Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What if Grima wasnt killed on top of Orthanc?

boldog
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 9:36am

Post #1 of 6 (1356 views)
Shortcut
What if Grima wasnt killed on top of Orthanc? Can't Post

And came down as Theoden bidded?
Would he have a huge change of heart? Would he express sorrow for the deaths at helms deep? Would he do heroic deeds? Will he betray rohan again? Would he die doing good/bad? Could he win Eowyns heart?

All these questions always come to mind when I think of "If" he came down to Theoden

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 23 2014, 3:21pm

Post #2 of 6 (1110 views)
Shortcut
My guess, based on Theoden's nobility, [In reply to] Can't Post

is that he would have granted Grima a horse, a small plot of land, pardon, and advice to keep to himself. Grima's one and only shot at power was by aiding Saruman, so he'd have to be crazy to try anything else.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 6:56pm

Post #3 of 6 (1071 views)
Shortcut
I woud watch a Grima Wormtongue spin-off movie. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Oct 27 2014, 9:09pm

Post #4 of 6 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Theoden may forgive him but I don't think anyone else would. The man would be despised...

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 2 2014, 7:10pm

Post #5 of 6 (929 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I suspect that though he might have initially felt bad about his part in the wickedness of Saurumon, I doubt his remorse would have been truly genuine.

I think that he would have bided his time, not satisfied with his horse and plot of land and the king's pardon and would have been up to some trick to bid for power again. And then Theoden (or later Eomer) would have been forced to execute him.

Just my own suspicions.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 2 2014, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 6 (1014 views)
Shortcut
I also concur. [In reply to] Can't Post

He might have been a pitiful creature, but one that only inspired loathing and hatred in Rohan. If we are talking the films here, I would say that he might well have found a new purpose elsewhere. Perhaps repairing, in some small way, the evils he had a hand in inflicting upon the world. A caretaker of Treegarth? (erstwhile Isengard). Redemption is a huge part of the Tolkien mythos, and I like to think that he could have found a quiet place to rehabilitate. Perhaps not forgiven or restored, but able to live on in peace.

Of course, the books have their own answers, but further discussion of that might be best suited to the Reading Room.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.