Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:51pm

Post #76 of 209 (2309 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art, and musings [In reply to]  

I can imagine the bottom half of this fan art being a memory accompaniment to the scene, quite in contradiction to the top half, which is the impression we've been getting.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:55pm

Post #77 of 209 (2329 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: Bigger version of this smile [In reply to]  

SmileHeart Happy Weekend!

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 9:27pm

Post #78 of 209 (2286 views)
Shortcut
     Aaaaawwww this right here just made my weekend [In reply to]  

He looks cute and just so sweet Heart Heart
I know it isn't very suitable in the story with the Elves going to war and everything, but I hope we get to see him smile at least once in the film. Perhaps at the very end of bofa, just to see him being able to have a little joy instead of all the seriousness and dread.

In Reply To
SmileHeart Happy Weekend!

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 9:30pm

Post #79 of 209 (2304 views)
Shortcut
     Btw just look at these cute earrings [In reply to]  

How cool is this?? Cool

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 24 2014, 9:31pm)

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 9:37pm

Post #80 of 209 (2280 views)
Shortcut
     It's such a shame [In reply to]  

They passed this opportunity to establish a more loving relationship between our favorite Elves Unsure

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 10:00pm

Post #81 of 209 (2281 views)
Shortcut
     *Squee!* those last two photos are to die for [In reply to]  

These:

They are the kind of smiles I would Heart to see in BoFA, don't you? Angelic
He looks like a younger, carefree version of himself.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 10:07pm

Post #82 of 209 (2306 views)
Shortcut
     There aren't a whole lot of Elves in comparison to the other races looking at this pic [In reply to]  

Where would Thranduil be fighting you reckon, at #17 or 18?

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 10:42pm

Post #83 of 209 (2258 views)
Shortcut
     RE Can we talk about it? =) [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I did my little rant... what do fellow Thralls think?

Argh the last topic went by so fast I forgot to reply.
First I just have to repost your picture of that scene, which I thought would have been an absolutely amazing new setting. I hope that one day a very talented fanartist will make it come to life.

In Reply To

In Reply To

another location in the Halls... and look at Erebor in the distance! I can just imagine it, Thranduil making time everyday for the longest time to just stand there and stare at it, thinking about the White-Gems.

Yes I would imagine it to be a private, therefor favourite, place for Thranduil to go to as well. He is able to oversee a large part of his Kingdom. Though it could be he thinks of the Lonely Mountain with an unsettling feeling, knowing there is a highly short-tempered and dangerous neighbour living there.

In Reply To

It's a Thranduil and Leggy moment. And they both speak Elvish!

We want more of it, and I'm not talking solely about the father and son moment. LP does an amazing job with the Elvish *squee!* and I think I stopped breathing for a couple of seconds when I heard it in combination with (how you desribe it): a display of a different and softer emotion that we haven't seen before Heart I swear I will have a massive error in my head when I hear him talking more Elvish in Bofa, to Legolas and/or his army *THUD!*

In Reply To
Legolas gets character layering. He's not the jealous little princeling hanging on to Tauriel. This puts a different spin to their relationship, which would have been great to see. Also, he's a trusted confidante of Thranduil here. And that's as it should, for beings who live so long. Legolas' knowledge he displays in LotR makes sense with this... he didn't just sleep on an encyclopedia of ME one night and wake up in time to fulfil his destiny as the Oracle of the (partial)Fellowship.

LOL at your encyclopedia comparison. It makes sense some of the wisdom and thoughtfulness from his father rubbing off on him eventually. I like the way you describe Legolas as a trusted confidante of Thranduil. It's the opposite feeling we get while watching the Tauriel/Leggy 'It's not our fight' scene when his motives for coming after her aren't explained at all. I've said it before and I will say it again: huge fail to not include this wonderful clip.

In Reply To
Thranduil's awesome intellect and intuiting ability on display. "You have two days" he say so simply. Without ado or drama, but it's so full of PORTENT. And shows, imo, he cares very much for Tauriel in his own way, being willing to let Legolas even try. And even Legolas catching on is another side to him that's been missing.

