The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Desolation of Smaug EE reveals some unused/unfinished Thranduil scenes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 7:00pm

Post #1 of 38 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug EE reveals some unused/unfinished Thranduil scenes Can't Post

Unused costume (Feast of Starlight)? https://38.media.tumblr.com/...Ke1t0ho82o2_1280.jpg

Giving Legolas permission to find Tauriel: https://38.media.tumblr.com/...XH1s3b86go2_1280.jpg

https://38.media.tumblr.com/...XH1s3b86go4_1280.jpg

Addressing the Company: https://38.media.tumblr.com/...sa1sapbq8o4_1280.jpg
https://33.media.tumblr.com/...sa1sapbq8o3_1280.jpg

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 7:52pm

Post #2 of 38 (1094 views)
Shortcut
One of the very few disappointments with the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

While I completely understand removing the Thranduil / Dwarves scene for the theatrical cut, it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't include it for the extended cut, which is mostly for the hardcore fans anyways. From the 45 seconds-1 minute we've scene of it, it looked like an incredible scene filled with the type of character interaction we love. It features a very similar tone to that of the book. It's a great shame we won't see if re-instated into the film. I hope it surfaces in it's entirety at some point down the road, or is included in some super extended 6-film box set.

Lanteia
The Shire

Oct 21 2014, 8:02pm

Post #3 of 38 (997 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

The MAIN reason I waited to buy the extended edition vs the theatrical was to see more Thranduil. I'm highly disappointed! I can't understand the thought process the filmmakers were going through. "Oh, let's exclude scenes of one of our most popular characters so we can get on with the action." Yes, that makes sense.. Frown It's an extended edition for a reason!!! Hopefully it will be included later... Ugh, I usually don't get so flustered over something like this. Maybe they couldn't render the effects in time? I don't know; like I said, I'm confused about this decision.

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 8:07pm

Post #4 of 38 (971 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely not a Visual Effects thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they wanted to include it, they would have. I think PJ honestly didn't like the scene in the flow of the movie. Which is understandable for the theatrical cut. You want to "just get on with it" at that point. But for the extended cut, for the fans who want to see every morsel of footage, and love being slowly taken through the world, it's disappointing to see it not included. Especially since it seems like a great scene, and one that is far more relevant than half of the additions to the AUJ EE (Naked bathing?) or the LOTR EE (Eowyn's soup?)

It'd be like if PJ didn't include the Mouth of Sauron in the ROTK EE because he thought it didn't work because we know Frodo is alive. Of course he was smart to exclude it from the theatrical cut, but the extended cut is the opportunity for rabid fans to enjoy all of these smaller side treks in the context of the film.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 38 (979 views)
Shortcut
The Legolas/Thranduil scene looks most interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

An interaction I would've definitely liked to see, with Legolas telling Thranduil Tauriel has run off and how he reacted to that.

Really do hope these scenes (along with Dale exploration) turn up in a future deluxe edition. It seems another 10+ minutes could've been given to the DOS EE.

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 8:14pm

Post #6 of 38 (998 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ got shellshocked... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by the negative criticism of AUJ's more leisurely pacing. The vast majority of the footage added back in here for the EE could have and should have been included in the Theatrical Cut. The film still moves at a good pace - arguably at a much better pace (with less rushing through the narrative).

He's definitely not applying the same principles here as he did for the LotR EEs.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 21 2014, 8:16pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 8:19pm

Post #7 of 38 (949 views)
Shortcut
If it is any consolation .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil is far from my favourite character. The scenes that are included are some of the best in both AUJ and DOS. Thranduil may or may not have improved this. Regardless, I'm very pleased with the extended edition.

DjU
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 8:46pm

Post #8 of 38 (903 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He's definitely not applying the same principles here as he did for the LotR EEs.

It's amazing how many people seem to be privy to what PJ is thinking...does he personally text you?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 8:49pm

Post #9 of 38 (874 views)
Shortcut
Pardon me. [In reply to] Can't Post

"He definitely doesn't seem to be applying the same principles here as he did for the LotR EEs."

Better? Tongue

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

DjU
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 8:52pm

Post #10 of 38 (894 views)
Shortcut
Not Feast of Starlight [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Unused costume (Feast of Starlight)? https://38.media.tumblr.com/...Ke1t0ho82o2_1280.jpg

That's got nothing to do with the 'Feast of Starlight' - infact I'm pretty sure its nothing to do with DOS, it seems to be a costume that was made for a ditched/alternative version of the AUJ Prologue. The DOS Art and Design book mentions this - page 86 for any one who has a copy.
Note: Thranduil is on horse back (doubling for and Elk)

PredatoR
Bree

Oct 21 2014, 8:53pm

Post #11 of 38 (853 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhh!

I am really surprised that noone talks about totally new outfit fo Thranduil which is in one photo! What is it really I would want to know!!!

DjU
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 8:54pm

Post #12 of 38 (843 views)
Shortcut
See my post a minute or two before yours! // NT [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 9:01pm

Post #13 of 38 (849 views)
Shortcut
Is it so ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

They have enough material for the uber-extended trilogy edition in 3 years time? If that's the case, then I am happy. Wink

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 9:10pm

Post #14 of 38 (817 views)
Shortcut
That better be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They have enough material for the uber-extended trilogy edition in 3 years time? If that't the case, then I am happyWink

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 9:18pm

Post #15 of 38 (838 views)
Shortcut
*Shakes head slowly* [In reply to] Can't Post

Nope! There is no valid reason nor any agreeable rationalization
for not including more Thranduil.

A few more scenes involving the Elven King would have definitely
improved the DoS EE.

