandy out to be a villain when there is no evidence anywhere in the books that he was anything of the sort.

THE ORCS ATTACK DALE AND THRANDY IS THERE AND SO IS GANDALF AND GANDALF WANTS TO WARN THORIN BUT THRANDY SAYS NO, THEN BILBO WANTS TO GO TO WARN THEM BUT GANDALF SAYS ‘I WONT ALLOW IT’ AND BILBO SAYS ‘IM NOT ASKING YOU TO ALLOW IT. THOSE ARE MY FRIENDS OUT THERE. IM GOING.’

As you say, trust issues where his plotline is concerned.Frown

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 3:12pm

Post #102 of 209 (7221 views)
Shortcut
     Playing catch up [In reply to]  

Wow, I don't log in for two days to study for and take an algebra test and I end up 100 posts behind! Guess I better get to reading TA thread XX!Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 3:49pm

Post #103 of 209 (7233 views)
Shortcut
     Re TORn's guidelines for pic sizes for everyone's reference [In reply to]  

This is just for everyone's future reference so we don't have to worry about losing any great HTR pics to wrath of Mod.Evil

According Magpie's lovely TORn Image posting Guide any pics posted on TORn should be no larger than 210,000 pixels squared. So, if you multiply the length of the pic by its width, the resulting number should be no more than 210,000.

511 multiplied by 512 comes out to 261,632 pixels squared, so VValar, your pic actually is too big, but given how busy the Hobbit board is right now, the almighty Modar probably haven't read most of our TA posts to see it.

For anyone who doesn't know about them already, there are online image resizers that will let you type in a pic height or width and it will automatically resize things while keeping the pic proportionate and also reducing the file size. I personally prefer this one that Magpie links to in her guide. Unfortunately none of the resizers I've seen show the pixels squared so you'll need to do the multiplication yourself.

Hope this is helpful for everyone.Smile

"Home is behind the world ahead
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
All shall fade"

mariel
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 4:26pm

Post #104 of 209 (7236 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art [In reply to]  

According to the artist this is "a quick speed painting" !

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 8:53pm

Post #105 of 209 (7237 views)
Shortcut
     A FLAST to start off your Saterday night/Sunday morning, and this one is for Kerewyn as well [In reply to]  

Flustered Leggy And Sassy Thranduil Cool

It's a clicky!

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 8:58pm

Post #106 of 209 (7226 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil - Thorin dynamics giggles [In reply to]  

I love how the artist took in consideration the hight differences of the actual actors and PJ Laugh

This one is a clicky too!

Can't blame poor RA for having an instant crush on the beautiful LPHeart

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 9:04pm

Post #107 of 209 (7225 views)
Shortcut
     And some more fanedits [In reply to]  

Deviantart has been good to me tonight Smile

All clicky's!

I absolutely love this one, that intense look and fierce battle stance *oef*

Click to see those amazing eyes Heart

Very cool use of the background, gives an onimous feel for BoFA

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 9:09pm

Post #108 of 209 (7211 views)
Shortcut
     Oooooooooeeeeeeee new Pretty! [In reply to]  

Oh and don't you just love his hair without anything in it?
He doesn't need all the fuss, just let it flow au naturel Heart
Also notice how amazingy long his neck looks, like a true supermodel.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 9:13pm

Post #109 of 209 (7215 views)
Shortcut
     Gah too bad they took the images down [In reply to]  

But look what I found? Angelic
https://pbs.twimg.com/...J3IIAAba5I.jpg:large

It's not much but it's better than nothing!

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 9:21pm

Post #110 of 209 (7195 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome back [In reply to]  

And emm I already thought it would not meet the allowed measurements but emm I was lazy? Does that sound like a good excuse? And hopefully we'll get to another threadlock before it's put down. Promise I will make the next images I post fit within the px allowed Angelic

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 9:24pm

Post #111 of 209 (7189 views)
Shortcut
     Very cool! [In reply to]  

Even if I had two whole days I wouldn't be able to produce something like that!

