WB's awards season "For your consideration" list for BotFA
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 8:57am

Post #1 of 45 (1464 views)
Shortcut
WB's awards season "For your consideration" list for BotFA Can't Post

I think it's stating it mildly that some nominees in certain categories has got some of us on this board excitedSmileAngelic

Source. Printable.

WARNER BROS. – FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION 2014
THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

BEST PICTURE
CAROLYNNE CUNNINGHAM
ZANE WEINER
FRAN WALSH
PETER JACKSON

BEST DIRECTOR
PETER JACKSON

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
FRAN WALSH &
PHILIPPA BOYENS &
PETER JACKSON &
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

BEST ACTOR
MARTIN FREEMAN

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
IAN McKELLEN
RICHARD ARMITAGE
ORLANDO BLOOM
LEE PACE
LUKE EVANS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
EVANGELINE LILLY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
ANDREW LESNIE, ACS, ASC

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
JOE LETTERI
ERIC SAINDON
DAVID CLAYTON
R. CHRISTOPHER WHITE

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Production Designer
DAN HENNAH
Set Decorators
RA VINCENT
SIMON BRIGHT

BEST FILM EDITING
JABEZ OLSSEN

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
RICHARD TAYLOR
BOB BUCK
ANN MASKREY

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
HOWARD SHORE

BEST SOUND EDITING
BRENT BURGE
JASON CANOVAS

BEST SOUND MIXING
Production Sound Mixer
TONY JOHNSON
Re-Recording Mixers
CHRISTOPHER BOYES
MICHAEL HEDGES
MICHAEL SEMANICK

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
DESIGNER
PETER SWORDS KING
MAKEUP AND HAIR SUPERVISOR
RICK FINDLATER
PROSTHETIC SUPERVISOR
GINO ACEVEDO

BEST ORIGINAL SONG
THE LAST GOODBYE
Written by
BILLY BOYD, PHILIPPA BOYENS, and FRAN WALSH
Performed by
BILLY BOYD

What are we thinking here, folks? What's your good, bad, bleh?

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Tis true: more appreciation threads for Thranduil exist than ME movies. Threadcount: XIX
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVI | XVI

Laugh Thrall Wars!: What business do Elves, Dwarves or Men(?) have with drooling thralls, yea, with smartphones in tow, unto the slopes of Erebor? ... oh, yes, the Hobbit's lingering in some shadows, ever ready to swoop to the hairy rescue. Take cover if you dare! Teh partsies: Prologue (aka the 'tater-mash of whatever came before), two, three, three-appendix: An Unexpected Flashback, four, five (new, posted 20 August)

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Oct 20 2014, 9:01am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 9:18am

Post #2 of 45 (1059 views)
Shortcut
In terms of actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised/disappointed not to see Cate Blanchett put forward for Supporting Actress, and surely Nesbitt, Stott, Weaving and Connolly would have a better shot than Bloom?

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 9:56am

Post #3 of 45 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Well, it does depend on the film, doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

And on how much each actor has to do in the film, and on what they have to do.... Right now none of us knows that, so we're not really in a position to judge.

Fair enough to be disappointed because you've enjoyed someone's performance so far or because you like that actor in general, but no one can say which actor has earned an Oscar nomination for a film they haven't actually seen.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 10:29am

Post #4 of 45 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... nice list.

I guess "Best Visual Effects", "Best Make-Up" and "Best Production Design" can seriously hope for nominations.

Winning will be very hard for either of them... Bot5A will probably go without any Oscars, imho.

In the categories it will likely be nominated (or have a chance to be nominated) movies such as Interstellar, Planet of the Apes, Grand Budapest Hotel and others will have much better chances.

The reception of Bot5A would have to be extremely stellar to create serious award buzz. It won't happen, imho.

And before anyone misunderstands: I am not talking about the quality or that I think other movies are or will be better (we all have not seen Bot5A nor all of its competition). But there are things - such as award buzz - that have their own dynamic and rules. For Bot5A they point in a clear direction: few nominations, zero wins (at least at the Oscars).

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 20 2014, 10:32am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 12:18pm

Post #5 of 45 (965 views)
Shortcut
They've got to be joking [In reply to] Can't Post

The inclusion of Orlando Bloom – and among such fine actors – is surely just some promotional ploy! I also don't think EL deserves to be there. This just makes a mockery of the whole awards circus.

How cringeworthy.

I await a blast…

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 20 2014, 12:19pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 12:20pm

Post #6 of 45 (949 views)
Shortcut
No ploy. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what studios do.

Sometimes they restrict the number of people because they think one or two have a chance and do not want the votes split with noone winning in the end.

