The Hobbit Stamps and Coins Can't Post

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/...t/battle-five-armies

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 3:35pm

Post #2 of 8 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Ta for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't yet had me notification from NZ Post, but no doubt it will come. I've only looked at the stamps, since I don't generally buy the coins.

At last we have THRANDUIL and Bard, and NO Legolas, thank goodness, but I would have preferred to have Beorn instead of wot's her name. Smaug has a presence, too, which is great.

No Dwarves as far as I can see, though, which is a bit odd, I think, and Galadriel should have appeared, also in favour of someone else.

Otherwise pretty good.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 8 (1739 views)
Shortcut
WOOOO Saruman! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Christopher makes an appearance in the marketing campaign!

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 8:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (1663 views)
Shortcut
thank you for posting *lifts eyebrows* [In reply to] Can't Post

'The Hobbit: The Battle Of Five Armies' brings to an epic conclusion the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Company of Dwarves. To commemorate the final film in this thrilling trilogy, New Zealand Post has created official stamps and legal tender coins from Middle-earth.

So we have Tauriel - again. As opposed to Legolas, Beorn, dwarves, even Azog.Unsure

Yes, I know Thorin had 2 stamps already. At least Thranduil and Smaug are represented. And I have my DOS stamp stash.

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 9:32pm

Post #5 of 8 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Whoops I was wrong - very nice (BOFA spoilery pic from calender) [In reply to] Can't Post

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/...-personalised-stamps

And ordered (the day will come when all the buzz will be about Star Wars! - and it's nice to know I have supported, er, the New Zealand Post Office.....)

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Oct 20 2014, 9:35pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 11:30pm

Post #6 of 8 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Stamps [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas? He was on the last set (and over-promoted in general, I think). I certainly wouldn't want him in preference to Tauriel, but I would have preferred Beorn and the Dwarves, or even Galadriel instead.

I think the image you show below, of the cover with the Dwarves, is just for the 'personalised' stamps, isn't it?

In Reply To
'The Hobbit: The Battle Of Five Armies' brings to an epic conclusion the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Company of Dwarves. To commemorate the final film in this thrilling trilogy, New Zealand Post has created official stamps and legal tender coins from Middle-earth.

So we have Tauriel - again. As opposed to Legolas, Beorn, dwarves, even Azog.Unsure

Yes, I know Thorin had 2 stamps already. At least Thranduil and Smaug are represented. And I have my DOS stamp stash.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 12:44am

Post #7 of 8 (1628 views)
Shortcut
yes - personalized only [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho I've had to struggle with the terminology a bit - if the U.S. is letting folks for fun "personalize" as stamp as the NZ seems to do with your own photo - e.g. there is a page where you can upload a photo and be one of the dwarves - I have not heard of that here. And maybe some of it was stamp-collector language? We don't call what to me is a pre-stamped envelope a "cover" we call them, well, envelopes - as far as I know.

Anyway mostly I have to go by the pictures of the products shown so I hope I receive what I saw in the picture - stamps with the entire company image. I own that image as a poster and really like it - just want to have bits and pieces of memorabilia and think the stamp issues are pretty interesting, even tho I don't collect stamps. Plus I noticed some of the AUJ stuff will be discontinued? October 31st.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 21 2014, 9:29am

Post #8 of 8 (1672 views)
Shortcut
In the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

In philately there is such a term as 'first-day cover' (or FDC), which is quite well known generally. I just called the envelope in question a 'cover' for want of a better word.

I'm a bit confused about the 'personalised' issue. I certainly wouldn't want to put my mug shot on such an issue, especially not as a Dwarf, because I don't look like one in general and human faces put on Dwarf ones just look silly (to my mind)! However, I wouldn't mind the whole envelope with the pictures of the company. I believe the general picture is on a FDC for AUJ, which I have as part of the 'ultimate' collection. I have to check the two envelopes to see how similar they are (think the stamps are different). Also, are the stamps on the 'personalised' issue legal, i.e. can they be used as stamps?

In Reply To
Tho I've had to struggle with the terminology a bit - if the U.S. is letting folks for fun "personalize" as stamp as the NZ seems to do with your own photo - e.g. there is a page where you can upload a photo and be one of the dwarves - I have not heard of that here. And maybe some of it was stamp-collector language? We don't call what to me is a pre-stamped envelope a "cover" we call them, well, envelopes - as far as I know.

Anyway mostly I have to go by the pictures of the products shown so I hope I receive what I saw in the picture - stamps with the entire company image. I own that image as a poster and really like it - just want to have bits and pieces of memorabilia and think the stamp issues are pretty interesting, even tho I don't collect stamps. Plus I noticed some of the AUJ stuff will be discontinued? October 31st.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.