Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:15am

Post #51 of 209 (1751 views)
Shortcut
     BTS White Armour images (con't) - more fan art [In reply to]  

Continuing from this subthread.

Another GiF set

And looks like fan artists are really inspired by this armour, eh, fellow-Thralls?

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 4:17am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:28am

Post #52 of 209 (1752 views)
Shortcut
     BTS - that antler crown + fan creations (con't) [In reply to]  

From here.

GiF!

Large-res!

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 4:29am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:32am

Post #53 of 209 (1742 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art: looking like a royal portrait work-in-progress [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:38am

Post #54 of 209 (1727 views)
Shortcut
     BTS - orc interrogation scene [In reply to]  

Large-res! (uh... in case you're not sure, this is how to get at the large-res. I need to retract my assumption about it not mattering on tumblr... this particular image set DID require the process I listed out to get at the bigger image versions Crazy Apologies to mariel for any confusion caused)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 4:58am

Post #55 of 209 (1758 views)
Shortcut
     BTS - wardrobe and wardrobe issues [In reply to]  

Con't from the proof of Thranduil's graceful trips up the stairs to his throne

GIFs

=======

stn5
The Shire

Oct 24 2014, 5:09am

Post #56 of 209 (1762 views)
Shortcut
     Battle Map [In reply to]  

Source : http://insidemovies.ew.com/...-of-the-five-armies/

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:10am

Post #57 of 209 (1755 views)
Shortcut
     More GIFs and stills [In reply to]  

Giffy

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:12am

Post #58 of 209 (1738 views)
Shortcut
     another set of stills [In reply to]  

Large-res

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:16am

Post #59 of 209 (1732 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks, stn5! And 1 suggestion about posting... if you don't mind [In reply to]  

You might want to click on the "Reply To This Post" link on the first post in the thread if you're posting new stuff instead of the post you're currently looking at, because that causes your post to become a response to that latest post, and can get lost in the threaded mode view. Just a thought for your reference.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:22am

Post #60 of 209 (1721 views)
Shortcut
     GIFs of Thranduil on and around the throne [In reply to]  

HTR! be sure you're sitting down and safe from falls before you click through to this set, DANGEROUS stuff... especially the GIF on the left. Oh, and DON'T blink or you'll miss it

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:29am

Post #61 of 209 (1747 views)
Shortcut
     3 more GiF sets... but severe warning re stay away if you want image of Thranduil the forever elegant beauty intact [In reply to]  

... from the last thread. Get out while you can. For the rest, some good-res GiFs, with subs tooSmile

... alert...

... last alert before I post the images...

well, here we go!

alert end...

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 5:30am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:41am

Post #62 of 209 (1760 views)
Shortcut
     Various GIFs of wardrobe, including cloak throwndowns [In reply to]  

"He’s got an extensive wardrobe. I just imagine Thranduil, at any given moment say "Ah okay, I’m meeting the dwarves… what do you think I should wear? Do you think I should wear the silver caftan? Or the gold flowing robe? The crown? No crown? A sash? Perhaps the slingbacks…" - Graham McTavish

Stills

I want to grow up to be Thranduil's gown-holderHeartLaugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 5:55am

Post #63 of 209 (1751 views)
Shortcut
     The first deleted scene: More images/GIFs, and thoughts [In reply to]  

(continued from here)
GIFs

Images

Thoughts: I like what this tumblr says about Thranduil's attitude in this scene. Mild language warning - I'm quoting here with edits

The more I see of Thranduil the more I’m convinced that whoever wrote his dialogue has a history of working with the public.
Because of course Thranduil treats everyone this way. He’s got better things to do with his time than *mess* with complete strangers, and he’d probably much rather never interact with the people who use his road. But guess what? People probably keep damaging the forest, spying on his people, and wandering off and dying. And he’s had to deal with this *crap* for centuries. Centuries of being on call 24/7 to deal with this *crap* because people can’t STAY ON THE *BLOODY* ROAD. I think that at this point he’s simply transcended having any *hecks* to give, and so rather than take the time to explain himself for the 500th time this Age, he’s just resorted to full on mocking Dwalin’s questioning of his judgement and not giving a *heck* whether Dwalin catches on or not.
It’s glorious.

