Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
It's time for another round of LOTR Trivia!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 16 (4805 views)
Shortcut
It's time for another round of LOTR Trivia! Can't Post

The rules are simple. I ask six questions from the LOTR Trivial Pursuit game. The questions are divided into six categories: Things, Evil Characters, Good Characters, Places & History, Warfare, and Making Movies. I will post the answers for the questions on Friday for you to score yourselves. Until then, answer them, discuss them, joke about them, and feel free to award plenty of Invisible Extra Credit to those who deserve it.

For the record, the LOTR Trivial Pursuit game has some questions that are just too easy, some questions that are awkwardly phrased, and some questions that seem to be flat wrong. I am combining questions from a couple of different cards to get these sets and to try and weed out some of the odd ones. Also, I wouldn't put too much thought into worrying about whether or not the questions fit their categories.

And we have fancy new images for the categories, thanks to Magpie! Here are this week's questions:

What are the three ways to prepare potatoes that Sam tells Gollum about in Ithilien?

Which of the nine companions does Gandalf say Sauron fears the most?

How full is the moon the night Frodo and Sam catch Gollum?

What two-word greeting at Helm's Deep does Legolas give Aragorn, who was thought dead in a Warg attack?

Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo?

What actor was knocked unconcious on the Rivendell set when a wooden loom fell on him?

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 4:32pm

Post #2 of 16 (4614 views)
Shortcut
Here goes! [In reply to] Can't Post

What are the three ways to prepare potatoes that Sam tells Gollum about in Ithilien? smash 'em, boil 'em, stick 'em in a stew

Which of the nine companions does Gandalf say Sauron fears the most? Aragorn

How full is the moon the night Frodo and Sam catch Gollum? quarter?

What two-word greeting at Helm's Deep does Legolas give Aragorn, who was thought dead in a Warg attack? "You're late."

Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo? Sam's

What actor was knocked unconscious on the Rivendell set when a wooden loom fell on him? Sean Bean?

Thanks, AD! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 4:57pm

Post #3 of 16 (4617 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

What are the three ways to prepare potatoes that Sam tells Gollum about in Ithilien?

Au Gratin, Latka, and Bauernfrühstück.

Moe Howard.

Even its corners would be filled, if only it had any corners.

What two-word greeting at Helm's Deep does Legolas give Aragorn, who was thought dead in a Warg attack?

“Nice hat.”

Which Hobbit's blade beats back the first tentacle of the lake beast that snatches Frodo?

Sam’s calamari knife. ("You never know!")

What actor was knocked unconcious on the Rivendell set when a wooden loom fell on him?

Stuart Townsend just wouldn’t leave!

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2014, 12:23am

Post #4 of 16 (4589 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling less sure this week [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm pretty sure I would have felt more confident 5 years ago. Oi... fading memories.

Boil 'em, bake 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

It has to be Aragorn?

hmm... I would say it was a full moon but then I'd have to answer 'fully full' which sounds weird and makes me think that's not the answer. One can't phrase a crescent moon in terms of 'fullness' but one can say 'half full'. So. "Half full"

I got a fair number of questions right on any test I took in school merely by psyching out how well the answers fit with the way the question was phrased.

doh... another Legolas question I should know. I think it's "You're late."

Sam's?

I don't know if I knew this happened but Viggo seemed to have a lot of mishaps so: Viggo?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 2:00am

Post #5 of 16 (4584 views)
Shortcut
Tricksy, but I'll give it a shot [In reply to] Can't Post

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew
Um, Sam?
Er, quarter?
"You're late." Can I get some IEC for knowing what he says next? Yes? Well, that would be "You look terrible"
Uh, Sam?
(wow, really?) Er, Elijah Wood?

Hopefully, the IEC will get me to 50% Crazy

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 3:26pm

Post #6 of 16 (4565 views)
Shortcut
Here we go: [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope I can redeem myself on this round!

"Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew!"

Oooo I should know this Unsure. I guess... Aragorn?