I'm sorry I don't have any reasonable thoughts about Thranduil's motives here. Right after the 'You have two days' in Elvish, my mind freezes and won't work again for a couple of seconds afterwards. Do you think he would care deeply for Tauriel? What do you think Legolas means when he says his father has taken care of her of a couple of hundred years? Grrr so frustrating when we don't really know any history of the made up character created by the director.

In Reply To
I can understand that PJ took it out to preserve the impact of Bard's realisation. But why should it take away from the storyflow if it's worked in well? The crew has shown they're very capable of making things work if they wanted to. For example, why couldn't the scene of Bard making the discovery be interwoven with a small scene of Tauriel and Legolas en-route to Lake-town where Tauriel asks Legolas the circumstances of him getting the King's leave to come after her. He can tell her the deadline and do reminiscence of this exact scene, and as Thranduil recites the rhyme, the scene blends and morphs into Bard doing his thing. It's been done in the films before. For all the visual callbacks and resonances PJ has forced into TH, this would be the one call-back to all those LotR scenes of blending voices, seemingly disjointed scenes bleeding into one another that I would have loved and WANT TO SEE.

Personally when I first saw Bard's scene in DOS I loved the importance and impact of the moment. I can understand why PJ decided to not mess with it in the EE. That being said, I'm guessing he probably shot the deleted scene first. I just wish he could've given Thranduil perhaps a couple of other lines (that would still be of great relevance to the story), that way he might not have deleted the scene all together.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 10:49pm

Post #84 of 209 (2260 views)
Shortcut
     Fan addition to his white outfit [In reply to]  

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 10:52pm

Post #85 of 209 (2270 views)
Shortcut
     THUD, that left gif [In reply to]  

HeartAngelicAngelicHeartAngelicAngelicHeart

And look at his boots in the right gif, they really do look different from the black/velvet ones he wears in his fitting pictures.

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 11:01pm

Post #86 of 209 (2293 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah that's right Dwalin, you annoy His Kingship to no end [In reply to]  

The more I see of Thranduil the more Im convinced that whoever wrote his dialogue has a history of working with the public.
Because of course Thranduil treats everyone this way. Hes got better things to do with his time than *mess* with complete strangers, and hed probably much rather never interact with the people who use his road. But guess what? People probably keep damaging the forest, spying on his people, and wandering off and dying. And hes had to deal with this *crap* for centuries. Centuries of being on call 24/7 to deal with this *crap* because people cant STAY ON THE *BLOODY* ROAD. I think that at this point hes simply transcended having any *hecks* to give, and so rather than take the time to explain himself for the 500th time this Age, hes just resorted to full on mocking Dwalins questioning of his judgement and not giving a *heck* whether Dwalin catches on or not.
Its glorious.

Thanks for posting it here. I agree with the author and I find it and interesting view on how Thranduil would possibly treat any (unwelcome) visitor. Especially the ones who strayed off the path and doing all sorts of forbidden things, like the Dwarves

LOL, gotta love Rocket Cool

In Reply To

LOL 2 at the typical fangirling behaviour picture

In Reply To
Us on a daily basis perhaps? I know it's moiEvil

But, as we all know:

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 11:03pm

Post #87 of 209 (2283 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting article! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Thought this an interesting read, from Mr Martinez: "Did Tolkien Elves Rest their Minds by Thinking of Beautiful Things?"

Bookmarked it, going to read it in the morning. Looks interesting!

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 11:13pm

Post #88 of 209 (2256 views)
Shortcut
     The crown looks like a concept as well [In reply to]  

Very inventive folk those Elves, creating elastic hair bands and everything Shocked

I guess it's safe to say most Thralls are glad for the black/silver armor Thranduil is going to wear instead of this white concept armor. It's purrrrrfect Heart

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 11:30pm

Post #89 of 209 (2278 views)
Shortcut
     Now we're on the armor subject [In reply to]  

Let us all take a moment and appreciate the armor Pretty! that PJ has bestowed upon us.

We never get bored of it, do we?

