Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's your favorite thing to do when you're sick?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 12:18am

Post #1 of 31 (1734 views)
Shortcut
What's your favorite thing to do when you're sick? Can't Post

I have been ghastly sick all week with a virus- not a known one, but bad enough to leave me so exhausted all week that I feel like I've been hit by a train, despite sleeping more than not.

So I wonder, what do you all do when you're feeling icky?

I peruse TORn, sometimes obsessively refreshing the page to see if there are any new posts (thankfully the hobbit board has been quite busy this past week lol Wink). I'm sure that, given my frequent posting today, some of you may have already figured that out Wink

Writing my fan fiction's latest chapter (if I can focus well enough to do so).

Emailing my fan fiction penpals.

Watching ME movies Sly

And intermittenly getting my girlies food, helping them get dressed (if needed- mainly my two year old who changes if she gets even one drop of water on her clothes Crazy), and listening closely for any "illicit behavior" on their part from my perch on my bed or my couch (it's not a big house).

I've also fallen in love with Netflix, because though I know it's "bad parenting" at least watching Curious George episodes a zillion times on my husband's computer will (mostly) allow me to rest while they're occupied (plus the poor kiddos are sick too Unsure). And if necessary I can move it to my bed so I can sleep while they sit and watch next to me (and often the two year old conks out too if she has her much loved blanket Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 12:27am

Post #2 of 31 (1432 views)
Shortcut
watch tv shows I've seen before and love [In reply to] Can't Post

It can't be something I haven't seen because then I'd have to pay close attention and I can't.

It has to be something I loved to make me willing to see it again.

Ones I've used in these situations:

Firefly/Serenity

Pride and Prejudice - Kiera+Matthew

Master and Commander

Sense and Sensibility - Emma Thompson / Ang Lee

Firefly makes me enormously happy. It's like happy juice with a warm comforter. I know them so well I wait for and then say certain lines with the actors.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 12:43am

Post #3 of 31 (1427 views)
Shortcut
good choices! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I myself prefer Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth's P&P Smile

Then again, I watched that one first, so maybe that bias is due to the Kiera Knightley one feeling a bit too short (much like the TE of ME films feel too short after one is used to the EE Wink).

I hope that Firefly comes back- it's a shame the series was prematurely ended Unsure

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 1:02am

Post #4 of 31 (1430 views)
Shortcut
I was madly in love with the Ehle/Firth version [In reply to] Can't Post

and wasn't convinced about the Knightly/Macfadyen version the first time through. But I saw it a second time and I liked it a little more. Then I bought the DVD and watched it again and was ready to jump completely onboard.

Later, I rewatched the E/F version and it seemed too slow. I think I liked the tauter 2 hour (ish) version of the story. And for all I loved Firth, I do love Macfadyen even more in that role.

But I own the E/F version and still enjoy it.

Personally, I think the dream of what Firefly *was* can never be topped by any version they could bring back. It would have be written from a completely different perspective since Fillion, esp. looks quite different. He not that boyish young man (in looks) anymore. I was struck by how much Summer Glau has matured in her role in Arrow.

And it would be hard to incorporate older versions of Wash and Book.

That said, Whedon is a god so if anyone could do it.. it would be him. But I'm happy with what we got.

Oh... and I should have added North and South to my list.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 1:10am

Post #5 of 31 (1424 views)
Shortcut
I don't mind slow movies or books [In reply to] Can't Post

I revel in details, which is probably why my fan fic is over 300,000 words so far and it's just a month into the story lol Tongue

So I can live with the six hour Ehle/Firth version just fine (in fact, I should see if it's on netflix streaming- doubt it, but worth a shot).

Goodness yes- I forgot about aging (I am relatively inexperienced with Firefly- my husband is the one who's more into it than I, simply because he's a MAJOR sci-fi nerd). After OB's and IH's "deaging" attempts, there's NO WAY I would want to see that done again!

