Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thrains eye etc. disturbing changes (dos:EE)

thrainseye
The Shire

Oct 22 2014, 12:29pm

Post #1 of 20 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Thrains eye etc. disturbing changes (dos:EE) Can't Post

Supernice forum! been keeping an eye on it but never joined.

Anyone else who think its disturbing how sloppy thrain was made (after Mizrahi to Sheer conversion in the EE)?

Not even the missing eye kept!
Only good thing about it is the fantastic performance by Sheer!

comparasion: https://www.google.se/search?q=thrain&es_sm=91&biw=1706&bih=936&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=SaFHVPqwG8S4ygOQi4HYBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ApnJxo8Bsc_0kM%253A%3BUxrFbjP-dDbQvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg1.wikia.nocookie.net%252F__cb20130709125851%252Flotr%252Fimages%252Fd%252Fd1%252FThrain1.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Flotr.wikia.com%252Fwiki%252FThr%2525C3%2525A1in_II%3B1225%3B781

and then look at him pre dolguldur in DoS EE. sloppy just to let the actor get more cred showing the swapping taking place.

well its a funny thing maybe just like these:https://www.google.se/search?q=dwarves+council+elrond&espv=2&biw=1706&bih=936&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=pqJHVK2vNuLQygOgtoGAAQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=esXO7OvrHL9CfM%253A%3BbBJPNSo1kXiZaM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fmedia.moddb.com%252Fimages%252Fgroups%252F1%252F7%252F6960%252Flotr_gal_velky_2001_12_7_14_52_12.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.moddb.com%252Fgroups%252Fthe-dwarves%252Fimages%252Fdwarves-at-the-council-of-elrond%3B1000%3B659

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 12:41pm

Post #2 of 20 (1171 views)
Shortcut
It [In reply to] Can't Post

could be sloppy like this because its illegal to change actors and imitate the replaced actor's appearance thanks to Back to the Future II.

Though I'm not sure if that would apply here.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2014, 1:00pm

Post #3 of 20 (1114 views)
Shortcut
It can't really be that, [In reply to] Can't Post

as that was an issue of the actors likeness, and not the character itself.

In AUJ Thrain looks almost nothing like Mizrahi, and the likeness is about the character (which PJ & co own the rights to use)

So the issue is still unsolved

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

xxxyyy
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 1:31pm

Post #4 of 20 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Agree. At least keep consistent with the design of the one eye... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sincerely impressed, in a bad way. This could happen to a rookie, not to professional film makers.
Well, they couldn't even match the damn Ian Holm's wig to the FOTR one.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2014, 1:37pm

Post #5 of 20 (1081 views)
Shortcut
Just look at Thrain's design [In reply to] Can't Post

As the Gollum of The Hobbit films. Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2014, 2:34pm

Post #6 of 20 (993 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm [In reply to] Can't Post

His "digital face-lift" even made his face very strange. He looked better in the behind the scenes, before they deaged him digitally...
Elrond and Saruman looks very good on the other hand deaged :)
This makes me wonder why they didn't deage Ian McKellen... was he featured in too many scenes to deage him in every one of them, or was there some legal issue? Who knows?

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 2:37pm

Post #7 of 20 (989 views)
Shortcut
Smaug's design is already the Gollum of The Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

gliido
Bree

Oct 22 2014, 2:38pm

Post #8 of 20 (969 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum's design in FOTR is VERY different than what ended up in the rest of the trilogy. This isn't that big of a deal. Thrain was barely seen in AUJ and most people won't even remember that he was missing an eye.

adt100
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 2:47pm

Post #9 of 20 (951 views)
Shortcut
Really? What's the detail behind this? // [In reply to] Can't Post

PredatoR
Bree

Oct 22 2014, 2:51pm

Post #10 of 20 (940 views)
Shortcut
! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gollum's design in FOTR is VERY different than what ended up in the rest of the trilogy. This isn't that big of a deal. Thrain was barely seen in AUJ and most people won't even remember that he was missing an eye.

Thrain fans wont forget that bug! :)

Honestly, it really disturbed me. Wasnt PJ willing to change some scenes from lotr on finding the ring just for the continuity?

adt100
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 2:53pm

Post #11 of 20 (934 views)
Shortcut
I don't really think they needed to make Gandalf appear younger in The Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

With make-up and hairm McKellen's Gandalf looks similarly aged in the hobbit as he does in LOTR, but in the life of a wizard then it's not really an issue. With Lee and Holm, they have aged more visibly in the past 10-15 years and are less able to be concealed by their hair and make-up.

Danielos
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 2:55pm

Post #12 of 20 (931 views)
Shortcut
He was deaged [In reply to] Can't Post

They deaged Gandalf by giving him more black in hair and beard.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2014, 3:11pm

Post #13 of 20 (919 views)
Shortcut
WELL this iz Interestin' since WHEN? [In reply to] Can't Post

do?..WE have such REALLY "THIN-Skinned" Critics

Honestly...Should there be a SUB-Group
Called "NITPICKERzz Anonymous"

"IT...REALLY UPSET me?..when the
MOLE on one guys face
Moved..?"

..."The color on Kili's Collar
doesn't look right in this ONE shot..
TOOK ME & my girlfriend RIGHT OUT of the Movie..?"

"I almost WALKed out when..."

BY Balin's Beard...

HONESTLY
whatzz the BIG DEAL?
.. that the ENTIRE TORn.
.Network
Needz to know..

that YOU find This? or.. That?, or?... Another thingie..
Inconsistent?

"INCONCEIVABLE.." to quote
"Princess Bride"...

OKAY? WELL..did you like ANY of the REST of the Movie
or are you here jus' to Complain?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 3:41pm

Post #14 of 20 (883 views)
Shortcut
Yes odd really but [In reply to] Can't Post

One assumes there must be a reason. Perhaps Sher didn't get on with eye patch make up or it lessened the performance somehow. Mind you, given that the two actors don't look particularly alike anyway I suppose it doesn't make all that much difference in practice.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 4:05pm

Post #15 of 20 (850 views)
Shortcut
Did they forget to credit Sher in the end credits as well? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 4:23pm

Post #16 of 20 (837 views)
Shortcut
Sher [In reply to] Can't Post

is in the credits.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 4:30pm

Post #17 of 20 (860 views)
Shortcut
I was actually relatively pleased... [In reply to] Can't Post

His appearance in the flashback scenes was quite close to how he appeared in AUJ. The eye was different, but otherwise I felt they got the appearance right.

Not nearly as jarring as I feared, and I highly doubt most viewers will notice a difference at all.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 4:47pm

Post #18 of 20 (812 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking at the acting credits now but I can't see his name [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

thrainseye
The Shire

Oct 22 2014, 6:51pm

Post #19 of 20 (755 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

well i really like everything including the cgi, but the whole thrain deal is beyond my comprehension with the budget. just a echo of this society worshipping actors not the movie magic. to me its just as smaug was turned green in the ee.

well its nice with flaws like bigatures you can see are models and extreme colour grading cgi etc. Just wondered if this wasnt something everybody was bothered with since its claimed they pay such attention to details in tha movies.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 8:03pm

Post #20 of 20 (713 views)
Shortcut
Antony Sher is in the main cast credits [In reply to] Can't Post

He is there, after James Nesbitt and before 'and Orlando Bloom as Legolas'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.