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 9:28pm

Post #112 of 209 (7189 views)
Shortcut
     Regarding all the Total Film spoilers... [In reply to]  

I think we really need to take it with a grain of salt. I don't have the magazine myself, but I'm betting all this 'behind the scenes' info was gathered a few years ago, when most of the filming was originally being done. Much may have changed since then. (It only takes a word, here and there, to make a huge difference sometimes.) Even if some of it was gathered in an interview a week ago, we know PJ is notorious for altering bits and pieces (and possibly replacing whole characters digitally) right down to the last second.

I agree with VValar 100%: Don't believe anything until you see it for yourself. (Because even if the bare facts of the spoilers are there on screen in December, the impression given by the live action could be completely different from what you'd expect.)

~~
Kerewyn is wise to avoid this place until she sees the last chapter. Tongue

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 10:36pm

Post #113 of 209 (7195 views)
Shortcut
     Originally, I wasn't bothered by the lack of Thranduil Cut Scenes [In reply to]  

The Appendices kept providing more and more alternate goodies. Then I saw this:

And, yeah, my imagination wanted to go in every direction. This could have been so gorgeous! And that's just the view. Every little addition to the scenery in that room of Thranduil's halls could have told us something about the Elvenking himself. Besides...

He's so sad and solemn... must be the sight of Erebor and the thought of those Gems.

That want and fear, and possibly some regret, would have been just outside that 'window' reminding him of it every day. (Kind of depressing - but also fantastic! - stuff.)

I'm pretty much with you on the rest too: it shows a knowledgeable and concerned King; it changes the Legolas and Tauriel dynamic; and there could have been a way to blend it with some of the repetition elsewhere.

~~

There are a few things that I could accept as reasonable excuses to remove it from the story (if BOFA turns out well): there's the already mentioned emphasis on Bard revealing the rhyme; they may prefer some other method for Thranduil to learn Smaug is out and about; they have some other Legolas/Thranduil/Tauriel scene planned that fills in the blanks; or they decided a view like that had no place in an underground encampment (meant to keep Thranduil and his subjects locked up tight).

But there is NO excuse for them not throwing together a version of it to include as a non-storyline cut scene. (If Alan Lee could produce that in a few minutes, I'm sure a couple of hours could have given us a spectacular background to go with the actors.)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 10:44pm

Post #114 of 209 (7178 views)
Shortcut
     Those are seriously adorable! [In reply to]  

Laugh

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 11:14pm

Post #115 of 209 (7168 views)
Shortcut
     As usual... [In reply to]  

Lovin' all the images I find here.

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 11:19pm

Post #116 of 209 (7194 views)
Shortcut
     He does drink the wine... [In reply to]  

And it's good!

That's adorable. Cool

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 11:30pm

Post #117 of 209 (7186 views)
Shortcut
     lol. But that's sleeping-while-walking-around... [In reply to]  

Something I'm pretty sure I got from that "Owner's Guide to Legolas Thranduilion." (May not be the exact title.) Theresa Greene wouldn't exaggerate, surely!

But if what they do could more accurately be called daydreaming-while-walking-around... I just might be an Elf! Tongue

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 11:35pm

Post #118 of 209 (7169 views)
Shortcut
     Ooo! I think I like Demosthenes. [In reply to]  

Those are very good articles. Thank you! (I'm afraid I don't get "around" at TORn very much.)

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Oct 25 2014, 11:59pm

Post #119 of 209 (7184 views)
Shortcut
     This feels a bit OT... (The Fisher King) [In reply to]  

But I'm going to insert it here anyway, before I manage to miss a whole thread (or three) again.

The idea of Thranduil being something like a Fisher King (from King Aurthur and Grail mythology) was introduced by Lee Pace in an interview and was (briefly) discussed elsewhere in a Thranduil Appreciation Thread (or three). For those who haven't seen all that, the comparison suggests that Thranduil is a Wounded King who need only be asked a healing question to be made whole again.