You know, I haven't actually watched any of RA's other work, to be honest (then again, Thorin doesn't really do it for me that way- Kili does, and Fili is growing on me (especially after the DOS performance Heart), but my husband looks remarkably like Kili so that's probably where that comes from Blush).

But RA is a FINE actor, if his performance as Thorin is anything to go by (you should also check out AT in Being Human- I do NOT normally go for vampire shows and it was pretty creepy, but I can see why PJ cast him because he really is a phenomenal actor).

I keep debating whether or not I'm going to peruse RA's other work (has to be on netflix- I'm already counting pennies to get the DOS EE Frown), but part of me worries that it will interfere with my mental image of him as Thorin and thus cause issues with my story (I'm so visual that, when I write, I imagine (daydream if you will) the scenes in my head before I write them, then write what I "see and hear" from 3rd person omnipresent POV).

It's tough to watch other settings and be able to clear my mind of them when I sit down to write. But who knows?

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:38am

Post #6 of 31 (1424 views)
Shortcut
RA on Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of his previous work is on Netflix, which is where I first discovered them: North & South, Robin Hood and MI-5 (Spooks) seasons 7-9 are available on disc or via streaming, so you should definitely check them out. The Vicar of Dibley and The Impressionists are available on disc. If you find that you really like N&S, I recommend saving up for the DVD as that has about an extra ~5 mins per episode vs the Netflix version, so a total of ~20 mins - it's like getting an EE! And I've found he's one of those actors who disappears into his roles, so I never see him, I see his characters. Not sure how that might impact your writing, but I say give it a shot! Smile

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:46am

Post #7 of 31 (1418 views)
Shortcut
Movies/TV/TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, that'll do it. Like Magpie, can't watch anything requiring too much brainpower, so definitely movies I've seen before: AUJ, DOS, LOTR, EE Appendices, Princess Bride, North & South, Stardust. Or HGTV House Hunters marathons. I might read a book if it's more lightweight. Definitely TORn. Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:57am

Post #8 of 31 (1417 views)
Shortcut
what is N&S even about? [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:09am

Post #9 of 31 (1421 views)
Shortcut
It's a miniseries [In reply to] Can't Post

based on a book of the same name by English author Elizabeth Gaskell. I tend to think of it as Dickens crossed with Pride & Prejudice. It's set in the 1850s and is the story of a young girl named Margaret Hale who grew up in the south of England whose family moves to a northern industrial mill town, where RA's character John Thornton runs a cotton mill. It starts out as the story of how her family has to get used to the differences of how people live in the north, and how relationships develops between the characters, then becomes more of a romance as the relationship develops between Margaret and John. It's one of the most romantic movies I've ever seen, and was considered RA's breakout role. Heart

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 3:13am

Post #10 of 31 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Read LotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately, I don't get sick very often. But when I had hip surgery a few years ago and was injured last spring I found a lot of solace reading it through again.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 3:23am

Post #11 of 31 (1412 views)
Shortcut
I have seen Being Human [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about Aiden.

I think Richard is such a superb actor that every new role I see him in only raises my esteem for him. Kim had good suggestions on what to watch and I would add the ShakespeaRetold episode where he plays in Macbeth. His role isn't huge but he's great in it.

I don't know about having to fix one role he plays in your mind for your writing. I guess that's you call and I couldn't advise. But I am very grateful for having seen him in all those roles.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 3:28am

Post #12 of 31 (1413 views)
Shortcut
what I love about N&S [In reply to] Can't Post

is that one can really follow how these two came to change their mind about the other... which goes hand in hand with how they each change their view on many things.

In the end, it's not so much that their thinking changed from A to B. But that their thinking expanded to include more... and that's almost as lovely as the romance. That expansion of the heart.

I would say that Matthew Macfadyen in P&P gives Richard in N&S a run for his money in terms of 'most romantic' (for me) but it's not a contest where either loses. It's a situation where I win. ;-)

One should be aware there is a US miniseries by the same name that's about the Civil War. No connection at all to the Gaskell UK miniseries.

