Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dain Ironfoot: Hints, clues & looks at one of the final 'Hobbit' mysteries

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 20 2014, 12:38pm

Post #1 of 11 (820 views)
Shortcut
Dain Ironfoot: Hints, clues & looks at one of the final 'Hobbit' mysteries Can't Post

One of the big visual secrets of the final Middle-earth movie from Peter Jackson, "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies," is Dain Ironfoot. Played by Billy Connoly, Dain is a character that is essential to the story but isn't incredibly fleshed out in J.R.R. Tolkien source material that was originally intended for children.

Our own Demosthenes has this excellent analysis of Connolly as Dain complete with quotes and descriptions of the character. It has long been reported that Dain will arrive on the scene riding a war boar but clearly Jackson's team has been careful not to reveal this in any teaser trailers so far, and, lets hope it stays that way.

But, visuals of the character have started to seep into the public eye. With giant franchise films like The Hobbit, it's impossible to put a lid on too much because merchandise and toys need to start selling before the film hits theaters (and before it is finished!) and that means that at the very least, clues are out in the wild.

The image at the top of this story, for example, clearly displays Lego Dain and it jives with the descriptions that are out there including this one from Connolly via Yahoo Australia:

"They're basically broadening me, making me wider. But let me say, this guy will terrify the life out of you. I have a Mohawk and tattoos on my head. You've got to see it."

The Lego character appears to be a ginger and is wearing a red chest piece as part of his armor, giving him a distinct look that will visually set him apart in cinemas so viewers will know instantly that he isn't like the dwarves we have spent so much time with so far. He is a new element with a distinct mount, armor and will be immediately recognizable and unique.

The Lego Dain even evokes a little bit of Connolly to me visually, although it could be a previous bias.

The concept art here seems to really compliment the Lego image as something close to Dain's final design. The helms certainly seem similar in shape and color and the beards seem the same in shape and color. There are differences however in the color of the breastplate, although details on a Lego toy are only meant to be a representation and not a literal translation. In fact the looking and speculation from still images of a toy and a concept art is fun because of how different the motion picture experience is from a still image. In the day of CGI, what is filmed may or may not even resemble what ends up on screen.

Also included below is the image of Dain in battle, already established with his mohawk and fighting the non-CGI version of an orc. This aligns with Connolly's quotes. But it seems between these images, we have some idea of what to expect of Dain but its a safe bet Jackson, the concept artists at Weta Workshop and the CG wizards at Weta Digital deliver something singularly spectacular. When the lights go down in 50-some days, this will be one of the hotly anticipated cinematic moments. And the character Dain, not widely written about in LOTR or Hobbit, plays a significant part in Middle-earth lore and deserves to be memorable.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 20 2014, 7:41pm)

werewormses
The Shire

Oct 20 2014, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 11 (531 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that Dwalin? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Dain Mohawk

I always thought he was Dwalin.

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 11 (518 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you're right. That's young Dwalin! [In reply to] Can't Post

You get to see Graham McTavish in that makeup in the extra material from AUJ EE.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Merovech
Bree

Oct 20 2014, 6:14pm

Post #4 of 11 (504 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is indeed Dwalin.

Interesting article though.

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 6:15pm

Post #5 of 11 (506 views)
Shortcut
that's what I was about to ask [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Dain Mohawk

I always thought he was Dwalin.

I was sure that Dwalin too, since we saw him during that battle more than a few times.

If Dain continues with the mohawk and such, that's cool. It almost makes me wonder what his military relationship to Dain might be, if anything at all.

An interesting article all the same though.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Defiant
Bree

Oct 20 2014, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 11 (437 views)
Shortcut
Where did the concept art come from? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recognize it from any of the books. Is it a still from a PJ video or something?

PryftanAW
Bree

Oct 20 2014, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 11 (397 views)
Shortcut
It's from the AuJ EE Specials [In reply to] Can't Post

Above the image is written "Iron Hill Dwarf"

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 1:19am

Post #8 of 11 (336 views)
Shortcut
gah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant Dwalin's military relationship to Dain... X-x

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 1:21am

Post #9 of 11 (338 views)
Shortcut
you said military relationship in your previous post too [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Oct 21 2014, 2:08am

Post #10 of 11 (327 views)
Shortcut
That is definitely Dwalin! [In reply to] Can't Post

That said though I hope we'll get to see flashback scenes of Dain fighting at Azanulbizar and hopefully a Balrog foreshadowing. I'd expect they may appear in the EE.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 21 2014, 12:44pm

Post #11 of 11 (287 views)
Shortcut
thanks I missed Dwalin's name [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the assist. I was not playing with a full deck last night. :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.