Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Colours of the EEs/Soundtracks (Me being a boring nerd)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 1:55am

Post #1 of 29 (867 views)
Shortcut
The Colours of the EEs/Soundtracks (Me being a boring nerd) Can't Post

AUJ - Orange
DoS - Spring-Green
BFA - Violet

If you're like me you'll be wondering where the heck these colours came from! Well I can tell you, I've been thinking about the colours since... to be honest, since the release of The Two Towers Extended Edition - When I was hoping The Return of the King would be Blue!

You see, The Lord of the Rings makes up the primary colours of the light spectrum: Green, Red and Blue. In theory, with different combinations of these three colours one can produce any colour perceivable by the human eye. If you're unfamiliar with this concept, here's a basic colour wheel to get started:

In 2011 many of us were suggesting colours for AUJ (most preferring Grey and Brown) when I remembered this concept and expected The Hobbit to follow the secondary colours shown by the wheel above: Yellow, Cyan and Magenta. But was thrown a bit of a curve-ball when AUJ came out orange!

Since then I've been pondering this decision and examining the colour wheel trying to predict where they'd go next but I couldn't figure their system out, until I saw the soundtrack today! The marketing team have skipped the secondary colours and moved to tertiary. (While red can be mixed with green to produce yellow, red can also be mixed with yellow to produce orange and yellow can be mixed with green to produce chartreuse etc.)

Here's a colour wheel that I made showing the six tertiary colours and where each soundtrack colour lies on the wheel. http://38.media.tumblr.com/...5H1qeueh2o1_1280.png

As you see, each Hobbit soundtrack lies clockwise to a LotR soundtrack. AUJ next to FotR, DoS next to TTT and BFA next to RotK. The interesting thing is it also leaves six colours available for a possible two more trilogies. So if future films happen, we know what colours we can expect Wink

Sorry if this is really uninteresting and boring to everyone but me, but I'm really interested in marketing and this particular subject has baffled and fascinated me for years. I know it's kind of dull, but I personally think it's cool that so much thought goes into these colours, and that they're not just picked at random Smile

Now to work on the issue of why the soundtracks are different colours to the EEs. Any ideas? I know that for LotR they accidentally got the first film wrong and decided to intentionally mess up the rest to keep it consistent Laugh

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 3:47am

Post #2 of 29 (536 views)
Shortcut
Messed up? [In reply to] Can't Post

The colors for the soundtracks and the EE's have always fascinated me too. So, was FOTR EE supposed to not be green? What was the color supposed to be?

What interests me is that for the EE of the Hobbit films they chose not to come out with a design in keeping or similar to the EE's of the previous films. The first three EE's are book-like and I wished they kept with this theme.

However, as for the color wheel and your keen observations, I love it!

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 6:48am

Post #3 of 29 (472 views)
Shortcut
I only just noticed... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ soundtrack is the same brown/orange of the EE. I wonder why they went back to the 'mixed up' colours between EE and soundtrack for DOS. Maybe somebody in WB marketing forgot about the LOTR trend or just thought it wa not logical to keep AUJ colours the same... then changed their mind come DOS. Well at least we know the BOFA EE will be purple :)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 7:45am

Post #4 of 29 (450 views)
Shortcut
There was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a discussian with Doug Adams about this topic. The reason for the FOTR mixup was that there were basically different companies responsible for the films and for the soundtrack. So when the limited FOTR soundtrack was released (red), no color-coding for the films was in existence yet (it was introduced with the theatrical DVDs). Then, the soundtrack producers just decided to use the same color coding as the films' one, but rotated.

As for the Hobbit - I don't suppose they actually have a clue. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 23 2014, 7:57am

Post #5 of 29 (445 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused here..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely the primary colours are red, blue and yellow - the definition of a primary colour being the fact that you can't produce it by combining other colours. If you have no yellow in your paintbox you'll have no yellow in your painting - you can't make it. Red and green combine to make brown - and green, being a combination of blue and yellow, is not and cannot be a primary colour.

