Happy Birthday Aragorn!

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2008, 8:54am

Post #1 of 21 (13589 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Aragorn! Can't Post

Dear People Who Run TORn's Front Page,

To my uttermost distress, while you always acknowledge Frodo's and Bilbo's birthday, you never acknowledge the third Tolkien character that was given a birth date! *sniff* Frown This is to remedy the poor Ranger's hurt feelings.

I wrote this a few years ago, back when I actually had free time to kill. I have posted this up on this forum before (a couple years ago), but I have edited a lot of the links to have more artwork and representations of the places/characters in the piece below. However, by the time I get to the poem at the bottom, Google Image search failed me and it was all movie!Aragorn, so feel free to disregard those if you're looking for non-movie images...

Images are various interpretations of characters and places from LOTR, including but not limited to PJ's LOTR films, LOTR Online, fan films, professional Tolkien fan art, and Tolkien fan art found on DeviantArt (some movie-based, some book-based). There's even more than that, but those are the basics. Those images belong to those people, yada yada legal stuff yada yada end disclaimer. I'd like to thank Google for being so helpful.

First image is a drawing I did a year ago, but otherwise, all ganked from other places. Read disclaimer XD

Aragorn is one of the few Tolkien characters to be actually granted a date of birth and not just a year. He was born on March 1st, 2931 of the Third Age to Arathorn and Gilraen. At two years old, his father was slain by an orc-arrow that pierced his eye and he died at the age of sixty. Gilraen took her child to Rivendell, and Elrond took the place of his father and loved him as if he were his own. In this house his lineage was kept secret from him, and he was called Estel, which means 'hope' in the Elven tongue.

At the age of 20,
Aragorn was told by Elrond of his true name and lineage, and he received the shards of Narsil and the Ring of Barahir. The Sceptre of Annuminas was withheld from him still, and not for many years would he earn it.

Just the next day, an hour after sunset, for the first time he
set his eyes upon Arwen Undomiel, Elrond's daughter, and at that moment he fell in love with her. Soon, Elrond found this out, and he claimed to Aragorn that he would not bind to any woman until his destiny was fulfilled. As for Arwen, she was much too high of lineage for him.

Aragorn left the house of Elrond, and he starts a long life in the Wild. In the year of 2956 of the Third Age he meets Gandalf, and a long friendship begins. From 2957-2980 he went to both Rohan and Gondor and served under King Thengel and the steward Ecthelion II under the guise of Thorongil. After, he went alone far east and south, where he learned much of the hearts of Men and the plots of Sauron's servants.

At 49 years of age, he returned from the dark confines of
Mordor and yearned to go back to Rivendell. But first, he went to Lorien, where he was permitted to enter by the grace of Lady Galadriel. Here, he met Arwen once more, and she returned his love. Aragorn gave her the Ring of Barahir, and they pledged to one another their love on the hill of Cerin Amroth.

He returned once more to
Rivendell, and a shadow now lay upon him and Elrond. Elrond feared for Arwen, and told him that she would not marry anyone lesser than the King of Gondor and Arnor. And they spoke no more of it.

A few years later, Gilraen departed the
House of Elrond and stayed with her own people. She and her son saw each other seldom; but before she died, he paid her one last visit. She knew she was to die, yet he asked for her to look beyond the darkness, to the light. And then she said:

"Omen i-Estel Edain, u-chebin estel anim."

"I gave Hope to the Dunedain, I have kept no hope for myself."

She died before the next spring, in the year of 3007.

In the year of 3001, Gandalf came to the suspect that the ring that
Bilbo carried was indeed the One Ring. The guard on the Shire is doubled at this time, and Gandalf calls for the help of Aragorn to look for news in the creature Gollum, who once bore the Ring. Nothing is found of him for many years, and in 3009 Gandalf and Aragorn renew their hunt for Gollum, and for the next eight years, they search the vales of the Anduin, Mirkwood, and Rhovanion to the confines of Mordor. Finally, Aragorn finds him in the Dead Marshes, and for 50 days they travel up to Mirkwood, to Thranduil's halls. Here, Gollum is kept prisoner and Aragorn makes his way back to Eriador

Thus, in the year 3018, in September, he
meets the hobbits in Bree, and takes them to Rivendell. On the 25th of October the Council of Elrond takes place, and on December 25th the Fellowship sets out, and the Quest begins.

Exactly three months past (in Shire Reckoning), and at the age of 88
Aragorn claims the throne. He is crowned king of Gondor and Arnor on May 1st, earns himself the Sceptre of Annuminas, and marries Arwen Undomiel on Mid-year's Day.

During his reign he rebuilt much of what was lost, and brought back the glory days of old
to his kingdom. He permitted no Men to enter the Shire, and declares it a free land. The Thain, the Master, and the Mayor (Pippin, Merry, and Sam, respectfully) he makes 'Counsellors of the North-kingdom'. In year 14 of the Fourth Age he travels up to Lake Evendim, and then comes to the Brandywine Bridge to greet his friends. Here, he gives the Star of the Dunedain to Sam, and Elanor is made a maid of honour to Queen Arwen. The Westmarch, from the Far Downs to the Tower Hills, was added to the Shire as a gift from King Elessar.

On March 1st, 120 FA,
King Elessar at last surrendered his crown to his son, Eldarion, and at the ripe age of 210 he passed away. Arwen bids her son, her daughters, and all those dear to her farewell soon after, and goes to Lorien, which is deserted. Here she lays her body to rest and dies on Cerin Amroth, where once long ago she pledged her love to Aragorn.

And thus ends
his glorious life. *cries*

'All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.'

