Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Please post spoilers for the DoS Extended edition here!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 12:59pm

Post #1 of 206 (9683 views)
Shortcut
     Please post spoilers for the DoS Extended edition here!  

Probably best to start a new thread since people can be very sensitive about this.

For those who have seen the Extended edition....

* Can you please detail what new scenes there are?
* Could you give an indication of how long these scenes take?
* How much do you like each of these new scenes?

Mostly I am interested in finding out what the new scenes are.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 206 (6079 views)
Shortcut
     Re the videos Daniel posted above. [In reply to]  

Thank God Smaug has only two legs now... much better.

I assume the scene with Thranduil and the Dwarves will not be in the movie itself, then. At least we can see the footage.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:52pm

Post #3 of 206 (5680 views)
Shortcut
     Only have watched the App. clip Daniel posted [In reply to]  

Personally for now tho going to avoid anything about how Bombur was done, because I just enjoy that too much.

And I have the book on Smaug which is excellent and mind-blowing and can't believe the work that was done and makes me appreciate and see things about Smaug maybe that don't register fully so WILL watch that but think it will dovetail book.

For the Appendices/green screen clip I watched with dwarves/Thranduil - reaction - *SQUEEEEEEEEEE* HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart
these guys are so good!!!, LOL Bifur/Tauriel was priceless, Thranduil OMG - PRAYING that is IN the film itself......

*bangs head* over Sir Peter commentUnsure

shaundobson
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 2:57pm

Post #4 of 206 (5680 views)
Shortcut
     yeah i think [In reply to]  

... that's been discarded now. So this gives the extended edition an extra 1min 30 seconds of other material seen as this scene will not be included, even though we all presumed this would make the EE.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 206 (5559 views)
Shortcut
     Allowing myself to watch this since it's apparently not included in the EE... [In reply to]  

Frown

Oh Peter, Peter, Peter... Unsure

This is the stuff we want. What are you thinking?!

Guess there will continue to be a big gaping hole in the Elven Kingdom introduction... Crazy

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 20 2014, 3:07pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 3:05pm

Post #6 of 206 (5602 views)
Shortcut
     *sad* but guess I can't complain [In reply to]  

for me - we got more Mirkwood and re an earlier post, we got the stag scene - hope details will be up soon.

AND can always cross fingers for the super-collector-ultra-deluxe version one day, that based on reaction PJ will re-edit and we can get even MORE of what WE feel should have been kept.Cool

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 206 (5512 views)
Shortcut
     Nah dude, just chuck 'em in the cell! [In reply to]  

I agree this would have been nice to see but I can also see why it was cut.

PJ's logic in the scene does have some good reasons but still some nice moments from some of our dwarves and Thranduil

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Oct 20 2014, 3:10pm)

Barrel_Rider
The Shire

Oct 20 2014, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 206 (5542 views)
Shortcut
     I thought [In reply to]  

he was referring to why it was cut from the Theatrical cut, as in he wanted the pace faster. Not that he wouldn't put it in the EE, you guys worry to much lol :P

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 3:10pm

Post #9 of 206 (5566 views)
Shortcut
     The fact that it still has greenscreen... [In reply to]  

...with no VFX is the tip off.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 206 (5473 views)
Shortcut
     Yep [In reply to]  

And I think someone on twitter confirmed it. Real shame...to think we could be getting another few minutes of goodness if this had been included.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 3:14pm

Post #11 of 206 (5416 views)
Shortcut
     Agree - sigh [In reply to]  

Oh Peter, Peter, Peter... Unsure

This is the stuff we want. What are you thinking?!

*Gloomily* he's thinking like a director, based on his comment (which I don't know much about I guess - pacing a film, the flow and all that.)

Still, like all directors, guess at times there's a miss here and there (as well as amazing successes) of what the audience wantsFrownFrownFrown

And even Sir Peter says how great this was *sigh* FrownFrownFrown

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 3:18pm

Post #12 of 206 (5647 views)
Shortcut
     Links to behind-the-scene sneak peak videos of creating Smaug, Barrels out of Bind, and a deleted scene from DOS, from EE appendices [In reply to]  

Deleted scene -> Spoilers!

The creation of Smaug

Barrels out of Bond

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 3:19pm

Post #13 of 206 (5616 views)
Shortcut
     PJ makes some awfully bizarre choices with these EEs... [In reply to]  

Like including a number of superfluous scenes in the RotK EE (which I still enjoy nonetheless), but excluding the Epilogue that pretty much EVERYONE was looking forward to (including Fran Walsh, who seemed quite put off in the commentary track by its unexpected exclusion).