I'm very familiar with this concept - I learnt it as a child crayoning rainbows, and years of working with paint tell me it's true. So your diagram and your whole argument leave me wondering if I'm still on the same planet....Crazy

It is fascinating but I don't have any theories about why they've made the choices they have. Except for the EE of Desolation of Smaug. The original soundtrack recording was purple wasn't it, following the brown of AUJ? I reckon they changed to green - I'd call it emerald green, personally, spring green to me has much more yellow in it - anyway, to whatever green when they decided to use the Arkenstone symbol on the packaging. The most suitable colour background for that was the green of Erebor, which they used.

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 8:13am

Post #6 of 29 (433 views)
Shortcut
The original poster is referring to the light spectrum, not the ink/paint spectrum. [In reply to] Can't Post

The two are quite different. When all the colours of light combine they produce white light (as shown in the centre of the colour wheel above).

Technically AUJ should be yellow, though of course that might not look so great and you could consider the orange/brown as just a very dark yellow. ;)

(This post was edited by adt100 on Oct 23 2014, 8:23am)

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 8:24am

Post #7 of 29 (416 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... but didn't the LOTR soundtrack EE's come out about 10 months later, unlike The Hobbit soundtracks? [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 23 2014, 8:27am

Post #8 of 29 (418 views)
Shortcut
Then the original poster should have made that clear.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..because any painter reading 'red and green make yellow' would have thought. 'what????', as I did!

So would anyone who's ever looked at a rainbow..... Wink

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 9:59am

Post #9 of 29 (395 views)
Shortcut
I was expecting it to be yellow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because yellow is a secondary colour. But they've apparently gone for the tertiary colours, so AUJ is orange, Does is spring-green and BFA is violet.

If they were to make another film it will likely be yellow next. Smile

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 10:07am

Post #10 of 29 (396 views)
Shortcut
Ack, I'm sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought I was being clear, but yes, light has a different colour wheel to paint. Lights primary colours are red, green and blue and they mix as shown above.

I don't think yellow would make a very attractive case.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 10:20am

Post #11 of 29 (388 views)
Shortcut
I think FotR was supposed to be green... [In reply to] Can't Post

But they made the soundtrack red through some mistake. So when TTT came out red they intentionally made the soundtrack blue so that none of the colours were right instead of just one being wrong.

Interestingly (and kind of annoyingly) they haven't done that with The Hobbit soundtracks. But I think my colour wheel shows some justification for that, because it's resulted in each film being next to their LotR counterpart - AUJ next to FotR, DoS next to TTT...

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 23 2014, 10:21am)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 10:23am

Post #12 of 29 (390 views)
Shortcut
The Complete Recordings came much later... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the Limited Edition soundtracks were there prior to the films' theatrical release:

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Oct 23 2014, 10:23am)

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 10:27am

Post #13 of 29 (372 views)
Shortcut
No you were correct in your first post :) [In reply to] Can't Post

They've gone for primary and secondary colours. As I say, I wouldn't really call AUJ yellow or orange, but more brown, (which could be translated as a very dark orange/yellow I guess, as yellow is the one colour that wouldn't really work).

adt100
Rohan

Oct 23 2014, 10:32am

Post #14 of 29 (372 views)
Shortcut
Ah right..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that in the USA or UK? I'm in the UK and all I (vaguely) remember is that the standard theatrical sound track with the similar 'poster' artwork came out around the time of the movie release in cinemas. The EE/Complete recordings then came out the following year around the time of the EE DVD's didn't they?

That particular pic of the FOTR case isn't familiar to me.

My point being that with The Hobbit, both the 'standard' and 'extended' soundtracks seem to be released at the same time do they not, as I have the orange/brown auj CD and the purple dos CD.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 11:15am

Post #15 of 29 (367 views)
Shortcut
That was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Limited Edition of the Soundtrack. The Limited Editions were released simultaneously with the regular ones. Plus, on TTT and ROTK there were special "Internet Limited Editions" which were colored differently.

