The Battle's Climax - SPOILER
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 11:53am

Post #1 of 43 (1914 views)
Shortcut
The Battle's Climax - SPOILER Can't Post

This came up in other threads and I thought we could discuss it separately.

Personally I believe that the tragic climax of the Battle of the Five Armies and the climax of Thorin's character arc will only work 100% if he does not get some hero-scene in the end in which he kills Azog - and basically succeeds in revanging his people and grandfather.

The only hero-moment Thorin should have at this point is his recognition of Bilbo's character and world-view. On his death-bed. That is also much more in line and a nice nod back to gandalf's speech on the deeds of every-day folk. It would build a terrific arc.

(Gandalf/Bilbo Sting Scene- Galariel/Gandalf Scene - Bilbo/Gollum Scene - Thorin's Death Bed Scene - Gandalf/Frodo in Moria Scene - Gollum's Death Scene)

After he was mortally wounded (by either Azog or Bolg) and having failed to kill either of them - with Kili and Fili having died defending their wounded uncle, all that is left for Thorin is to accept what has happened partially because of his own greed and pride. He aknowledges it and dies at peace with Bilbo.

No big redemption, no 180° character turn.

A nice side-effect would be that the killing/dying ratio of the book could be restored: Dain killing Azog, Beorn killing Bolg.

Having Thorin killing Azog in an outburst of fury because he sees his nephews being killed... ugh, would that be horribly clishéed, lame and lazy.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 24 2014, 11:55am)

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 12:11pm

Post #2 of 43 (1007 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf Kings together [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer if Thorin and Dain together make an end to Azog, and Thorin is mortally wounded in the process.

At this point I do not see any way for it to be just Dain vs Azog, and it would feel unsatisfying now after all that build up between the two.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 12:14pm

Post #3 of 43 (979 views)
Shortcut
There can be a climax between the two. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Thorin can also wound him so Dain can finish him more easily... but in the direct duel between Azog and Thorin, the latter should lose imho.

Would also give Dain some weight as he becomes king later despite the fact that we do not know much about him.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 12:17pm

Post #4 of 43 (947 views)
Shortcut
I'm still wondering... [In reply to] Can't Post

If at some point Thorin comes to the aid of Bilbo, and it is this act which ultimately ends up dooming him. It's quite obvious Bilbo will have a larger role in this battle, even if he is on the Ravenhill, away from the most intense fighting.

But I think it should be that Thorin lies mortally wounded and is about to be finished off by Azog or Bolg (depending on who dies earlier) when Beorn arrives and completely turns the battle, killing the enemy commander and leading to a rally from the remaining Dwarves, Elves and Men. I suspect he will do this in one go and then, once the enemy is in flight and the battle all but won, he'll carry Thorin's broken body from the field. I'm now wondering if they'll have him do this in man form...I'm almost tearing up just thinking of that image. Unsure

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 43 (972 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I'm expecting Thorin to down Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Personally I believe that the tragic climax of...Thorin's...arc will only work...if he does not get some hero-scene...in which he kills Azog.

Having Thorin killing Azog in an outburst of fury because he sees his nephews being killed... ugh, would that be horribly clishéed, lame and lazy.

I'm not so hopeful, Arannir...but neither am I especially worried.

I think it's just a matter of fact that mainstream blockbusters like to give their protagonists some sort of closure, some sort of achievement. Having Thorin die without having achieved anything at all (in fact, quite the contrary, having destroyed everything) would be an unusually bleak climax for a popcorn movie.

Personally, I'm expecting something more along the lines of Thorin kills Azog (closure!), Bolg kills Thorin (tragedy!), Dain kills Bolg (justice!)...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 12:20pm

Post #6 of 43 (933 views)
Shortcut
I hope you are wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or that if they do it this way that it will somehow work for me.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 12:30pm

Post #7 of 43 (909 views)
Shortcut
This is exactly how I think it should be done, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd personally rather have Dain fight and kill Azog himself in order to restore the canon, but since they've already gone and set up Thorin to be Azog's nemesis, they need to involve him in Azog's eventual fate somehow.

