Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What time will the DOS EE come out digitally on Tuesday?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 19 2014, 6:52am

Post #1 of 27 (1566 views)
Shortcut
What time will the DOS EE come out digitally on Tuesday? Can't Post

Hey guys, does anyone have an idea as to what time we can expect to see the EE come out?

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:58am

Post #2 of 27 (936 views)
Shortcut
It should be available at midnight. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which would be Monday night, technically Tuesday 12:00 am. Though, if I'm not mistaken, I think the AUJ EE release was a day or so late last year. That's what I recall, anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The closer we get to the digital release, the more I'm concerned I'll lose my resolve and order it. I'm staunchly anti-VOD - but this think will be like the world's most annoying itch for a very long 3 weeks. Add to that, I'm going to have to keep myself away from the Hobbit board to stay spoiler free as well.

Last year, I wasn't able to do the latter and I ended up spoiling myself on virtually every addition before I finally caved and bought it on iTunes. I definitely don't want a repeat of that this year. Crazy

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 19 2014, 7:03am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 7:16am

Post #3 of 27 (914 views)
Shortcut
Yes . . Yes . . join us digital downloaders [In reply to] Can't Post

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 10:45am

Post #4 of 27 (812 views)
Shortcut
How much will it cost? Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it possible to watch the download on my PS3 or internet-connected TV? Or just Windows and iOS?

I've never downloaded a movie in my life. And can't understand why anyone would. But now it seems they're forcing us to. Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 19 2014, 10:46am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 11:40am

Post #5 of 27 (772 views)
Shortcut
They're not forcing you.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you don't want to download it wait for the DVD/Blu-ray. You won't be the only one!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 11:44am

Post #6 of 27 (760 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure I understand what the issue [In reply to] Can't Post

With downloading is. Genuinely puzzled.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Oct 19 2014, 12:40pm

Post #7 of 27 (719 views)
Shortcut
May as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll definitely be picking up the Bluray but seeing as I'm currently on holiday, I should be able to have the digital copy prior to flying to Japan on Tuesday afternoon. Be something to look forward to watching on the plane. :)

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 1:58pm

Post #8 of 27 (664 views)
Shortcut
Will buy both this and the physical Blu-ray [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to all that juicy bonus material Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:54pm

Post #9 of 27 (635 views)
Shortcut
You could not have said anything... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that would help my resolve more. Wink

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Bard'sBlackArrow
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 27 (610 views)
Shortcut
Early I am sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll get the digital on iTunes when I confirm whether or not I am getting the updated iPad Air. So if I do that, I'll get the digital at that point.

A related question:

Am I correct in that the dvd/blu ray releases no longer include the free iTunes digital download - only Ultra-Violet? That was the case with the AuJ dvd release. I wound up double dipping for the iTunes EE. I'm not going to another digital platform, one is enough.

... on the other side of tomorrow...

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 4:50pm

Post #11 of 27 (587 views)
Shortcut
starting with if you are NOT tech savvie [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, let's see - I don't own an Apple anything, so it's a little unclear is this download an I-tunes exclusive or what?Unsure

Maybe not. Maybe it's this ultraviolet thing that I have all these codes for. So, to use THAT (after pages of reading) I have to set up an account here, maybe another one for a viewer - nice they put in an entire page of all the stuff that can go wrong.Frown

I don't want to watch a film on a computer or phone. So now I have to configure this box for the TV- and maybe buy another one. And possibly some cables $$$$. Better throw in another multi-gb backup system $$$ while I am at it - this is so much fun, I love pretending I am an IT guru!
Oh good, another remote! And ANOTHER account or password.Frown Time to call a friend or two to help with this mess....makes sure I have enough little batteries too....Friend laughs at me and says to connect computer to TV, but I don't have the right cables, so gotta go to the store. Again $$$$
Friend says I owe him 2 dinners now....

Why is this so SLOW?!!!! It's 3:30 in the morning!!! Why does the picture have all those pixels? How come half the movie isn't there? Why is everything frozen?Mad

Why is my e-mail full of MORE SPAM ever since I tried downloading (even tho I gave up at 4 in the morning...)

As opposed the the zen-like tranquility and bliss (well, after you get the plastic wrapping off the disk) of lovingly unpacking your latest collectible, sighing in contentment at having this precious object in your hands after an eternity of waiting, happily watching the little lights of your TV and disk player light up like stars in twilight, feeling the embrace of your favorite chair or couch, the first familiar chords of music, the first sight of Thorin heading for Bree in grey rain...

(Friend says he wants to borrow disk and I say why don't you download.....Evil)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 4:54pm

Post #12 of 27 (570 views)
Shortcut
Well, I can only speak for myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and I don't have an issue with downloading, as such, if by that you mean an actual objection to its existence. If downloading is possible and people want to do it, that's fine.

I've never attempted to download a film because I live in a rural area and my internet connection is so slow that there are times of day when I have trouble watching a trailer, so I assume that downloading a whole film would be impractical for me even if it were possible. Besides, I'm old fashioned enough to like having the physical discs in exchange for my money. I feel the same way about e-readers. I don't have one and don't feel a need. I love books. I can see all the practical advantages and as a writer I'm really glad that e-readers exist and would encourage everyone to have one! Evil You see, I've noticed that my first book, re-issued as an e-book, is earning far more in royalties than it did in print, and it was reckoned to have done quite well for non-fiction. So I'm all for downloading stuff, just not fussed about doing it myself - and I can't see why anyone should feel that they have to do it if they don't want to.

