Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Please post spoilers for the DoS Extended edition here!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Anubis
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 11:53am

Post #176 of 206 (2205 views)
Shortcut
     Questions. [In reply to]  

Do we see Thrain fighting orcs in Moria?
Do we see Bombur being carried by his fellow dwarves?
Do we see more of the barrel sequence?

Thanks to the people that are making the effort to answer the rest of the fansī questions.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 11:54am

Post #177 of 206 (2199 views)
Shortcut
     // [In reply to]  

1)Yes
2)Yes
3)No

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 11:56am

Post #178 of 206 (2175 views)
Shortcut
     Agree Daniel. [In reply to]  

The whole Beorn sequence is an instant classic and it's so good!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 11:56am

Post #179 of 206 (2188 views)
Shortcut
     Well on question 1 [In reply to]  

We see him only outside Moria don't we (just for clarity i.e. there aren't any shots inside Moria)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:01pm

Post #180 of 206 (2150 views)
Shortcut
     Yes I think "interesting" is the word that sprang to mind for me [In reply to]  

With the prologue. I do mean genuinely interesting but I actually think the scene works better in the TE. The nested flashback would, I think, be a bit of a stretch for the casual viewer and doesn't seem particularly vital.

I liked the Beorn scene but I can well understand it's removal. It smacks a little of Bag End chattery and, having been burnt in AUJ by this, I think starting the second film off with something similar may have gotten things off on the wrong foot.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 12:01pm

Post #181 of 206 (2169 views)
Shortcut
     You are probably right. [In reply to]  

We see him charging with his huge hammer but i am not sure if we see him killing or fighting orcs outside Moria.And there are not inside shots of Moria for sure.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:03pm

Post #182 of 206 (2153 views)
Shortcut
     I think he gets a few kills in [In reply to]  

He's rather impressive actually.

He definitely has both eyes though. Interesting to switch the design. Perhaps Sher didn't get on with the make up or they got themselves into a muddle over whether he lost it at Moria or not.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 12:04pm

Post #183 of 206 (2146 views)
Shortcut
     I know what you mean. [In reply to]  

But i think the new prologue in the EE must be judged along with the new Thrain scenes in Dol Guldur where there is also a new flashback of the Azanulbizar Battle.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 12:06pm

Post #184 of 206 (2156 views)
Shortcut
     @Necromancer [In reply to]  

Why Beorn and Gandalf even talk about the tombs,whats the reason/start for it ?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:09pm

Post #185 of 206 (2138 views)
Shortcut
     Oh yes I agree [In reply to]  

But I suppose that again, whilst I very much enjoyed the Thrain DG scenes, I don't find it all that mysterious that they were excised. Overall, if you were having to learn about the whole Thrain plotline from the films alone it's probably a bit tricky to connect to the main story (especially if you only saw AUJ the once).

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 12:14pm

Post #186 of 206 (2160 views)
Shortcut
     First of all forget everything about the Theatrical Edition. [In reply to]  

The editing and dialogues are different in the Extended Edition.

Gandalf asks Beorn what do you know about that Sorcerer,the one they call the Necromancer.Beorn answers: " that he is not what he seems and that all evil things are drawn to his power.Azog pays homage to him.There is more...not long past word spread,the DEAD had been seen walking near the High Fells of Rhudaur etc etc Wink

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 12:16pm

Post #187 of 206 (2111 views)
Shortcut
     nice ! [In reply to]  

seems this scene is a really decent addition to all that Tombs-stuff.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:16pm

Post #188 of 206 (2118 views)
Shortcut
     It's part of a general "evil is abroad" chat. [In reply to]  

Beorn explains that the orcs of Moria are in league with Dol Guldur and that packs have been seen gathering there. He says that the Necromancer is not what he seems. He also says that there are rumours of the dead walking in the High Fells and asks Gandalf if it is true there are tombs there. He goes on to say that a dark power once ruled the land that had the power to raise the dead and if it had returned he would like to know about it (or words to that effect!)