It's a romantic notion, but I expect Bilbo will be the one to... do something... that brings about an obvious change in the Elvenking (which, by extension, changes his kingdom). I'm thinking he'll be given those jewels of starlight as his share of the treasure and he'll turn around and re-gift them to Thranduil. (I'm not the first one to suggest this and as far as I know it's not a spoiler, just a(n obvious) guess.)

Here we begin the OT: I recently viewed an old movie coincidentally titled The Fisher King. I expected to see Arthurian plot points and humor (based on the stars and the director), and there was that, but there was an adorable telling of the myth, as well. I found an easy-to-copy-paste quote from the movie and I wanted to put it here. Just because.

The Fisher King (1991)
Screenwriter(s): Richard LaGravenese

The Story of the Fool and the Fisher King, Told in Central Park

Disillusioned, half-insane ex-medieval history professor and homeless vagrant Parry's (Robin Williams) telling of the legendary story of the simple-minded Fool and the Fisher King involving the quest for the Holy Grail (the cup from the Last Supper). He was lying naked on his back on the grass in Central Park at night (doing what he called "cloud-busting"), next to despairing, guilt-ridden, suicidally-despondent radio DJ shock-jock Jack Lucas (Jeff Bridges):

It begins with the king as a boy, having to spend the night alone in the forest to prove his courage so he can become the king. Now while he is spending the night alone, he's visited by a sacred vision. Out of the fire appears the holy grail, symbol of God's divine grace. And a voice said to the boy, 'You shall be keeper of the grail so that it may heal the hearts of men.' But the boy was blinded by greater visions of a life filled with power and glory and beauty. And in this state of radical amazement, he felt for a brief moment not like a boy, but invincible, like God, so he reached into the fire to take the grail, and the grail vanished, leaving him with his hand in the fire to be terribly wounded. Now as this boy grew older, his wound grew deeper. Until one day, life for him lost its reason. He had no faith in any man, not even himself. He couldn't love or feel loved. He was sick with experience. He began to die.

One day, a Fool wandered into the castle and found the king alone. And being a Fool, he was simple-minded, he didn't see a king. He only saw a man alone and in pain. And he asked the king: 'What ails you, friend?' The king replied: 'I'm thirsty. I need some water to cool my throat.' So the Fool took a cup from beside his bed, filled it with water, and handed it to the king. As the king began to drink, he realized his wound was healed. He looked at his hands, and there was the Holy Grail - that which he sought all of his life! He turned to the Fool and said with amazement: 'How could you find that which my brightest and bravest could not?' And the Fool replied: 'I don't know. I only knew that you were thirsty.' It's very beautiful, isn't it?

I feel pretty sure you can draw some interesting parallels to the Thranduil we see in DoS and this story. It's very beautiful, isn't it? Heart

(This post was edited by vanima ephel on Oct 26 2014, 12:09am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2014, 2:19am

Post #120 of 209 (7193 views)
Shortcut
     If we find repeated violations [In reply to]  

we will issue warnings to the posters, which may result in banning from the forum. We don't catch everything, but it's everyone's job to abide by the rules and not wait until they get caught.

We all realize that the Thranduil appreciation threads are popular, but we won't let them continue if they violate our Terms of Service.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 3:18am

Post #121 of 209 (7165 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, VValar! And good to see a well-written piece from someone who cannot be labelled a fangurl [In reply to]  

Very nice read, and yes, nothing new that we've not covered in TAAngelic but it's nice to have the key points collated into one article by an unbiased writer. I've said my view about fans who miss out on and dismiss Thranduil's awesomeness just cos he's not got a genealogy, so I won't repeat them againSmile

Very OT:
while looking through the TORn homepage as a result of this article, I saw this one: EW proposes The Walking Dead mirrors The Lord of the Rings,
just LOL and prolly only Kerewyn gets the joke now, but I had to chuckle because of the so-called similarities thingy being so like all those attempts by fandom to prove the blond-haired other characters that are like Thranduil, and the EW article had to use the self-same series that I well, used to poke fun at fandom in tw5Laugh Sorry, i amuse too much sometimes.Evil