Heart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 6:00am

Post #64 of 209 (1748 views)
Shortcut
     DOS EE random snerkles [In reply to]  

crossovers

TBH, can't blame Thranduil for feeling so bummed at the endless "connexions"

Us on a daily basis perhaps? I know it's moiEvil
ETA: for continuityLaugh

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 6:06am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 6:04am

Post #65 of 209 (1762 views)
Shortcut
     BTS other stuff - appreciation for mirkwood elves and LOL on other random characters =P [In reply to]  

Appreciation of Thranduil's people

Random assorted others
Benedict C being Smaug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I63cgCkRyR8
Dwarves be-webbed http://areyousuretonightsadangernight.tumblr.com/...youre-touching-there
Disagreeable Dwarf's real story in Bree http://pizzashere.tumblr.com/...topped-in-bree-again
Disagree Dwarf venting dragon sickness on Bilbo http://seadeepspaceontheside.tumblr.com/...-sickness-is-showing
BC/MF Sgherlock crossover http://ashleymorgenbeegirlporter.tumblr.com/post/100564638358
Bilbo LoL GIF http://notmydate.tumblr.com/...rt-of-drunken-absent
Vid: Aggravation of Smaug https://www.youtube.com/...?v=sKFsyC3gzC8#t=261
Uber OT--- Frodo http://zenospring.tumblr.com/post/93970754085

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 6:10am

Post #66 of 209 (1748 views)
Shortcut
     A DoS EE disappointment comment on tumblr [spoilerish] [In reply to]  

came across this tumblr. Has spoilers I guess, so read at your own risk. Though, reading it, makes me feel really GAH over the decisions PJ made!MadFrown

=======

mariel
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 12:33pm

Post #67 of 209 (1718 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm [In reply to]  

The white armour isn't really doing it for me. It looks as though this is an early costume concept which personally speaking I'm glad they didn't continue with. However, it does now make sense of the description of Thranddy in the DOS Official Movie Guide where it describes his first appearance in the film's prologue as "clad in white leather armour and riding a huge white elk" when clearly in the actual film he wasn't (and the author wasn't colour blind!). IMO he looks much better in darker clothing

And re the antler crown
While I think it looks really good from the front it appears to be being held in place with a piece of elastic round the back of his head like a party hat, which spoils the mood for me somewhat Laugh

mariel
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 12:36pm

Post #68 of 209 (1702 views)
Shortcut
     Ha ha [In reply to]  

I see you've snuck it in again - you know which one I meanLaugh

mariel
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 12:38pm

Post #69 of 209 (1712 views)
Shortcut
     Oh dear [In reply to]  

What was PJ thinking!Frown

mariel
Lorien

Oct 24 2014, 1:09pm

Post #70 of 209 (1694 views)
Shortcut
     Re your "little rant" [In reply to]  

I don't really have anything more to add other than I agree with you, and also I think VValar had some good points in her response as well in the other thread

--------------quote-----------------------
About the (unfortunate) delete scene, it shows Legolas confronting his father with Tauriel's sudden leave and getting the permission to bring her back. Furthermore it shows that he's not just a crazy with love fanboy who runs after his object of affection without his father's consent.
It didn't make sense to me when I saw the Legolas/Tauriel scene in theaters back then, here I thought Legolas was the prince and son of the mighty ruler of Mirkwood and a general (or something similar) of the Mirkwood army, a variety of roles in which he would have to show his intelligence, responsibility, skills and above else, loyalty to his father and King. I just thought it was so weird he would run after Tauriel like that, without his decision elaborated any further.