Thorin should get first crack at Azog, and get whooped. Before Azog finishes him off, Dain comes to the rescue and the two dwarf-lords face him together. Azog and Thorin both deal each other a mortal blow, and then Dain finishes Azog off.

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 12:32pm

Post #8 of 43 (907 views)
Shortcut
I'd love a showdown between Bolg and Beorn in man-form first, wielding his giant axe. [In reply to] Can't Post

I picture Bolg getting the upper hand after a close duel, and knocking Beorn over a ledge. As Bolg goes to inspect, Beorn leaps back up in bear-form and knocks his head off with one blow.

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 24 2014, 12:46pm

Post #9 of 43 (866 views)
Shortcut
fit of anger [In reply to] Can't Post

beorn battles bolg man to man in man form then further down the line after getting bashed a few times and bolg making him angry he turns into a bear and rips bolg apart like the incredible hulk did to loki in avengers just in a more serious manner. the OP is onto something and in terms of good storytelling esp in this instance is spot on, thorin shudnt get the honour of killing azog as this battle is not about revenge, its about transformation for and of the greater good which imho lies within us and in this case within thorin, the battle and the losses will purify them all

"You must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!" - Gandalf

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 12:58pm

Post #10 of 43 (887 views)
Shortcut
Popcorn Movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see Jackson doing this. Will he? We shall find out in December. As far as these movies being popcorn movies I as a fan of these movies sort of find that term insulting. Pirate

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 24 2014, 1:12pm

Post #11 of 43 (851 views)
Shortcut
Insulting? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As far as these movies being popcorn movies I...sort of find that term insulting

Why?

These films are popcorn movies in every sense of the term. Eye-wateringly expensive, tentpole, event movies that have to attract millions of casual movie-goers in order to justify their expense.

And popcorn movies don't have to be "bad"; just look at the first Pirates movie, or Avengers, or Guardians of the Galaxy or any number of other quality, mass-appeal movies.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 1:14pm

Post #12 of 43 (856 views)
Shortcut
Beornzz TRANSFORMATION needs to seen.. [In reply to] Can't Post

we got a quiet littl' glimpse?
.. of his Transformation in the current flim

WHY NOT? show the Man to Bear moment this time?

Sorta OF a
Stashed AWAY
surprize

PJ often has,, OFTEN
many LONG SLEEVES
kept quiet

with surprizzzes hidden up to hiz
ELBOWS!

A "Movie Magician"
needs to SURPRIZE
or go home?

way COOL in BROAD DayLight?

Bring Beornnn..on !

THEN...GETz even LARGER
as he getz wounded?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2014, 1:20pm

Post #13 of 43 (868 views)
Shortcut
I don't see much of an issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always thought that the only vital point about timing in the book is that Thorin realises too late that his greed has destroyed himself and his nephews. The orc (whether Bolg or Azog) was never the real villain.

If Thorin is mortally wounded and the boys are dead, then it is still "too late" for any happy or victorious ending for Thorin. Killing Azog doesn't solve anything, turn the tide of battle or produce a happy ending.

I also don't see any requirement for Dain to kill an orc to be seen as king. Apologies for repeating a point I have made previously, but it is greed which Dain overcomes (where Thorin could not) and it is that which makes him a worthy ruler. Being able to kill big orcs is no more the right qualifaction for Dain to be king than it was for Theoden or Aragorn.