Have a fabulous day,
Laire

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2008, 1:00pm

Post #2 of 21 (5627 views)
Shortcut
*winkie wink* Happy Birthday, Strider :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*whispers* Take a look at the events section on the homepage. Click on March 1 of the calendar ;)

This is a WONDERFUL collection of Aragorn's life. *wild applause* I love it! Really, when you look at his impact on the History of Middle-earth, I would say it's more than any single "Man" has ever had. True that Elendil, Isildur and many others were powerful and influential, but Aragorn literally lived many lives of men IN their own realms as one of their own, as one of the Elves, as a steward of his own realm in the role of a Ranger, and he became very hobbity, imho, through his involvement with the Shirelings.

Thank you, Ainu Laire :) This is fantastic!

Happy Birthday, Strider! You did good :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2008, 1:16pm

Post #3 of 21 (5551 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've finally gotten all of your pictures to load (very slow dialup, don'tchaknow) WONDERFUL WORK, Ainu! WOW! Thank you!

*whispers* some of the linkies aren't working for ya ;)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 1 2008, 1:20pm)

elentari3018
Rohan

Mar 1 2008, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 21 (5542 views)
Shortcut
Wow what a great post Suvi! [In reply to] Can't Post

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ARAGORN!
I should write something or have an Aragorn picspam shouldn't i?
Thanks fro the reminder and i do wish our hunky Ranger has a great b-day! :D

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 1 2008, 3:24pm

Post #5 of 21 (5525 views)
Shortcut
Great post! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for all the wonderful links. Aragorn was the first character from LotR I fell in love with, back when I was thirteen. There were others later (Faramir, Frodo, etc.), but he's still my favorite.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Menelwyn
Rohan

Mar 1 2008, 3:28pm

Post #6 of 21 (5532 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to our King! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much, Laire, for the lovely post! A fitting tribute to my favorite character. I got a little teary-eyed there by the end.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 1 2008, 3:33pm

Post #7 of 21 (5520 views)
Shortcut
Great post! [In reply to] Can't Post

a nice tribute to "The Man" (if anyone deserves that title, it's Aragorn!).

Only the mediocre are always at their best.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2008, 3:36pm

Post #8 of 21 (5504 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, well done, Ainu! (I especially liked the picture of the Elf showing Estel how to shoot an arrow.)

This is a perfect celebration of Aragorn's life - thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Elven
Valinor

Mar 1 2008, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 21 (5522 views)
Shortcut
Many Happy Returns Strider ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish he would return!! Cool

Wonderful thread Ainu Laire!! I loved your posting!! and the Home page illustration!

Happy Birthday Aragorn - you hunk you!! Laugh

Cheers Elven.

Amy Winehouse acquires Shire retreat for Summer ...

Amy Winehouse sells Shire retreat in Autumn ...

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 1 2008, 8:17pm

Post #10 of 21 (5517 views)
Shortcut
Here's my contribution to the party [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the Tolkien quote cards I made a few years back.

Altariel_of_Lothlorien
The Shire

Mar 1 2008, 9:37pm

Post #11 of 21 (5486 views)
Shortcut
Yay happy birthday Aragorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

To the most awesome ranger and king ever! *raises glass*

Remember me? I'm the one who likes Discworld and obsesses over costumes.

Mah arts

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 2 2008, 3:19am

Post #12 of 21 (5477 views)
Shortcut
So touching! [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the links to different styles of artwork. This was really beautiful, thanks for re-posting it.

Heart Loresilme

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2008, 3:33am

Post #13 of 21 (5530 views)
Shortcut
*dead from happiness* [In reply to] Can't Post

Dear People Who Run TORn's Front Page,

Thanks for remembering Aragorn's bday ^^ Thanks for also making me pass out from happiness when I opened up my browser and saw my drawing staring back at me.

*flies away*

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 2 2008, 4:05am

Post #14 of 21 (5484 views)
Shortcut
Well deserved! [In reply to] Can't Post

You wrote a wonderful biographical note, and your drawing is just lovely.

Thanks, AL!

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Mar 2 2008, 8:15am

Post #15 of 21 (5478 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday, Aragorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

The biography and the pictures are lovely.That was a wonderful birthday gift for our favourite Ranger! Thanks, Ainu Laire!

And I'm glad TPTB put it on the homepage Smile

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Rivendweller
Lorien

Mar 2 2008, 2:54pm

Post #16 of 21 (5482 views)
Shortcut
That was the " Hope" picture was it not? [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked that one very much as well. For some reason I thought of the Elf as Legolas. It may be that the drawing resembeled him but I like to think that it actually was Legolas who had a hand in teaching Aragorn archery.

A wonderful tribute!

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

luvgabe
The Shire

Mar 2 2008, 8:32pm

Post #17 of 21 (5452 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's BD [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Ainu Laire, for that wonderful bio on Aragorn!

Happy birthday to the great Aragorn! Would that we have leaders like you today, to guide us through our troubled times.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 3 2008, 5:44pm

Post #18 of 21 (5440 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! // [In reply to] Can't Post

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 3 2008, 5:48pm

Post #19 of 21 (5445 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree wholeheartedly that Aragorn deserves his due! You did a wonderful job of celebrating him, A.L. I have always been pleased that our birthdays are only days apart and I have marked the day since I first read LotR, as Aragorn is my favorite character. I know I'm late to the Boards, but Happy Belated Birthday, Aragorn! Thanks to you, too, A.L.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

clocwrk

Mar 3 2008, 7:19pm

Post #20 of 21 (5451 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow. Great post! Thanks for the time it took to share the info on Aragorn's back story.

Thorondil

Mar 4 2008, 3:52pm

Post #21 of 21 (5427 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday Aragorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliantly done...including the artwork...you are very, very talented...

Here is to my favorite character, Aragorn Elessar...the noblest and greatest of all men in the history of Middle Earth...

All that is gold does not glitter...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.