BOTFA Original Song!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 10:09pm

Post #51 of 69 (530 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Made me misty eyed just thinking about it.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 10:15pm

Post #52 of 69 (523 views)
Shortcut
I plan to watch [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit then The Lord of the Rings when I do my marathons going forward.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 10:21pm

Post #53 of 69 (525 views)
Shortcut
Well, if you haven't liked their previous songwriting... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I suppose you might be worried.

For me, though, all of their songs I can think of right now have been so lovely in themselves and so right in the context of the films that I'm very pleased by this - though there is a poignancy to it as well. How could there not be for anyone who has enjoyed the films?

I think it's quite likely that whatever this song is, it will include some of Tolkien's words as they've tended to do that. I've liked the previous two Hobbit end songs but both were written by the men who sang them. I'm really glad this one goes back to the writing team because I think that will make it feel and sound more like part of the film. I don't think you need worry about it not feeling fitting. It will feel fitting. There's no way they would want the closing song to this final film to be anything less than perfect.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 11:23pm

Post #54 of 69 (505 views)
Shortcut
Big Boys Don't Cry?...but [In reply to] Can't Post

WHO Can't
Hearin' THIZZ?

littl' ol' bom...CAN!

"Not NOT ALL TEAR..zz?...ARE..
but
can be TEARS of Gladness."

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 11:51pm

Post #55 of 69 (475 views)
Shortcut
Could this be based on a poem by Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking perhaps "Journey's End."

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 1:16am

Post #56 of 69 (456 views)
Shortcut
I think his style is more appropriate than the last three choices. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm optimistic that we won't get another rehashed mid-Atlantic pop tune.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Oct 20 2014, 1:37am

Post #57 of 69 (465 views)
Shortcut
Thrilled by this news! [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter the quality of the song -- though I'm optimistic it will be good -- just hearing Billy's voice again in Middle-earth will be an emotional experience.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 2:11am

Post #58 of 69 (428 views)
Shortcut
'The Road Goes Ever On' could well be featured in the film itself [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always imagined Bilbo speaking the verses right at the end. Starting with Martin Freeman then it fades to Ian Holm.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 2:37am

Post #59 of 69 (407 views)
Shortcut
So exciting!! [In reply to] Can't Post

After I heard he was writing it and involved, I instantly wanted him to sing it. The name alone is bringing tears and chills to my eyes. Glad they stuck with male voices for the end credit songs. Keeps the flow. This song MUST win Best Song at the Oscars or my name isn't Bilbo Baggins. Well, it isn't, but you get the picture. Wink

The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies 12/17/14
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 3:47am

Post #60 of 69 (412 views)
Shortcut
Roads go ever ever on... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've always imagined Bilbo speaking the verses right at the end. Starting with Martin Freeman then it fades to Ian Holm.

If the theatrical cut skips over both the auction and the later visit from Gandalf & Balin, you might get your wish.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 7:14am

Post #61 of 69 (370 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Read again, I said I am confident because of their previous efforts. Because I liked them.

Just worried because of the title, that is all. Wink

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 7:50am

Post #62 of 69 (351 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but that was my point... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because you said you liked their previous songs, worrying about the next one seemed an unnecessary application of worriedness. When I hear that there's to be a new piece of work by someone whose work I like I look forward to it! Wink

Farficom
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 8:58am

Post #63 of 69 (334 views)
Shortcut
That would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fantastic. A few words, then fade to black... and roll credits with music.

(This post was edited by Farficom on Oct 20 2014, 8:58am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 10:35am

Post #64 of 69 (313 views)
Shortcut
No unnecessary application of worriedness. [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply dislike the choice of title.

I said before that I hope the content and feeling won't represent the idea of "a last goodbye". Because I feel Bot5A shouldn't have that kind of "final" credit song.

A little worriedness? Maybe... but if we don't do that what is there to be discussed? Wink

It won't stop me from loving it if my worries prove to be unfounded.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 20 2014, 10:35am)

Kendalf
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 11:57am

Post #65 of 69 (295 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a weak title, too, sadly... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I simply dislike the choice of title.

Me, too Unsure

In my view, it feels too ordinary, too modern, too prosaic a title and not something I feel Tolkien would have written or Bilbo would have chosen to express.

The sentiment, of course, is perfectly apt but I'd have preferred a more poetic, elegiac title.

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

adt100
Rohan

Oct 20 2014, 12:10pm

Post #66 of 69 (285 views)
Shortcut
An 'the road goes ever on' isn't? I think it sounds promising. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 2:26pm

Post #67 of 69 (261 views)
Shortcut
Song Title [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
An 'the road goes ever on' isn't? I think it sounds promising.

No, the song title is "The Last Goodbye." The other is Frodo's song that was inspired by Bilbo's poem. I have speculated, however, that it might be based on one of Tolkien's poems.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 20 2014, 2:29pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 3:54pm

Post #68 of 69 (254 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I'm so glad they've given it to to Billy [In reply to] Can't Post

It's such a perfect and family thing to do... giving it to one of our hobbits. I hope it's kept simple without a lot of heavy orchestration. Even as I say this, I so very much do trust Philippa, Fran, Howard and Billy. AND I hope so much that they have credit sketches like they did for LotR.

I wish I could have seen Billy's face when he heard they wanted him for this.

I have the feeling Martin Freeman's Bilbo is going to break our hearts... and Billy's singing would finish the job. I get teary just thinking about it.

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 8:10am

Post #69 of 69 (196 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oof, this one will be emotional.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.