Oh we are tricksy, aren't we?! Crescent moon, but I hope we don't have to specify waxing or waning too Wink.

Do I get partial credit for knowing the Westron translation rather than the Elvish version Smile? I know he says, "You're late ... you look terrible."

I'm guessing this would be Sam, reacting first to protect Frodo.

You got me on this one! Looking forward to finding out who the poor fellow was Crazy!

Nuradar
Rohan

Oct 21 2014, 4:01pm

Post #7 of 16 (4571 views)
Shortcut
answers to trivia contest [In reply to] Can't Post

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

Aragorn, the heir of Elendil.

Full??????

"You're late."

Sam's.

No idea! How do I not know about this???

Thanks AD!

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2014, 4:39pm

Post #8 of 16 (4558 views)
Shortcut
I'll give it a go [In reply to] Can't Post

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

Aragorn

New moon. Or not?

Can't remember what comes before "you look terrible."

Merry?

?? John Rys-Davies?? Never heard of this!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2014, 2:11am

Post #9 of 16 (4560 views)
Shortcut
I'll have a go. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Boil 'em, mash 'em, put 'em in a stew.

2. Aragorn.

3. Barely a sliver?

4.You're late! (Arguable three, with a contraction implying two words... but that's just me being contrary! Laugh Bad me!! Pirate *Slaps hand*)

5. Merry.

6.Hugo Weaving (Har har! Crazy It seemed an approprate guess! Angelic)

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 3:51pm

Post #10 of 16 (4560 views)
Shortcut
Trivia Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday, everyone! Here are the answers to this week's trivia questions. How did you all do?

In Reply To

Boil them, mash them or put them in a stew
We all remember the song, right? No? Here you go.

Aragorn

One quarter
And here's a handy link from the Frame Cap Library to see: Click me.

"You're late"
Of course, Le abdollen (or any spelling thereof) should also be accepted. The game is geared toward the casual watcher and I'm okay with that!

Sam's

What actor was knocked unconscious on the Rivendell set when a wooden loom fell on him?

Sean Astin
This was one of those questions that I had no memory of myself. Google seems to confirm that it was mentioned in the extras somewhere, but I hope you'll all forgive me for such a hard question! Angelic

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 24 2014, 4:08pm

Post #11 of 16 (4522 views)
Shortcut
Five out of six! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not bad. Smile Or should it be five and a half, even? I mean, I did guess the actor's first name correctly. AngelicTongue

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 24 2014, 4:14pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2014, 4:31pm

Post #12 of 16 (4519 views)
Shortcut
Oh, dear [In reply to] Can't Post

and the scary thing is, I just rewatched this recently! Blush

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Kim
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 4:17am

Post #13 of 16 (4523 views)
Shortcut
Four out of six [In reply to] Can't Post

Not bad - certainly better than I thought I'd do. OK, bring on the next one!

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 25 2014, 10:55pm

Post #14 of 16 (4502 views)
Shortcut
Poor Sean! [In reply to] Can't Post

What actor was knocked unconscious on the Rivendell set when a wooden loom fell on him?

Sean Astin
This was one of those questions that I had no memory of myself. Google seems to confirm that it was mentioned in the extras somewhere, but I hope you'll all forgive me for such a hard question! Angelic

And he also got that nasty cut on his foot wading into the water in the scene at the end of FOTR!

Great questions, thanks for a fun game, A-d Smile!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 25 2014, 11:05pm

Post #15 of 16 (4553 views)
Shortcut
3 out of 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think "Bake" is more of an variety to" boil" and "put in a stew" than "Mash".

just saying.

;-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 1:32am

Post #16 of 16 (4488 views)
Shortcut
Trivia [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!
2) Aragorn
3) Crescent?
4) Le abdollen (Something like that, it was subtitled "You look terrible")
5) Sam
6) Viggo Mortensen

Well I got the Elvish part of #3 but not the English! Lol! I'll give myself half a point for that, and I was technically correct when I said crescent, so I'll give myself half there also lol

4/6

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Dec 9 2014, 1:34am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.