But WB knows that none of the Hobbit actors have a shot at an oscar nomination - so whom they pick out for the consideration list does not matter at all in the end.

Sometimes the voters do not even follow the categorization of lead and supporting actors/actresses proposed by the studios.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 20 2014, 12:24pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:44pm

Post #7 of 45 (898 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I guess "Best Visual Effects", "Best Make-Up" and "Best Production Design" can seriously hope for nominations.
there are things - such as award buzz - that have their own dynamic and rules. For Bot5A they point in a clear direction: few nominations, zero wins (at least at the Oscars).

Spot on. At a stretch, Boyd's title song may also get a nod if it's a belter...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:47pm

Post #8 of 45 (894 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They've got to be joking. The inclusion of Orlando Bloom...makes a mockery of the whole awards circus.

Laugh

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 12:47pm

Post #9 of 45 (888 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

A very far stretch would be an extremely good reception and the frontrunner for the technical categories disappointing on all levels (Interstellar). Than TH could slip in for some of the technical stuff for nominations. Still, in the VFX department Planet of the Apes would probably still come before Bot5A as a win.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 20 2014, 12:49pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:54pm

Post #10 of 45 (882 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Still, in the VFX department Planet of the Apes would probably still come before Bot5A as a win.

<nods>

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 2:05pm

Post #11 of 45 (859 views)
Shortcut
I'd give 'em all to Guardians, personally [In reply to] Can't Post

For the pure enjoyment they've given me. But that's just me…

In Reply To

In Reply To
Still, in the VFX department Planet of the Apes would probably still come before Bot5A as a win.

<nods>

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 2:06pm

Post #12 of 45 (854 views)
Shortcut
The VFX of Guardians? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ugh, no... I thought that was more of a video game than TH ever was.

But that may be just me again ;)

tsmith675
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 2:19pm

Post #13 of 45 (840 views)
Shortcut
Interstellar will win the VFX Oscar. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no doubt in my mind.

Our destiny lies above us.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 2:29pm

Post #14 of 45 (829 views)
Shortcut
Everything for that film! [In reply to] Can't Post

And personally, when it came to the VFX, I thought they were brilliant in Guardians. I loved the colours (a great change from all the doom blue-blacks) and shapes, e.g. the spacecraft, the cityscapes and so on.

But that's just me!

Tongue

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Oct 20 2014, 2:35pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 2:32pm

Post #15 of 45 (828 views)
Shortcut
A bit laughable? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now there's one that looks very doom blue-black! I think the 'doom' element may have been a bit overdone in that film, judging from the trailer, which also has yer typical doom music. It actually makes me snigger.

In Reply To
Interstellar will win the VFX Oscar. by tsmith675There's no doubt in my mind.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 2:37pm

Post #16 of 45 (820 views)
Shortcut
I also fear... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that this extremely hyped movie might collapse under its own weight. Its marketing campaign surely tries to make it look "important" and - of course "epic".

But there is a small line between epicness and pompousness.

I still hope for Interstellar and am excited - but I cannot share the extreme hype it is getting from certain corner, especially the Nolan community.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:39pm

Post #17 of 45 (844 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for explaining that - RA described as "supporting" is hilarious.... [In reply to] Can't Post

as is Sir Ian - and I am only referring to GENERAL screen time. And that said since I admire all these performances (blatant favoritism and bias for RA by defaultHeartHeartHeart) I really wince at seeing them go against each other re awards. Each gets a shiny GOLD statue from me.

That said, I'd hand Lee Pace a shiny statue without even seeing the film - e.g., for me, did Lee Pace, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, and Sir Ian make me instantly believe their charactersHeartHeart?

More statues to Ken Stott and Benedict C. Honorable mentions from me to Luke Evans, Graham McTavish, Aidan Turner re screen time so far, tho I am sure given enough time Dean O'Gorman will show plenty acting chopsHeartHeartHeart.

Another statue to Christopher Lee for being Saruman and just being awesome. And more honorable mentions to Stephen Hunter and Ryan Gage *grins*Cool those two are hilarious and think will provide more amusement in BOFA.Laugh

Yes, all award shows should just save the time and expense and just ship these actors their awards, along with a big gold statue to WETA and Sir Pete, and instead of a boring awards show with the requisite speeches there should be an international televised fan event with LOTR/Hobbit cast and crew commentary that lasts, say, 4 hours with rare unreleased footage and charity auctions for key set pieces.Cool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 3:04pm

Post #18 of 45 (812 views)
Shortcut
'Collapsing under its own weight.' [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's a very good way of putting it, Arannir – to the point.