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 3:20am

Post #122 of 209 (7128 views)
Shortcut
     Eh, just want to point out [In reply to]  

Demosthenes posted the article, but the writer is Tedoras. Demonsthenes wrote the other piece he said this one is a companion to. Credits to both!Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 3:22am

Post #123 of 209 (7167 views)
Shortcut
     psst, mariel [In reply to]  

they the same ones from stn5 that cause the collective fatal thuds.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 4:31am

Post #124 of 209 (7158 views)
Shortcut
     *GAH* Correction to previous reply and Apologies [BotFA Battle spoilers] [In reply to]  

Very sorry there, I have no idea what I was thinking when I responded. But here are my more developed thoughts to where Thranduil would be:
#17. We do see him in Dale after all. I think #18 might be reserves or perhaps Legolas bringing reinforcements... though, just looking at the interesting idea of having 2 Elf positions, and we've seen no indication of this unlikely scenario, Elrond post-DG bearing party favours?? I hope not. This should be Thranduil's and his army's MOMENT.

More musings on the Battle, re plans of PJ. Interesting drawing though I am feeling the shadow of a foreboding doubt if indeed it's the literal plans. Not that it's not different from the book. In fact, it's the exact opposite. For reference (yay google, saved me another map edit jobTongue):

This is a fair representation of the various hosts' positions

Relevant book quotes:
At the start of battle

On the Southern spur, in its lower slopes and in the rocks at its feet, the Elves were set; on the Eastern spur were men and dwarves. But Bard and some of the nimblest of men and elves climbed to the height of the Eastern shoulder to gain a view to the North” Soon they could see the lands before the Mountain's feet black with a hurrying multitude. Ere long the vanguard swirled round the spur's end and came rushing into Dale. These were the swiftest wolf-riders, and already their cries and howls rent the air afar. A few brave men were strung before them to make a feint of resistance, and many there fell before the rest drew back and fled to either side. As Gandalf had hoped, the goblin army had gathered behind the resisted vanguard, and poured now in rage into the valley, driving wildly up between the arms of the Mountain, seeking for the foe. Their banners were countless, black and red, and they came on like a tide in fury and disorder.

& in the midst of it all.

... and the elf-lords were at bay about their king upon the southern arm, near to the watch-post on Ravenhill.

Very interesting innit? I think this is a far better take on the Battle and the hosts' respective positions than the literal drawings of PJ's plans. The good guys did have a few minutes, in the book, to think strategy and make plans. Plus having HeartHeartThranduil, with his rich, vast field experience and his cred as successful field commander, drawing up and making their plans surely count for something! They would have taken positions advantageous to their effort, rather than be a huddle of sitting ducks as in the literal sense of PJ's plans. I really wouldn't want it to be the literal and have it end up being a setup for the Eagles and Beorn to save the day at its despairing end. Enough of that in RotK on the Pelennor when Aragorn brought his new besties. I want to see the good guys really having a chance at turning the tides and the orc army pushing back and really grind into the good guys before the deciding manoeuvres. War is not pretty after all, and if the Eagles simply flap in and win the day, where's the suspense and tension? I want the grim and gritty, and I want the DRAMA and EXCITEMENT and TENSION!

I'll be shaking my fist at the screen and cursing if it is literal. But of course, I won't be leaving the theatre until I see the credits roll - can't miss any frame Thranduil is in after allAngelic.

Still, PJ has shown he stages spectacular battles, so I hope for some good stuff out of all this. *fingers crossed*

(GAH!!! I managed to somehow refresh the edit page while checking for last min edits before posting... stupid... something!!!! dang, i hope i remember to put back all I wanted to say Mad)

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 26 2014, 4:33am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 26 2014, 4:35am

Post #125 of 209 (7151 views)
Shortcut
     It is! LOL! And here's the accompany GIFs to the image [In reply to]  

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.