Or at least that's how I read it!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:29pm

Post #14 of 43 (782 views)
Shortcut
That is how different one can see such things :) [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it is vital that Thorin does not kill Azog.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:48pm

Post #15 of 43 (761 views)
Shortcut
When I think of popcorn movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of things like The Expendables films. Films that are fun but don't have much depth.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:49pm

Post #16 of 43 (752 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

is going to be fun to watch. Cool

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 24 2014, 5:11pm

Post #17 of 43 (698 views)
Shortcut
I think it's the chance to end it in an almost Shakespearean way (BOOK SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the chance to end the whole Middle-earth Saga with a big and emotional blast and the time to proof that these movies are not like the current blockbuster flood with all it's all powerful, invincible and successful heroes. It's not about CGI it's about characters and story. And yes at the end of THE HOBBIT the side of good will win the battle, kill the dragon and drive the Necromancer out of Dol Guldur but not without it's casualties.

We know that at least three fan favorite and main characters will die (if Jackson goes after the book): Thorin, Kili and Fili.

The future of two other characters is uncertain. They might die or at least leave Middle-earth as well: Tauriel and Radagast

We will have a tragic love story: Tauriel and Kili

We will have strong character development between two heroes (who already went through a lot) from friends, turning against each other and finally ending up in redemption: Thorin and Bilbo

If we now even have a tragic hero who almost reaches his goal but finally fails on every level... how Shakespearean would that be? When Thorin fails on everything: Saving his nephews, becoming king and killing Azog but his friendship with Bilbo is the redemption he needs... after all the two of them went through? Could anybody imagine a better and more emotional ending of a story called THE HOBBIT? I can't. It would definitely differentiate this trilogy from other modern blockbusters and also from the ending of TLOTR. There's nothing like this in LOTR... perhaps Boromirs death is similar but since he only was a real hero at the end of FOTR it won't have the same impact on the audience like Thorins death. I really hope that Jackson takes this chance!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Oct 24 2014, 5:13pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:33pm

Post #18 of 43 (656 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be a roller coaster as I said in another thread. So many big moments I think that will have such an impact on us as viewers.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Oct 24 2014, 9:46pm

Post #19 of 43 (563 views)
Shortcut
Beorn man form [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt they will show much of Beorn fighting in man form, though I'd love that.

I think he will arrive already in a state of extreme aggravation and be in battle mode.

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 25 2014, 12:18am

Post #20 of 43 (521 views)
Shortcut
Shakespeare and Jackson's "Hobbit" shouldn't appear the same sentence, I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it's the chance to end it in an almost Shakespearean way...It's...the time to proof that these movies are not like the current blockbuster flood...It's not about CGI it's about characters and story.

There will be nothing Shakespearean about the climax of these movies. Nothing. We are getting completely carried away with ourselves if we think this trilogy deserves even the most remote comparison.

Remember, these are the films in which elves balance one-footed on the head of an agitated dwarf whilst he struggles to remain upright in a barrel hurtling down a white-water rapid. These are the films in which a dwarf can teeter on the snout of a gargantuan fire-breathing reptile and escape entirely, completely unscathed. I'm sorry, LDG, but on far too many occasions these films are about CGI, over and over and over again.

You're right in that these films "are not like the current blockbuster flood". They have neither the wit of the Marvel franchise nor the discipline of the Hunger Games but what we can hope for is a climax that eschews the usual Hollywood heroics and instead presents audiences with a far more challenging denouement. That, I'm looking forward to...

And for that, we have a certain Professor to thank...

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 4:11am

Post #21 of 43 (472 views)
Shortcut
Agree with you...// [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 4:16am

Post #22 of 43 (473 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call "popcorn-movie" one that [In reply to] Can't Post

provides you with such beautiful and inspired lines as the ones you made into your own footer. Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2014, 4:19am

Post #23 of 43 (476 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't use this term for them either. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 4:20am

Post #24 of 43 (479 views)
Shortcut
You know what they say [In reply to] Can't Post

Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one. Something to keep in mind when stating ones opinion in a manner that reads more like fact than opinion.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 4:22am

Post #25 of 43 (475 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course that definition may fluid for some but for a few of us they're not that at least.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.