The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New actor listed on Official site

Orc Berserker
Bree

Oct 19 2014, 9:10pm

Post #1 of 18 (1523 views)
Shortcut
New actor listed on Official site Can't Post

Not sure if this has already been spotted... Please delete if so!

I just had a look on the Official Warner Brothers site for The Hobbit and under the synopsis it lists the official cast. At the very end, after Manu Bennett it includes a guy called John Tui. I didn't recognise the name and wondered who he might be playing.

Looked him up on IMDB, and he's not listed as being in The Hobbit: BOFA... (I know IMDB can sometimes be a bit behind)

I also noted that Lawrence Makoare is not on the official cast list (I'm sure he was included in DOS) However, on IMDB it does have him listed as Bolg in BOFA...

I can't think of any established character that John Tui could be playing, and the fact he is placed last after Manu Bennet I would guess that he is playing a hero Orc. But to include him and not Lawrence seems a bit weird... Surely they haven't re-cast Bolg again?!?!

I am hoping they introduce a couple more 'Hero' Orcs for the final film. This does seem to be a tradition - FOTR: Lurtz! TTT: Ugluk and Grishnak. ROTK: Gothmog and Gorbag. AUJ: Azog and Yazneg. DOS: Bolg and Narzug.

Perhaps we will get the 'Hero' Bodyguards! Maybe John Tui is playing one? Does anybody know who he is playing?

Here are the links:

http://www.thehobbit.com/

http://www.imdb.com/...732270/?ref_=nv_sr_1

werewormses
The Shire

Oct 19 2014, 9:23pm

Post #2 of 18 (669 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a dwarf?*/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Orc Berserker
Bree

Oct 19 2014, 9:29pm

Post #3 of 18 (665 views)
Shortcut
It's possible... But who? [In reply to] Can't Post

We already have Dain, and I can't think of any other new Dwarf characters that would be introduced. Unless they make one up. Can't think why they would though?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 18 (678 views)
Shortcut
Could be the rumoured CG Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

That's going to replace Connolly Wink

Moahunter
Rohan

Oct 19 2014, 9:56pm

Post #5 of 18 (624 views)
Shortcut
An orc? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Tui

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 9:58pm

Post #6 of 18 (692 views)
Shortcut
Before anyone starts to worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Connolly *is* listed as well.

Númenórean
The Shire

Oct 19 2014, 10:02pm

Post #7 of 18 (686 views)
Shortcut
film spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

May be the orc leader that leads the first skirmish against the men of Esgaroth in Dale, before the battle of the five armies begins.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 10:03pm

Post #8 of 18 (660 views)
Shortcut
Looking at his body built... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he may have stood in for some Orc-fighting, maybe also for Bolg when Lawrence Makoare may not have been available.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 10:23pm

Post #9 of 18 (595 views)
Shortcut
Or a Nazgul? [In reply to] Can't Post

DjU
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 11:57pm

Post #10 of 18 (562 views)
Shortcut
My Guess [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that he is playing Bolg.

Obviously the list is not an exhaustive list of everyone ever in the film however I think it's telling that ALL of the principle cast are listed and Lawrence Makoare is probably the only notable absence.

If he was merely a Orc underling or Chief it seems a bit odd he is billed and Makore is not - despite any potential crediting and contractual oddities.

The outside bet is like Spriggan mentioned perhaps the Witch-King/Nazgul.

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 2:46am

Post #11 of 18 (447 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

From which cast list is Lawrence Makoare missing? It seems awfully strange that a change like this for a major character would happen this late.

leonmuse
Rivendell

Oct 20 2014, 4:03am

Post #12 of 18 (463 views)
Shortcut
First Bolg concept. [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is that they've somehow found a way to redo the Bolg design, using the old one with a new actor.

There IS, supposedly, evidence. The photo from the Dol Guldur set with Elrond and Bolg, if it is indeed recent, may be the best one (evidence) we got thus far.

But then, my fellow TORn posters will ask: But how, Leo?

I think I have the answer. Bolg is injured somehow in the battle before the BOT5A (the battle) but he manages to flee before being killed (with or without Azog's aid) and then gets geared up for the final battle, in which he shows up, with a desire for revenge and with that dreaded (censored at first?) old Bolg design we've seen many times! yes, that one: Bloody beard, Bear claws, bone sword, skeleton ribs and all that gore from the costume.

Crossing my fingers!

(This post was edited by leonmuse on Oct 20 2014, 4:06am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Oct 20 2014, 4:41am

Post #13 of 18 (413 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is not listed yet in his film credits at his agency either. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.actors.co.nz/...John-Tui#prettyPhoto from Karen Kay Management.
His showreel is from 2014 but no scenes from TH.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 11:37am

Post #14 of 18 (306 views)
Shortcut
IF he has a line of Dialogue, he gets Listed..maybe the .WITCHKing..? [In reply to] Can't Post

DG needs
Someone other than
Sauron to compete with the White Council..

bomby putzz his money on the WitchKing.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

DjU
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 1:16pm

Post #15 of 18 (280 views)
Shortcut
You best not get your hopes up. [In reply to] Can't Post

You best not get your hopes up or tire out your fingers. Nothing like you have suggested will be happening.

Whilst I can't exactly recall the picture your talking about its is more or less 100% likely the picture is from May 2011 when they filmed all the Rivendell/White Council/Dol Guldur scenes. To public knowledge Hugo Weaving (and Cate Blanchett) only went to New Zealand once.

The Dol Guldur scenes were filmed with the original Conan Stevens Azog / Bolg design on set.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Oct 20 2014, 5:18pm

Post #16 of 18 (226 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

... I forgot the Witch King is rumoured to make an appearance. Can't imagine he'll have a lot of screentime or any lines though.

But thanks for the speculation peeps! Not long until we'll find out anyway. Just under 8 weeks by my count!

Orc Berserker
Bree

Oct 20 2014, 5:22pm

Post #17 of 18 (237 views)
Shortcut
The Official Cast list on the website [In reply to] Can't Post

It does seem strange, but i'm not sure how long that list has been up. Could have been there for months so in that case it wouldn't be such a late change.

Remember 'Bolg-gate' last year with Conan Stevens? Seemed like a last minute change but it happened months beforehand.

Bishop
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 5:39pm

Post #18 of 18 (223 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I don't know what to make of it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.