Don't know if that helps...

(This post was edited by dormouse on Oct 19 2014, 4:55pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 5:05pm

Post #13 of 27 (555 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

ROFLOL - the dark side is too much work, unless you enjoy that kind of thing.

I would not trust streaming should the end of all days be upon us....Unimpressed
These companies, who lack all honor - we have seen how they treat their customers.....spamming, spyware, identity breaches, cloud failures, no support....Mad

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 5:36pm

Post #14 of 27 (545 views)
Shortcut
Not in this instance... [In reply to] Can't Post

But there have been a few films this year ( Frozen being one) that have no special features on the Blu-ray and the only extra stuff comes with the digital download.

Studios seem to think hard copies are dead and downloads are in, but what use are they if I can't view them on my TV? Mad

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 6:00pm

Post #15 of 27 (527 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

If a download is only watchable on computer (or i-thingy, which I haven't got) then I'm not interested. The computer to me is where I work. If a want to relax and watch a film I want it on TV from my nice comfy chair (or curled up by the fire).

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:19pm

Post #16 of 27 (514 views)
Shortcut
Oh apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

I should perhaps have been more clear. I can of course understand that someone might have an individual technology or broadband issue but it seemed like there was a more general stance against downloading, which I wasn't sure about the origins of.

On the specifics I have an ipad and am happy to watch films on there. Those that I think merit the big screen I tend to see at the cinema but equally I can just pop an HDMI cable into my laptop and watch on the TV if I wish. I don't have any downloading issues particularly and haven't had frozen or pixelated images.

Perhaps mine is the more unusual position, I don't know, but it seems to me a generally fine way to watch a film at home or on the go.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:34pm

Post #17 of 27 (508 views)
Shortcut
It's intended to bring about the end of physical media... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that's the problem many of us have with it. Streaming, in particular, will never come close to the quality of Blu-ray. It's the same as mp3s taking over CDs. Convenience over quality.

Worse yet, there's no ownership. Even iTunes movies, which you download, require Digital Restrictions Management (DRM), which Apple supplies. Should that disappear, so too will your ability to watch your purchase.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 19 2014, 6:35pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 6:54pm

Post #18 of 27 (496 views)
Shortcut
I suppose at some point [In reply to] Can't Post

Specific technology devices will inevitably be replaced by newer ones, whether digital downloads or something else at some point, though rarely if the quality is not better from examples I can think of.

I don't have any desire to see people lose something they like, though I doubt there is much for individuals on principle to do about it (any more than in prior technology changes).

Just from a personal viewpoint I'm not overly concerned about the DRM issue. I suppose I view it in the same way that I do all the video tapes I used to have!

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 9:47pm

Post #19 of 27 (430 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely hilarious post [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like a recurring nightmare.

I think you have, what they call, Digital Downloadaphobia.

You don't have to be a halfway technophobe for the rest of
your life; we can help you get over this, Avandel.
Laugh

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 9:54pm

Post #20 of 27 (421 views)
Shortcut
C'mon, it can't be that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
spamming, spyware, identity breaches, cloud failures, no support….

Can it? Unimpressed

I'll remain optimistic.Evil

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 19 2014, 9:59pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 12:40am

Post #21 of 27 (397 views)
Shortcut
For those interested, it would appear that the iTunes version is available for pre-order now in the UK... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://itunes.apple.com/...extended/id907987873

Mayhaps it will show up in the US store later after midnight...?

- Viggo Mortensen

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:20am

Post #22 of 27 (368 views)
Shortcut
I bet [In reply to] Can't Post

when someone talks about the comb? of a TV or "judder" you actually know what that means. I feel myself getting tense just thinking about it, and no, I don't think I'm stupid. I mean, I keep fish and can talk about nitrogen cycles and PARASITES etc. for instance.

But there's something terrifying about staring at the back of a television with mysterious sockets and the peripherals that don't work IF YOU DON'T DO IT THE RIGHT WAY WITH THIS KIND OF CABLE FOLLOWING THE INCOMPREHENSIBLE DIAGRAM IF YOU ARE EVEN THAT LUCKY not to mention brutally finding out that a Mac is not, in fact, just plug in and go.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:28am

Post #23 of 27 (363 views)
Shortcut
*grins* that's what my multiple computer friends say [In reply to] Can't Post

they try to be kind - think it has to do with the pallor of my skin and deer-in-the-headlight expression. Of course, after spending time with me and making sure I understand everything I panic and pull the plug on the router and there is a special sequence to get it working again so I will be sure to call them at 3 in the morning......Wink

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 20 2014, 2:30am

Post #24 of 27 (360 views)
Shortcut
Yes it can be that bad [In reply to] Can't Post

It's like Sauron tempting the great kings of men with rings, and so they were enslaved, their souls eaten, their credit cards stolen.....Shocked

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 7:20am

Post #25 of 27 (314 views)
Shortcut
Ha no, no idea I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

About comb or judder! Not a techy at all but I can manage an HDMI cable.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.