---------------------------------------------

I think PJ's generosity with all the extras of behind the scenes stuff etc is something of a double edged sword. We all know scenes are cut from all films, but we don't usually see what is left on the cutting room floor. In this case, however, we do see a couple of scenes that were abandoned which, for me, would have enhanced the film considerably - this one and the confrontation with the dwarves when they are first brought before Thranduil. Yes, I know this film isn't primarily about the Elves, but about Bilbo and the Dwarves, but the writers chose to include Legolas and Tauriel in the story and the inclusion of this scene would IMO have added greatly to explaining the relationship dynamics without adding much to the running time of the film - the clip is only 34 seconds. Personally I would rather this had been included and some of the comic strip elements left out [Thorin riding on Smaug's snout, Legolas jumping about on Dwarves' heads!]
Still, no use crying over spilt milk. We have what we have and can't change anything. Just have to hope BotFA makes up for it.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:24pm

Post #71 of 209 (1701 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah [In reply to]  

In Reply To
The white armour isn't really doing it for me. It looks as though this is an early costume concept which personally speaking I'm glad they didn't continue with. However, it does now make sense of the description of Thranddy in the DOS Official Movie Guide where it describes his first appearance in the film's prologue as "clad in white leather armour and riding a huge white elk" when clearly in the actual film he wasn't (and the author wasn't colour blind!). IMO he looks much better in darker clothing

You know, I've been wondering about why thud-worthy as he is, I'm not getting the feels. I think i got an answer: Just looking at the image in isolation, he looks beautiful as ever. But for whatever reason, for me, the vibe is too earthy, earthy as in plain old third-rock-from-the-sun Earth. Maybe it's the combination of his pale skin, perfect profile, pale hair, that crown and the lightness of his outfit giving the alabaster!vibe. He's too much like a flawless marble sculpture by some Greek artist of yore, rather than an ethereal being of great power and nobility in a different world. And yes... confession: the whole effect is a bit Emperor's New Clothes for me too.

You know, I had forgotten about that movie guide description! And boy did we get a better deal in the endAngelicHeart Though, it's cool the fan artists are drawing inspiration.

In Reply To
And re the antler crown
While I think it looks really good from the front it appears to be being held in place with a piece of elastic round the back of his head like a party hat, which spoils the mood for me somewhat Laugh

LoL... yeah. So do you feel better affinity for the twiggy crowns now?Smile tbh, I like the concept of them seasonal crowns with their design and the "seamless" look, and the organic look of the twigs, plus it's right out of the book. Unique and a twist on the run-of-mill tiaras and crowns HeartHeart And the height they add to Thranduil's already imposing frame! Delish!Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:25pm

Post #72 of 209 (1697 views)
Shortcut
     heheh [In reply to]  

you know I've gotta.AngelicSly

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:31pm

Post #73 of 209 (1700 views)
Shortcut
     Right you are! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I think PJ's generosity with all the extras of behind the scenes stuff etc is something of a double edged sword. We all know scenes are cut from all films, but we don't usually see what is left on the cutting room floor. In this case, however, we do see a couple of scenes that were abandoned which, for me, would have enhanced the film considerably - this one and the confrontation with the dwarves when they are first brought before Thranduil. Yes, I know this film isn't primarily about the Elves, but about Bilbo and the Dwarves, but the writers chose to include Legolas and Tauriel in the story and the inclusion of this scene would IMO have added greatly to explaining the relationship dynamics without adding much to the running time of the film - the clip is only 34 seconds. Personally I would rather this had been included and some of the comic strip elements left out [Thorin riding on Smaug's snout, Legolas jumping about on Dwarves' heads!]
Still, no use crying over spilt milk. We have what we have and can't change anything. Just have to hope BotFA makes up for it.

As you said, we don't usually get to see what's left on the reams of film. As far as I can recall, I don't think we've seen
scenes that are work-in-progress to this degree - as in there's already background music, for one thing. So they're more evolved than simple B-rolls. I think PJ's generosity might have to do with wanting to make up somewhat for leaving those scenes out, which are good scenes that, imo, he also knows have more brownie-points on the "keep" ledger than the "cut" ledger.

And bold part is totally me agrees!

And yes, moving on... BotFA here we come!

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 24 2014, 2:32pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:38pm

Post #74 of 209 (1680 views)
Shortcut
     Addendun: Found the art on deviantart [In reply to]  

quite by accident. Here is the link. There's some nice-looking drawings right there too.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 24 2014, 2:42pm

Post #75 of 209 (1737 views)
Shortcut
     Article: Did Tolkien Elves Rest their Minds by Thinking of Beautiful Things? [In reply to]  

Thought this an interesting read, from Mr Martinez: "Did Tolkien Elves Rest their Minds by Thinking of Beautiful Things?"

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.