Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Will you be disappointed if you don't cry at the end of BOTFA?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Will you be disappointed if you don't cry at the end of BOTFA?
Yes
No
Why would I cry?
View Results (47 votes)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 1:28am

Post #26 of 41 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Me too Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Really, really disappointed. I always cry when I read the books.

Imagine:
What does it take to make the tears flow? Could your discomfiture be explained to a non-Tolkienophile?

Imagine:
A gentle wind catches the sails of the White Ship carrying Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel, et al forth from the firth. And Samwise & Co. sees the Ship shrink slowly down the firth into the West, until a last white glint shimmers forth from the Ring of Adamant.

Imagine:
As we watch our heroes disappear into the West; would we not have a lingering moment of sorrow, of tears? But would these tears be tears of sadness or tears of joy? Tears of joy for the friends with which we have traveled so far but are now on their way to the blessedness of Valinor, or tears of sorrow that we will we will see them no more.

Imagine:
Getting caught with watery eyes by one of the uninitiated. Making an effort to explain your sorrow or your joy would be hopeless. “Hey, it’s only a fairy tale”.
Any attempt to explain how many magnitudes beyond “fairy tale” this enormous masterpiece is would likely be in vain. I have never been able to express the proper words without getting the rolling-of-the-eyes from the non-reader.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 3:43am

Post #27 of 41 (1402 views)
Shortcut
That's a bit mean [In reply to] Can't Post

I am what you would call a 'non-reader', but I promise I would never roll my eyes at you, or for that matter anyone who is having a heartfelt and deep response to something that moves them.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 1:46pm

Post #28 of 41 (1382 views)
Shortcut
No meanness intended Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

By non-reader I meant someone who was unfamiliar with Tolkien (books or movies).
I have in the past attempted to explain my fervor for Tolkien and got that “this-guy’s-a-loon look”. Anymore I just tell them to get The Hobbit, while explaining (as best I can) that The Hobbit was written for children while LOTR was written for adults.

But there are many who will never lower themselves to enter the world of fantasy.

But, yes, you are correct – most people (Starling for one) are sensitive enough NOT to “roll their eyes” at someone who is clearly affected, tears or no, by a piece of literature or movie.

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 17 2014, 9:25pm

Post #29 of 41 (1364 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be disappointed if I didn't, but it seems the older I get the more easily I cry at movies, so I probably will cry anyway. I even cried at Balin's reaction to entering Erebor.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 2:29pm

Post #30 of 41 (1364 views)
Shortcut
I don't expect to cry [In reply to] Can't Post

For a couple of reasons, I don't really like anyone seeing me cry (or seeing me upset) and I'll be seeing it with Mr Kel, our 3 sons and my middle sons 4 closest friends. All who would give me stick for girlishly crying.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2014, 3:48pm

Post #31 of 41 (1351 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, what she said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2014, 5:13pm

Post #32 of 41 (1346 views)
Shortcut
The only thing that makes me want to cry [In reply to] Can't Post

is how little i care about these Hobbit films. Saw DoS in the theater once. Skipped the TE blu-ray entirely. I suppose i'll pick up the EE eventually, but i'm not all that excited about it. And i guess i pretty much have to see BotFA, but i'm not really excited about that either.

Last night i was playing Lego Lord of the Rings, and just hearing that music and seeing those locations, even in Lego form, is more involving to me than seeing any of the Hobbit films.

I really do hope BotFA changes all that.

sador
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 5:26pm

Post #33 of 41 (1352 views)
Shortcut
So perhaps tears of rage? Or relief that it's over? // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by sador on Oct 18 2014, 5:27pm)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 4:10pm

Post #34 of 41 (1355 views)
Shortcut
my fear is I won't care either way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even sure I'll see it in the theater. I have to see it eventually, but if I wait to rent it I can fast-forward when it bogs down (i.e., isn't focused on the tale of Bilbo Baggins's great adventure).

sherlock
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 4:44pm

Post #35 of 41 (1312 views)
Shortcut
I think the [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin/Bilbo part will be touching. I was very surprised to choke up on the Aragorn/Arwen part in FOTR but I think it was Howard Shore's music that got me in that scene.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 9:42pm

Post #36 of 41 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

That is really strange if you ask me.I remember specifically a critique of yours stating how much you loved AUJ and how much you found the story so compelling that drew you in instantly and... unexpectedly.

Maybe i do not remember correctly but going from love to disappointment is a pretty huge distance to cover.Don't you think?Wink

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2014, 12:56am

Post #37 of 41 (1300 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same way! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I have a lot of faith that PJ and Co. will not disappoint me. They managed it in RotK (I still always cry during that ending) and also in King Kong (same directing and writing team).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 26 2014, 4:27pm

Post #38 of 41 (1293 views)
Shortcut
I just want to survive it! *hangs onto blankie* // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2014, 11:01pm

Post #39 of 41 (1263 views)
Shortcut
I think it should end on a sad note [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Kili and Fili are gone (fresh in his mind) and so much death to witness for Bilbo who has been changed forever because of his adventure. Balin coming to visit him (that will be sad knowing what happens to him). I think it's sad, anyway.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2014, 11:09pm

Post #40 of 41 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Not cry, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Will I be dissapointed if I am not emotionally wrecked at the end? Yes. If I would leave the theatre and think "well, that was it, okay then" it would be a letdown. There are certain moments that should evoke these emotions if handled right, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the case. I don't want to feel like I felt when leaving DOS feeling terribly let down, I felt miserable then.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 10 2014, 7:59pm

Post #41 of 41 (1254 views)
Shortcut
agree // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.