Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Shadow of Mordor is what Tolkien's fan deserve.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 9:07am

Post #1 of 9 (6137 views)
Shortcut
Shadow of Mordor is what Tolkien's fan deserve. Can't Post

At last After 6 years of despair I thought I will never see a decent ME game in my life.

but then Shadow of Mordor comes and turns the tide.

Obviously The game ripped the combat system from Batman Arkham series but also they invent the unforgettable Nemesis system which made this game shine.

I love how they present Celebrimbor in the game and the next installment we would see blue wizard if WB sell this game well.Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 2:35pm

Post #2 of 9 (5969 views)
Shortcut
Blue Wizard(s)? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love how they present Celebrimbor in the game and the next installment we would see blue wizard if WB sell this game well.Wink

I assume you mean both of the Blue Wizards, not just one of them.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 9 (5956 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Agreed on this being an amazing game, although I have enjoyed every Middle-earth game released. But SoM is such a blast. For Tolkien fans to shy away from it just because it goes against some of his lore is a travesty. I mean, of course people have their problems with it and by no means am I saying folk shouldn't have an opinion on it. But there's a reason this game has gotten nothing but praise from everyone who's played it.

And we probably wouldn't see the Blue Wizards. The game makes reference to them a few times, of course, but due to rights issues, they are something I don't think WB could put in a game, as that's treading on Silmarillion territory. Even The Hobbit couldn't mention their names.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 22 2014, 7:27am

Post #4 of 9 (5992 views)
Shortcut
No Tolkien game [In reply to] Can't Post

I like playing it, it is fun to hunt Orcs.

But using the character name Celebrimbor and the presence of Gollum doesn't make this a Middle-earth experience for me.

Before people jump on me for being a purist - I do not have any issues with the wraith story.

But with the boring way Middle-earth is presented. The moments that feel atmospheric are imho sooooo few. Even LotRO with its old graphics and wooden gameplay has so much better moments to offer in terms of Tolkien and Middle-earth.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 3:39pm

Post #5 of 9 (5934 views)
Shortcut
It is a fun game [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the Tolkien related aspects are fantastic but they're a little too lose with the lore for me as a whole.

Wordofmask
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 9 (5889 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

but sometime keeping some distance from the original work is needed if you want to try someting new in term of Gameplay

I think the relation of Shadow of Mordor and Tolkien's world is much like Metalgear Solid (Snake, Big Boss - Stealth Gameplay) and Metalgear Rising Revengeance (Riden as Cyborg Ninja - Hack and Slash). You know both game's events happen in the same world/universe but each of them gives you different experiences.

(This post was edited by Wordofmask on Oct 25 2014, 5:35pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 7:11pm

Post #7 of 9 (5901 views)
Shortcut
Looser with the lore than Jackson has been? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know, I mean the idea of a dead Ranger with "wraith powers" isn't any more lore-breaking to me than the Nazgul being buried in tombs, or Azog surviving the Battle of Azanulbizar.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 9 (5892 views)
Shortcut
I will freely admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the one reason I haven't went out and bought it yet is because the story seems so contradictory of Tolkien lore. I'm a bit encouraged by the excellent reviews it's gotten, but I might just wait until the price goes down a bit. After all, I'm a little low on spending cash right now, and Assassins Creed Rogue and Dragon Age Inquisition (two games I'm much more excited about) are releasing right around the corner.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 8:36pm

Post #9 of 9 (6008 views)
Shortcut
I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.