Of course, it doesn't help that every time I've seen the Interstellar trailer it's been with Guardians, so there is some association between the two films in my mind as a result – hence the desire to snigger. When I think of 'doom' Interstellar, I instantly also think of Rocket (or Quill) in one of his delightfully wacky scenes.

In Reply To
... that this extremely hyped movie might collapse under its own weight. Its marketing campaign surely tries to make it look "important" and - of course "epic". But there is a small line between epicness and pompousness.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 3:45pm

Post #19 of 45 (789 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

That said, I'd hand Lee Pace a shiny statue without even seeing the film - e.g., for me, did Lee Pace, Richard Armitage, Martin Freeman, and Sir Ian make me instantly believe their charactersHeartHeart?

Lee Pace made me instantly believe... that he was the elfiest elf that ever elfed! Anybody who can get a curmudgeonly cynic like me to temporarily believe that elves are real? Nailed it!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 4:07pm

Post #20 of 45 (804 views)
Shortcut
Evangeline, Martin & Benedict [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all those listed I actually think she has the best shot at a nomination - not saying she'll win, but the Academy Awards like controversial characters and Tauriel was certainly controversial. Martin Freeman definitely SHOULD get a nomination, but if he does there's a good chance that he'll go head to head with Benedict Cumberbatch for "The Imitation Game." Now THAT would be tragic. Only thing worse would be if both Martin and Richard Armitage get nominated for Best Actor - OMG, what would I do???

As for all those fine supporting actors, well probably none of them, there's so many they cancel each other out. Plus I think Grahm McTavish and/or Ken Stott should be on the list instead of Orlando, sorry but they just did a better job. (Maybe Grahm could win an Emmy or Golden Globe for "Outlander?")

Now, I am about as besotted by Richard Armitage as anyoneHeartEvil, but I really wanted Ian McKellan to win for "Fellowship," and he didn't. IF he gets a nomination, he should win simply because he didn't win for FoTR. Having said that, I'd probably go for Lee Pace getting a nomination out of this group, because he really did do a fine job! Out of all of them, he gets the most attention, he really BECAME his character, and he did it with STYLE!

As for all those technical categories, well I was really aggravated that DoS lost out to "Gravity," which I really didn't think was that great in the SFX department. And this year we'll have "Interstellar," which is getting alot of buzz. With any luck it will fail to impress, sorry but that's just the way I feel!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 4:38pm

Post #21 of 45 (762 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe Lilly and Bloom are even on this list and Benedict Cumberbatch and Ken Stott are not. Before I get bashed for hating the Mirkwood duo, let me say that I actually like Bloom's portrayal of Legolas (Tauriel I think was a good idea (if they had to make a female character) with poor execution (the whole thing with Kili)). My main problem here is that, going by the book, they should have minimal parts in the film. Why is WB pushing Tauriel and Legolas so much harder than most of the characters who actually have important parts in the book, Dain and (according to Gandalf) Saruman at Dol Guldur?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I am just genuinely perplexed at all of this.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 4:42pm

Post #22 of 45 (748 views)
Shortcut
Because they have bigger roles. [In reply to] Can't Post

The WC will probably have mainly fight scenes. That is not Oscar material in any way.

Legolas and Tauriel will probably feature much more than any of the others.

And why would Cumberbatch be nominated after Serkis wasn't for Gollum?

They simply mentioned all names that at least have big enough roles. Knowing full well that none of them will even be nominated.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 4:54pm

Post #23 of 45 (741 views)
Shortcut
Cumberbatch [In reply to] Can't Post

I would argue, is the fourth most importan actor in the trilogy. He plays BOTH of the most important villains. And why should Legolas and Tauriel be so important - they weren't in the book! I know you know this but that was just for emphasis lol.

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 5:06pm

Post #24 of 45 (739 views)
Shortcut
Gaaaaagh [In reply to] Can't Post

Only thing worse would be if both Martin and Richard Armitage get nominated for Best Actor - OMG, what would I do???

Talk about controversy. FrownFrownFrownFrownFrown And I know plenty would scream MF should win (and he should) but haven't seen Thorin in BOFA and that's a powerful arc of descent but evidently a still functioning, dazzling leader (so RA should win too....)

My head hurts to think of it.....

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 5:08pm

Post #25 of 45 (727 views)
Shortcut
*Applauds* [In reply to] Can't Post

Lee Pace made me instantly believe... that he was the elfiest elf that ever elfed! Anybody who can get a curmudgeonly cynic like me to temporarily believe that elves are real? Nailed it!

Oh, yes. Completely and utterly.HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.