Hate them
View Results (36 votes)

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 20 (626 views)
Shortcut
Thrift/Charity shops: Love 'em or Hate 'em Can't Post

I personally love them (in the uk they are called charity shops).

Obviously, you have to be careful, as some stuff is worn out, but as a general rule they are a great place to find a bargain and donate to charity at the same time!!Laugh

That said, i know some people who really dislike them, and hate the though of wearing ' other people's clothes '

So what do we think??

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 5:27pm

Post #2 of 20 (502 views)
Shortcut
Love them! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love anyplace I can buy used books. My first copies of LOTR were ten-cent remnants. Also ours carries a variety of movies and music recordings: platters, tapes, dvds, blu-rays.

As for clothes, a good place to find a nice dress jacket for a wedding or funeral.

Also love to go through their collection of cases for glasses, and occasionally I find great (some say kitschy) artwork too.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 20 2014, 5:28pm)

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 20 (496 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

i love buying books there, especially when you find old or beautiful books going for nothing!

My friend recently picked up a first edition Return of the King for a fiver!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 5:57pm

Post #4 of 20 (495 views)
Shortcut
*Looks down at what I'm wearing* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, I got this dress at a thrift shop. Or possibly a rummage sale, I don't remember which. I very seldom buy new clothes, except for underwear and t-shirts.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 5:58pm

Post #5 of 20 (496 views)
Shortcut
I got a signed copy of "Lamb" at a thrift shop. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that book, and I got a copy signed by the author for fifty cents.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 6:15pm

Post #6 of 20 (491 views)
Shortcut
and consignment stores [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge fan of buying pre-owned stuff. Take cars: when I need one, I buy a trade-in from one of those people who think you need a new car every 3 years and then drive it for another 10 or 15 years (on my 18th year with my present Subaru). Most of my clothes come from consignment or thrift stores and most of my small appliances I found at Goodwill. I recycle jigsaw puzzles through Goodwill all the time. And our local Habitat for Humanity store is a great place to find deals on furniture.

I also frequent the used book store, but only after I check out the new books store across the way. I do like authors to get royalties and to support independent book stores.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 7:02pm

Post #7 of 20 (482 views)
Shortcut
Love them [In reply to] Can't Post

At least half of my clothes are second-hand. So is most of the furniture in our house.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 7:32pm

Post #8 of 20 (472 views)
Shortcut
Love 'em. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of my favorite clothes ever have come from thrift shops. If you're a bit patient and have a keen eye you can get quality stuff that's in great condition for a fraction of the price. I buy new too when it's something that i really like, but i've gotten so much great stuff from thrift stores over the years that it's probably my preferred clothing source. Plus, it's a fun way to spend the afternoon with my mom and sister after our monthly Sunday dinner with my mom's side of the family.

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 7:34pm

Post #9 of 20 (471 views)
Shortcut
yes indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

i have spent many a happy hour with my mum and little sis going through the charity shops.

my sister goes and looks at shoes and handbags and i look at the clothes and books!!Laugh

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 8:00pm

Post #10 of 20 (475 views)
Shortcut
They're okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife likes to frequent the local thrift shops.

Cirashala
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 8:19pm

Post #11 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
Love them, if they're actually good in the community [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of our furniture is second hand, every car I've ever owned (my first car, then my car which is now my husband's, and my van, plus his old car before it died) has been used (new cars are a poor investment- get a one year old certified used and the depreciation is WAY less than driving a new car off a lot and turning it into used, which loses several thousand dollars instantly in value).

I also love thrift stores because I love antiques. Thrift stores are GREAT ways to find them at rock bottom prices (I also love, absolutely LOVE, browsing antique stores, and will sometimes buy from them, but they can be spendy).

Thrift stores (plus our income) are the reason why we still have a box tv, a vcr, and most of our furniture. It's also wonderful because we try to avoid debt as much as possible, and this is one way to afford things we may not otherwise be able to, especially nicer things if you're an observant shopper Smile

The only thrift stores I won't shop at are greedy ones/snobby ones who reject good stuff just because it isn't "brand name", or if their execs make ridiculous amounts in salary while the employees are on food stamps. But then again, that rule tends to apply to most places, so while my income necessitates those stores sometimes (like Walmart- ugh), I try to make as much as I can myself so I don't have to go there for clothing, candles, etc Smile

So basically, if I can make it myself, I do (and thank the Lord I know how to make lots of things and am naturally talented at crafting!). Otherwise, it's usually thrift stores for me (and couponing at the fabric store, buying generic, utilizing bulk stores (like Costco) for things we use a lot of, and watching sales) Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 8:19pm

Post #12 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the things I collect that can't be picked up off the ground (acorns, feathers, etc.) are from thrift store. I've purchased a very few things at antique stores. (very few) I've purchased some at sales like garage sales and fundraiser 'garage' sales.