VValar
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 11:31pm

Post #90 of 209 (2292 views)
Shortcut
     HR Thranduil piccies [In reply to]  

The ones we've seen yesterday but in HR Smile

http://www.theonering.net/...fficial-movie-guide/

VValar
Gondor

Oct 25 2014, 8:06am

Post #91 of 209 (2256 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil reads [In reply to]  

Nothing new to us obsessive Thralls, but still nice to read the author's wit and appreciation of HeartThranduilHeart

The many faces of Thranduil

Regardless, knowing more about Thranduil has me, at least, hoping that this Elf-lord will finally get some well-deserved attention.

And:

Four reasons Thranduil is smarter than your average elf

(This post was edited by VValar on Oct 25 2014, 8:07am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 8:30am

Post #92 of 209 (2205 views)
Shortcut
     [spoiler] I'd say [In reply to]  

Dale, the same place we saw him in the teaser.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 8:52am

Post #93 of 209 (2247 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art (HTR!) [In reply to]  

How thoughtful-pensive is he?

Our favourite fan artist strikes againHeartHeartHeart

=======

stn5
The Shire

Oct 25 2014, 8:54am

Post #94 of 209 (2230 views)
Shortcut
     Info from Total Film [In reply to]  

Source: http://thorinshielding.tumblr.com/...-and-pics-from-total

THE ORCS ATTACK DALE AND THRANDY IS THERE AND SO IS GANDALF AND GANDALF WANTS TO WARN THORIN BUT THRANDY SAYS NO, THEN BILBO WANTS TO GO TO WARN THEM BUT GANDALF SAYS I WONT ALLOW IT AND BILBO SAYS IM NOT ASKING YOU TO ALLOW IT. THOSE ARE MY FRIENDS OUT THERE. IM GOING.

-------------------------

Is PJ try to make Thranduil the bad guy again......MadMad

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 9:01am

Post #95 of 209 (2230 views)
Shortcut
     hmm... ... I thought I did mention it but [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Personally when I first saw Bard's scene in DOS I loved the importance and impact of the moment. I can understand why PJ decided to not mess with it in the EE. That being said, I'm guessing he probably shot the deleted scene first. I just wish he could've given Thranduil perhaps a couple of other lines (that would still be of great relevance to the story), that way he might not have deleted the scene all together.

Agree about Bard's scene. What I was positing was IF indeed PJ wanted to show this moment, and if indeed there was no way to do callbacks and reshoot the scene with new dialogue, then what I described might be a way to still work it in. But well, it's all moot really.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 9:03am

Post #96 of 209 (2269 views)
Shortcut
     [potential BotFA spoiler] PH quote about Thranduil/LP and thoughts [In reply to]  

Source not mentioned on the tumblr post where this is from. Though it seems to indicate there's character-arc and development for Thranduil? A sort of redemptive plotline? Though, as mentioned to VValar in another conversation, I have trust issues now, and will believe it when I see it.Frown

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 9:08am

Post #97 of 209 (2214 views)
Shortcut
     Oh... yeah... [In reply to]  

this is one of those bits of info which makes me doubt the message we seem to be getting from this. The premise is promising, and I really do prefer my Elves grey Angelic than straightup black and white. But PJ has demonstrated he has the capacity to go LITERAL so that's the unknown factor in what we'll get. Unimpressed I guess we really will have to just wait and see.Crazy

But let's count to 10 and try not to fret too much.Smile

=======

mariel
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 1:05pm

Post #98 of 209 (2201 views)
Shortcut
     Frustratingly [In reply to]  

I can never access this site to read the articles. I've tried different servers = Safari, Chrome, Mozilla and IE, but no go [I'm in the UK - don't know whether it is blocked from here, or something to do with my internet connection]Frown

mariel
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 1:09pm

Post #99 of 209 (2190 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks [In reply to]  

Good find. She's done us proud again. This is a lovely image.Heart
I don't recognise the source image though - wonder where she found it

mariel
Lorien

Oct 25 2014, 1:11pm

Post #100 of 209 (2200 views)
Shortcut
     Drat [In reply to]  

They got taken down before I got to them Mad

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.