I thought this scene was practically guaranteed to make it in. I felt the absence of such a scene when I saw the Theatrical Cut, and was really looking forward to that hole being filled up. Frown

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 20 2014, 3:20pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 3:22pm

Post #14 of 206 (5369 views)
Shortcut
     Ah but which audience? [In reply to]  

That is the question. There are several for these films and history seems to show they want rather different things!

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 3:25pm

Post #15 of 206 (5820 views)
Shortcut
     A huge improvement [In reply to]  

Two of my favourite scenes of the movie are now the extended ones:

Beorn introduction

and

Gandalf and Thrain

The whole Dol Guldur subplot runs far longer than it does in the theatrical. There's also an Azanulbizar flashback here with Azog cutting off the Dwarf Ring off Thrain.

Train basically sticks with Gandalf throughout until he's taken by Sauron to his death. And right before being snatched, he tells Gandalf to tell Thorin he loves him. WHY WERE THESE SCENES CUT???

Best Extended Edition so far out of the 5. Doesn't add a single useless scene IMO.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 3:27pm

Post #16 of 206 (5421 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks Annatar! [In reply to]  

Ughhh I can't wait any longer. One time being in the US is certainly a disadvantage!

Also

Is there exploration of Dale?!?

How is extended Mirkwood?!

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 3:33pm

Post #17 of 206 (5384 views)
Shortcut
     Sounds amazing! [In reply to]  

Do we also get a flashback involving Thrain giving the map and key to Gandalf at the beginning?

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 3:34pm

Post #18 of 206 (5519 views)
Shortcut
     No dale :( but [In reply to]  

Mirkwood is quite extended and flows MUCH better than the theatrical.

It's extended 5-10 mins.

However the Dol Guldur extension VASTLY makes up for any loss of Dale material.

I'm skimming through the extended edition and sadly I haven't found any new Thranduil scenes. I'll watch the movie in its entirety tomorrow and post thoughts :)

Really? Alright...

(This post was edited by Annatar598 on Oct 20 2014, 3:36pm)

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 3:35pm

Post #19 of 206 (5440 views)
Shortcut
     No flashbacks with that scene in particular [In reply to]  

but the Battle of Moria is flashbacked twice. Once in the prologue and once in Dol Guldur.

Both times effective and emotional.

And Agog has clearly been upped CGI-wise in the flashbacks.

Really? Alright...

Remus
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 3:37pm

Post #20 of 206 (5338 views)
Shortcut
     Anything more on Sauron [In reply to]  

So, anything more on Sauron? More scenes? Extended battle with Gandalf? Anything extra on the extra features?

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Thranduil1990
The Shire

Oct 20 2014, 3:37pm

Post #21 of 206 (5280 views)
Shortcut
     thanks! [In reply to]  

any new material of thranduil or tauriel? and what about the tombs?

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 3:38pm

Post #22 of 206 (5600 views)
Shortcut
     Another cool new scene is the High Fells [In reply to]  

Which is a flashback during a conversation Gandalf and Beorn have.

You see the Men of the North drag a creepy body into the tombs. Completely caught me off guard! Nowhere had I heard of this scene.

Really? Alright...

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 3:38pm

Post #23 of 206 (5279 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! [In reply to]  

I'm bummed about Dale but trying to be happy about all the rest. Seems like a ton of good stuff!

Mirkwood was what I was looking forward to most in the whole film probably (even more than Smaug or on par.) I just love that section of the book and dark forests in general and the spiders and so many of the things that happened I was crushed when I saw how truncated it was in the theatrical. And basically many of my problems with DOS involving pacing involve the latter half being too long so it seems like there is nothing new towards the end and now the beginning won't feel so rushed and the whole film will have a better balance is basically what i'm gathering/hoping for! So the more frontloaded stuff for me and Dol Guldur too, the better!

Thanks!

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 3:39pm

Post #24 of 206 (5380 views)
Shortcut
     Haven't seen any new Elf scenes but [In reply to]  

Yes, there is a flashback of the men of the north putting the WK into his tomb

Really? Alright...

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 3:40pm

Post #25 of 206 (5307 views)
Shortcut
     Quick questions for you Annatar [In reply to]  

Quick questions for you Annatar:

1) How is the Beorn sequence extended? Are there also more shots of him in bear form?
2) How is Dol Guldur extended? Is it just the addition of Thrain? Does Thrain get killed in the EE, by Sauron? Before or after Gandalf himself succumbs in the mano-e-mano?
3) Is there more Thranduil, and if yes, what more does he do in the EE?
4) Talk a little more about that flashback with Azog and Thrain please.
5) Is there more of the confrontation between Gandalf and Sauron at Dol Guldur, in any way, or is that unchanged?
6) What about Radagast, is he in any more scenes?
7) Can you talk a bit more about the white stag scene?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.