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 12:17pm

Post #189 of 206 (2121 views)
Shortcut
     Sounds Good so far [In reply to]  

The Thrain and Beorn stuff especially. Its great to here these two interesting characters fleshed out.

Shame that Thranduil scene was cut, it seemed like a prime target for the EE.

Yes, my username is terrible.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 12:18pm

Post #190 of 206 (2105 views)
Shortcut
     I totally agree [In reply to]  

that Thrain's part is a tricky one for the casual viewers and a real treat for the fans but in both cases i believe it's intriguing enough for someone to think that there is more "juice" and background in that story, without further elaborating with it.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 12:24pm

Post #191 of 206 (2115 views)
Shortcut
     So [In reply to]  

Gandalf needs Galadriels words to convince him to go to Rhudaur.
Without having seen it, it appears a bit strange having two chats about the High Fells, first with Beorn and on the edge of Mirkwood...well have to see how it works...

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 12:27pm

Post #192 of 206 (2094 views)
Shortcut
     Not exactly! [In reply to]  

Beorn intrigues and fears Gandalf and then Galadriel establishes that fear ;)You will realise it when you see it yourself

P.S.Beorn asked Gandalf if there are tombs on these mountains Wink

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Oct 21 2014, 12:28pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 12:29pm

Post #193 of 206 (2088 views)
Shortcut
     Hmmm [In reply to]  

but shouldnt he been intrigued already at the White Council, while discussing the morgul blade ? Wink

Anyway, that convinces me even more that the High Fells would have been better placed in AUJ, right after Rivendell and as it was probably meant to be.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 12:31pm

Post #194 of 206 (2096 views)
Shortcut
     I also see it as a growing impetus for Gandalf to abandon the company [In reply to]  

I.e. the fact he is already embarked on one quest and has responsibilities to the group means that it gradually sways him as the evidence mounts (Beorn's info is presented as rumour)

redgiraffe
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 12:42pm

Post #195 of 206 (2073 views)
Shortcut
     thrains eye [In reply to]  

I'm watching it now and he definitely has both eyes in the prologue but it really looks like his left eye is almost half shut so I guess its sort of an in between with designs.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 1:43pm

Post #196 of 206 (1988 views)
Shortcut
     The Men of the North - [In reply to]  

- I'm somewhat pleased that the Rangers of the North (or at least their apparent kin) make an appearance. It kind of bothered me that we don't see much of the Northern Rangers in these movies apart from Strider.

Well. the Witch-King seemed to have personally discovered that they're 'dangerous folk' indeed.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

davidjUK
Bree

Oct 21 2014, 2:51pm

Post #197 of 206 (1976 views)
Shortcut
     Beorn clip [In reply to]  

I've found a clip of when the Dwarves introduce themselves to Beorn. Spoiler alert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKORDlGcUM

schadowfax
The Shire

Oct 21 2014, 2:54pm

Post #198 of 206 (1980 views)
Shortcut
     more! [In reply to]  

here's a few others incl thrain (dol goldur) etc

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsOkDqXwjNJuTyz1rjQBX4g/videos

"You must stay on the path, do not leave it. If you do, you'll never find it again. No matter what may come, stay on the path!" - Gandalf

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 3:49pm

Post #199 of 206 (1875 views)
Shortcut
     Will just add to NR's comment re Gandalf [In reply to]  

For me IMO, the EE made Gandalf's behavior in leaving the dwarves a lot better, in that this is a pretty sore point with me.

Think the EE depicts quite well that the conversation with Beorn provides Gandalf with enough detail to truly hone Gandalf's (and Galadriel's) suspicions. What it really emphasized for me is that in going and investigating, Gandalf really has to ignore the words of the head of his order - when you see the footage you will understand.

Plus those specific details that Beorn provides. Made a lot more sense to me than the TE version.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Oct 21 2014, 3:51pm

Post #200 of 206 (1874 views)
Shortcut
     I am waiting your full review of the EE. [In reply to]  

Laugh

And where is our Keen Observer too?Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.