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:35am

Post #13 of 31 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Lie on the couch under a blanket and read. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:35am

Post #14 of 31 (1414 views)
Shortcut
well, shoot [In reply to] Can't Post

there is only 1 season (the first one) available on netflix streaming Unsure

I honestly can't watch it- not unless I can get the entire series (not knowing the ending will be like buying a used book and having the second half of it ripped out)- it will drive me CRAZY.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 3:41am

Post #15 of 31 (1412 views)
Shortcut
There was only one season... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if you're talking about North and South.

It was a miniseries.

Netflix (US) has four episodes. That's the complete miniseries.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 21 2014, 3:44am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:47am

Post #16 of 31 (1408 views)
Shortcut
oh, ok [In reply to] Can't Post

so how long is it?

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 3:50am

Post #17 of 31 (1402 views)
Shortcut
I bought the DVD on eBay... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I would rather have the physical copy than downloading or streaming (unless it's the only form available, but until then, I'll stick with physical copies), since then I can pop in any of the DVDs anytime I like (but unlike what Kim suggested, I didn't watch it all in one sitting. More like one disc a week about a week an a half apart. Sometimes it takes me a while to get up the nerve).

Back on topic, when I'm sick, I just read, watch movies or TV series on television or DVD and cry (I don't know why, but sometimes I cry when I'm sick. Probably because I don't like feeling like I'm half dead or looking like something the cat dragged in).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:50am

Post #18 of 31 (1395 views)
Shortcut
4 hours - 4 one hour episodes // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 3:51am

Post #19 of 31 (1400 views)
Shortcut
streaming: first three are 51 minutes long (each) - last one is 52 minutes long [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't find what the length is on the DVDs if they're different like Kim indicates.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 21 2014, 3:51am)

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:56am

Post #20 of 31 (1403 views)
Shortcut
*grabs DVDs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Disc 1 (eps 1 & 2): 116 mins (so ~58 mins each)
Disc 2 (eps 3 & 4): 117 mins (so ~58.5 mins each)
So an extra 28 minutes, plus 23 mins of extras (RA interview and deleted scenes)!
Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 4:02am

Post #21 of 31 (1406 views)
Shortcut
The DVDs have been lingering at the edges of my 'wish list' for years [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been playing it pretty frugal for all that time and they aren't 'cheap' so I didn't indulge. A few times I suggested them for Christmas gifts but my menfolk don't think ahead and haven't followed up on the suggestion.

I just stuck them in my Wish List at Amazon and I may indulge the next time I need to bump up my purchase total or when I get enough points (I have an Amazon credit card).

I think I rented the DVDs the first time I watched but, after that... it was always on streaming.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 6:42am

Post #22 of 31 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Go to work [In reply to] Can't Post

and complain all day. Crazy
That's what I am currently doing.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 8:09am

Post #23 of 31 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Sleeping. [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually I try to watch movies or TV shows I didn't watch in a long time or that I wanted to watch for a long time.

But when I am so sick that I actually stay at home I often cannot make myself watch television too much... I simply sleep then.

And once I feel better to watch TV I usually get up again and back to work... I am one of those people look at and whsiper "why didn't he just stand home?" CrazyWink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 8:48am

Post #24 of 31 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I can stand on my feet, I usually keep on doing what I normally do (though less enthusiastically, of course). If not, then I'm too sick to do anything other than lie and complain. Laugh

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 1:23pm

Post #25 of 31 (1378 views)
Shortcut
Well, the last time I was *really* sick was about 7 years ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the flu and camped out on the couch and watched tv for three days. My sleep cycle got all messed up so I was often wide awake in the middle of the night. So I stayed on the couch so as not to disturb Mr. Eruvande.
Fortunately, we had the grandparents to help with The Little Goblin, as he was only 2 at that time. But I still had to write out the lunch procedures, nap procedures, etc. Hopefully, Mr. Eruvande gained some insight as to what we did all day when I wasn't sick. LaughCrazy

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.