They mostly did not have extra content compared to the regular editions; except for The Two Towers LE (which had 1 extra track; however, 2 of other tracks were abridged compared to regular edition); Return of the King LE had a bonus DVD with some goodies.

Here are the pictures of them:

The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
Return of the King

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2014, 11:59am

Post #16 of 29 (371 views)
Shortcut
You could be my new best friend :D [In reply to] Can't Post

This is amazing. I need to re-read all this so my geek meter can spike again. Plus, I will find some old notes on the colours chosen for the LOTR soundtracks and post them here.

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

werewormses
The Shire

Oct 23 2014, 12:26pm

Post #17 of 29 (351 views)
Shortcut
Amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where can I buy these?

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2014, 1:01pm

Post #18 of 29 (333 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the UK, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I managed to buy theses LEs at the time quite easily through Amazon...just like the Hobbit ones currently.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 1:05pm

Post #19 of 29 (335 views)
Shortcut
Ebay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ebay, or Amazon Marketplace.

As far as I see it, getting TTT or ROTK LE is not that much a problem. FOTR LE looks a bit harder to come by.

Edit: as I just found, there are some Marketplace offers at German Amazon. The product image is misleading, as the customer images signify the right packaging.

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Oct 23 2014, 1:09pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 1:21pm

Post #20 of 29 (330 views)
Shortcut
It seems the limited edition LotR stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

Goes really nicely next to The Hobbit stuff.

Soundtrack: http://cdn.head-fi.org/...ac9a9d_IMG_1510.jpeg

DVD: http://i1069.photobucket.com/...congiusp/hobbit1.jpg

Interesting. Makes me wish I had collected them, now.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 23 2014, 1:40pm

Post #21 of 29 (325 views)
Shortcut
just fyi [In reply to] Can't Post

I collected some info on colors for the LOTR l.e. soundtrack editions on my website. I think the section is called 'CD editions' or something like that. It might save you digging through your notes.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:02pm

Post #22 of 29 (313 views)
Shortcut
Interesting observation!.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Hobbit" US DVD seems to fit in with the Limited Edition DVDs of LOTR.

"The Hobbit" UK DVD seems rather to fit in with the US LOTR SEE editions of LOTR.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 23 2014, 2:13pm

Post #23 of 29 (310 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful site!.. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, I miss the info that both the TTT LE soundtracks in fact had two tracks which were shortened compared to the Standard edition (probably to make room for the bonus track), these being:

05. The Uruk-Hai - cut from 0:17 to 0:27
07. The Black Gate Is Closed - cut from 1:50 to 2:06

micha84
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 2:36pm

Post #24 of 29 (304 views)
Shortcut
magenta... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me nitpick a bit... ;) Am I wrong or does magenta not even exist in the natural spectrum? It goes from red to violet, beyond are infrared and ultraviolet.

So the way I see it, your colour wheel mixes light and paint. violet and red mixed in paint create magenta, but magenta is not part of the natural spectrum of light.

So I think you can only base a color wheel on paint colors (which actually create a circle), because natural light is a continuum that only gets joined to a circle if you "cheat". ;)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 23 2014, 3:06pm

Post #25 of 29 (303 views)
Shortcut
Technically it is not a naturally occurring colour, you're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then how is your monitor producing the magenta light for the diagram?

I'm trying to keep the theory as simple as possible Wink but if you "mix" a blue light and a red light then the result is perceived as magenta. I know it's odd, considering it's not part of the natural spectrum, but it's nothing to do with paint, that's just how our brains work.

I say "mix" in quotation marks because you can't mix photons, so light doesn't technically mix. But if you shine a blue light onto a red light then the photons jumble and our brains see it as magenta. Shine a blue light onto "magenta" and you get violet. Smile It's not cheating.

What your monitor is doing is simply lighting Red and Blue pixels evenly with no green so that they mix and you see the colour - But yes, it's an illusion.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 23 2014, 3:10pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.