I am not as pleased as others about this extended edition.Frown

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 21 2014, 9:20pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 9:23pm

Post #16 of 38 (807 views)
Shortcut
What kind of scenes did you have in mind? [In reply to] Can't Post

It really sucks that you especially, did not like this great Extended Edition given how vastly you anticipated itFrown

Do not despair mon ami.Give it another chance! Evil

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Oct 21 2014, 9:25pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 9:28pm

Post #17 of 38 (770 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Regardless, I'm very pleased with the extended edition.

I caught this line in my skimming of threads. Encouraging news!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

VValar
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 9:58pm

Post #18 of 38 (755 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen the EE but this knowledge was disheartening to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everyone who, like me, is quite disappointed they did not include more Thranduil scenes when they obviously did shoot them. I know not every shot is integrated in the movie, but it's especially the diehard fans who buy and watch the EE's and who love to see these sort of shots. And to me it would have been a wonderful addition to witness more of Thranduil-Legolas father and son dynamics which we don't get a whole lot of in the regular DOS.

Oh well, what can you do about it Smile

Still I'm looking forward to see DOS EE in a couple of weeks, just not as thrilled as I might have been before in my excitement of the possibility of new Thranduil footage.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 10:21pm

Post #19 of 38 (731 views)
Shortcut
I'm growing slightly incredulous at how long people want this film to be! [In reply to] Can't Post

So we are currently on 3 hrs 6 minutes. It seems like so far everyone likes the 25 extra EE minutes so we are keeping them. On top of that, I have seen passionate calls for:

1. Thrain meeting Gandalf and giving him the key
2. Explanatory eagles
3. Beorn torturing an Orc
4. Beorn in Dol Guldur
5. More travelling scenes
6. More spider fight
7. Even more Mirkwood in general
8. All the dwarves meeting Thranduil
9. Legolas talking with Thranduil
10. More Thranduil
11. The feast of starlight party
12. Never venture East
13. Dwarves putting on and taking off armour
14. Elrond throwing the dagger into the tombs
15. The party in lake town
16. More songs
17. Lots of Dale exploration
18. More dwarves
19. More Bilbo
20. More Sauron
21. More Radagast
22. More discussion between Gandalf and Radagast in the tombs
23. Bolg and Azog bonding
24. Any other scene that was shot that we ever hear about in the future!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 10:36pm

Post #20 of 38 (725 views)
Shortcut
I vaguely remember PJ apologizing for something before???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't remember what it was now and anyway my head is too crowded. But after seeing the EE - which IMO is WONDERFUL - do agree fan or or not, it would have been better to have finished the Thranduil scene and include that. Funny thing is listening to PJ talk about it, I would swear that this is a decision he made that even he wasn't absolutely sure about - unlike other commentary when he sounds VERY sure.

Sometimes I think re some of PJ's comments at times he just "thinks too much like a director" and that's tough I guess, sitting in a dark room going through, frame by frame. I think PJ & co. WILL hear the rumblings of discontent. It's significant I think that he himself said it was great stuff so I have hopes for a "director's cut" where this will be rectified.Unsure (And Dale, too....)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 10:36pm

Post #21 of 38 (694 views)
Shortcut
Bolg and Azog bonding? [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 10:53pm

Post #22 of 38 (700 views)
Shortcut
You forgot to add: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Dwarves braiding their hair, cooking, and Dwalin sharpening his axes.
2) Fili and Kili showing Bilbo sword fighting tips
3) More ponies
4) Beorn caring for his bees
5) More Mirkwood creatures, fair or otherwise
6) Radagast meeting with Galadriel
7) More Thranduil - connection w. forest scene?
8) The dwarves at the Master's and Thorin looking impatient/another Bofur song
9) Thorin and Bilbo talking, showing their growing friendship and Bilbo saying something that makes Thorin smile
10) More Thranduil
11) More Dwarves/Thorin
12) Girls interacting with Bilbo/dwarves - curious
13) Alfrid helping to dress the Master
14) The scene where a Laketowner comments on the direction the dwarves were traveling
15) More Thorin
16) More Thranduil
17) More Fili
18) Bard telling the dwarves they have to get into the barrels
19) Legolas and Tauriel crossing into Laketown, tracking the orcs.
20) More Thranduil and Thorin.

Just fantasizing about six hours of all of this - turn off the phone, order pizza, curl up, turn down the lights, favorite curl-up spot - if only.....HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 21 2014, 10:57pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 10:56pm

Post #23 of 38 (670 views)
Shortcut
The list goes ever on and on...... [In reply to] Can't Post

DjU
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:06pm

Post #24 of 38 (683 views)
Shortcut
Not sure if serious... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think PJ & co. WILL hear the rumblings of discontent.

Are you seriously suggesting that PJ is going to somehow do something because he's heard some outcry from of a little minority of fans - primarily ones who live in Thranduil / Thorin love-in threads - that they are devastated that some scenes weren't included?

Can't help but think you are bigging yourself up there a little...

In Reply To
I have hopes for a "director's cut"

You got your Directors Cut last year - it was in the cinema, everyone saw it, and there is and explanation from the director why the scene wasn't included. He then hasn't deemed it important enough to go in the extended edition.

What you seem to be talking about is a "Avandel Cut because Avandel wasn't satisfied Cut"

If in a few years a longer version of the entire six movies happens, the scenes may appear but its not going to be due to some faux outcry.

(This post was edited by DjU on Oct 21 2014, 11:08pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 11:09pm

Post #25 of 38 (658 views)
Shortcut
Decent list [In reply to] Can't Post

A little bit of this and that; a little bit hear and there. Some of those tantalizing, delightful, and easily insertable (assuming they exist) items, had they been included, would have went a long way in my book. The EE, while stimulating in a compelling narrative sense, left me feeling cold. I actually found myself enjoying the third-act action sequences more than anything else.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.