Some of them can be seen in these online albums:
Kitchen collectibles
small dolls
my computer room
metal souvenirs
shadow box

Other items from thrift stores:
most of my Burger King LOTR figures and all of my BK goblets
Weta/Sideshow Gandalf bust
Weta/Sideshow Argonath figures
Pictures by J. R. R. Tolkien (oop - paid $2)
artist's proof of Durthang and the Isenmouthe by Holley Chirot
BBC LOTR radio drama (on cassette)
LOTR audio books on cassette (I got the cds at a used book store)
Hobbit and non BBC LOTR radio dramas (on cassette)
Gollum book and DVD
these Hobbit posters
this Native American Raven Spirit Box - Thomas McPheeI love the Pacific NW art and tales and Raven is my favorite.
Lots of items that ended up as 'art' in my garden

In the 70s, I lived a few blocks away from a Goodwill that specialized in antiques. My entire house was furnished in 30s/40s style furniture and many of my clothes were vintage from that time period as well.

Most of my kids' toys came from thrift stores. Back in the day... it was a family outing to go thrift store shopping and we went through periods where we went weekly. When I moved to Minneapolis, I sold everything.

These days, I'm doing less and less thrift store shopping. The stuff I'd buy is being bought up by people who are reselling on eBay, Etsy, or in occasional/vintage shops.

I did go for the first time in a while last week and picked up three oop collectible CDs from our local Public Radio station. resellers on Amazon are selling them for mucho bucks. I paid 99 cents apiece. But I'm not reselling. I like the music (Waltzing with Bears, The Galaxy/Lighten Up, With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm, NaCl / The Sodium Chloride Song).

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 8:28pm

Post #13 of 20 (463 views)
Shortcut
yes, sometimes you can find lovely antiques... [In reply to] Can't Post

my only problen is that my room is starting to overflow with beautiful things and my mum calls it 'junk' and wants me to throw it out!!

...as much as i love home - i can't wait to get my own place so i can fill it with all my collected stuff. Laugh

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 8:31pm

Post #14 of 20 (470 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure people who know me from online who finally meet me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...suspect I'm a hoarder. lol... they're surprised to see how so not the hoarder I am.

My husband isn't overly fond of my rooster collection. And he tried to mock me for collecting rocks once. I put him straight on that matter and he's not done it since. :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 12:07am

Post #15 of 20 (448 views)
Shortcut
Uncle Baggins has been fillng our house [In reply to] Can't Post

with teapots. This mania started a couple of years ago. He haunts the thrift stores, and buys two or three or four a week. So by the end of the year, there are a couple hundred more in our living room, in boxes. You can't see out the living room window anymore. I'm trying to be patient, because he's a great guy, and at least he's not collecting fast cars or mistresses like some guys do.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 12:16am

Post #16 of 20 (452 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was haunting thrift stores ... I told myself it was a less dangerous form of mood altering behavior than drinking or gambling.

I always had quests. Children's books when I was reading to school kids... stuff to use for my folk dolls... toys for my kids... small glass salt/pepper shakers when I was giving lily of the valley sprigs to co-workers each spring.

When we were doing combat robots, we got involved in what is called the 'ant league'. Small remote control devices under a few pounds. My kids would find cell phone batteries and convert them to batteries for their robots.

Its kind of amusing to watch my 'love to grab other people's trash' son mix decor styles with my 'graduated with an interior design degree' daughter in law. He did insist on keeping the 'vintage' orange chair he picked out of the neighbor's trash years ago and she went along with it.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2014, 12:51am

Post #17 of 20 (439 views)
Shortcut
Love them [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy the "hunt" - I think I've got a little bit of that treasure hunter DNA in me somewhere, even though I've never found anything spectacular. But I've found some nice clothes and books and costume jewelry brooches (which are fun to collect and take up almost no space), and some decorations for the flowerbeds and so on. Also, it's nice to recycle stuff. And thrift shops are great if you're the kind of person who occasionally needs "shopping therapy" but doesn't want to actually spend money. I found out that I get just as cheered up by a $5 trip to a thrift shop as I would by going to the mall, and without the money regret afterward. Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 1:49am

Post #18 of 20 (446 views)
Shortcut
I love going to thrift stores in different cities [In reply to] Can't Post

And different neighborhoods in different cities. The Salvation Army in Fells Point in Baltimore is completely different from the Salvation Army out in the suburbs.

The Sloan-Kettering Thrift Shop on NYC's Upper East Side was a treasure trove of stuff and people - from fur coats to kitchy jewelry to beautiful leather handbags. I had almost as much fun watching the people coming in as digging through all the stuff.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 2:47am

Post #19 of 20 (450 views)
Shortcut
one of my favorite thrift stores... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was one that had most of its donations from older people.

They had all these marvelous old things...

Hair nets
Thimbles
Ric rac

I was really sad when they lost their space and closed.

We often check out thrift stores in cities we're visiting.

Gianna
Rohan

Oct 29 2014, 1:27pm

Post #20 of 20 (447 views)
Shortcut
Nothing better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrift shops are the most amazing thing around. I have hardly any new clothes, they almost all come from thrift shops! You find such great bargains in them too; one time I actually found a Two Towers poster puzzle (COMPLETE) at a Goodwill for just two dollars!

(This post was edited by Gianna on Oct 29 2014, 1:27pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.