Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ more polished than DOS...hopes for BOT5A...

NateGate
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 11:35pm

Post #1 of 17 (928 views)
Shortcut
AUJ more polished than DOS...hopes for BOT5A... Can't Post

Am I the only one who feels like AUJ was overall more polished and fluid than DOS? In terms of CGI, scripting, dialogue, editing, and pretty much editing? I hope they take the time to polish BOT5A properly....

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 11:38pm

Post #2 of 17 (560 views)
Shortcut
Overall, I would probably say the reverse. [In reply to] Can't Post

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 11:39pm

Post #3 of 17 (546 views)
Shortcut
No, I prefer DoS. Enjoy both films, though [In reply to] Can't Post

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:43pm

Post #4 of 17 (537 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly prefer AUJ over DOS, though there are specific scenes within DOS I prefer (EE version of Dol Guldur, Bilbo Smaug covo, Bilbo Balin coversation etc.). It feels more like a 'movie' with characters having discernible arcs unlike Desolation which, I think, seems to suffer from the middle instalment issue.

And after watch the appendices section for the Smaugs vs. Dwarves segment of DOS I definitely think AUJ was far more polished. (Though it was obviously rushed too.)

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 11:43pm

Post #5 of 17 (532 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen the entire EE so can't comment for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

But from what I have seen...definitely, couldn't agree more! The theatrical editions of both definitely leave me favoring AUJ.

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:46pm

Post #6 of 17 (531 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ remains my favourite action-adventure fantasy flick and my favourite Middle-earth movie.

It's because it has heart and charm.

These elements are mostly absent (and perhaps understandably so) from the more urgent and
weighty middle chapter.

The technical aspects of both instalments are of course top notch (despite dodgy CGI) but DoS
does have an 'awkwardness' about it (IMHO).

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 22 2014, 12:00am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 11:48pm

Post #7 of 17 (538 views)
Shortcut
The exact opposite. [In reply to] Can't Post

And anyone that can say the CGI is better in AUJ than it is in DoS is crazy.

Our destiny lies above us.

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 17 (539 views)
Shortcut
The both have terrible effects in parts... [In reply to] Can't Post

But Desolation has the worst. These take the cake...

http://i.imgur.com/z6l2SDp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3biao06.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/102CIVp.jpg

Horrible.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 12:12am

Post #9 of 17 (506 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I think both films are at the same level, but I prefer the adventure-aspect of AUJ.

delius82
Rivendell

Oct 22 2014, 3:23am

Post #10 of 17 (426 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
AUJ remains my favourite action-adventure fantasy flick and my favourite Middle-earth movie.

It's because it has heart and charm.

These elements are mostly absent (and perhaps understandably so) from the more urgent and
weighty middle chapter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm in total agreement with this. DOS really hits the ground running and some of its luster dims because of this. But AUJ's heart and charm really carry it through.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Oct 22 2014, 5:36am

Post #11 of 17 (405 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are horrible. Why leave them in the film I wonder?? Those scenes were not needed...

Dipling
Lorien

Oct 22 2014, 6:31am

Post #12 of 17 (380 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That is the only thing that bothers me. How couldn't they repair this CGI in DOS EE?
It's not even normal WETA level. They could have fix this. We shall see what Peter thinks of it (EE commentaries).

(This post was edited by Dipling on Oct 22 2014, 6:32am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 8:49am

Post #13 of 17 (348 views)
Shortcut
Another shot: [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bilbo toys with the spider web there's a shot of the digital dwarf doubles walking down a path. They fact that they're so close to the camera yet CG annoyed me.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 22 2014, 9:38am

Post #14 of 17 (335 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel DoS was a mess (despite many good visuals), with a few shallow nonsensical scenes thrown in, and important character development scenes left out.

In Reply To
Am I the only one who feels like AUJ was overall more polished and fluid than DOS? In terms of CGI, scripting, dialogue, editing, and pretty much editing? I hope they take the time to polish BOT5A properly....

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 22 2014, 9:40am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 22 2014, 12:03pm

Post #15 of 17 (311 views)
Shortcut
The EE makes all the difference... [In reply to] Can't Post

DoS feels much less "messy" and flows a lot better when Beorn is more fleshed out and Mirkwood is less rushed, not to mention Dol Guldur being transformed.

The Theatrical Edition of AUJ is still probably the best of the four. But Extended Smaug is second on the list. With Extended AUJ third and Theatrical DoS way on the bottom - it was a confusing mess of a film.

That isn't the order of which films I enjoy most, I actually prefer the Extended AUJ. But is purely in terms of feeling polished and planned and not cobbled together in a rush, if that makes sense?

The Extended AUJ is a little messy, but I love the scenes, I even love the Great Goblin's song (guilty pleasure), even if they're not edited in very well.

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 22 2014, 12:48pm

Post #16 of 17 (292 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

except for the stone giants, that was the biggest distraction of the entire movie for me, it almost took me out of the experience. yes a good moment of peril and adventure in the book but on screen it was a tad meh. that's just my humble opinion, mad props to the weta team for the effort and work in the cgi and compositing. DOS as much as i love it is a slight mess compared to AUJ. AUJ also doesn't have that hazy blurry tint that dos had! i understand pj's justification but it really made it feel plastic. i actually found a torrent the other day of some guy who regraded it and removed or lessened the green tint, screencaps look pretty good.

http://screencapped.net/...15#top_display_media

i like this scene alot but the hazy dawn, saturation, and feathering puts me off. again, props to the team for the hard work, i mean not to take away from the effort and value of their efforts. yes the cgi in both had a few dodgy comps (moreso DOS) but there's nothing we as viewers can do about it.

i'm optimistic about botfa :)

"You must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!" - Gandalf

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 22 2014, 12:53pm

Post #17 of 17 (295 views)
Shortcut
AUJ EE [In reply to] Can't Post

best out out of the lot so far. in a way i think it also felt more "ringsy" if you know what i mean.

"You must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!" - Gandalf

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.