Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Honoring our love for Tolkien: What's the most prized item in your Tolkien collection?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 8:01pm

Post #1 of 37 (2947 views)
Shortcut
Honoring our love for Tolkien: What's the most prized item in your Tolkien collection? Can't Post

A sequel to Honoring our love for Tolkien: What's your earliest Tolkien-related memory?

And no, I don't mean monetary value. Which item in your Tolkien collection is the *dearest* to you?

I'm relatively new to being an admirer of Tolkien, so my collection of Tolkien-related items is still of rather modest size, to say the most. On a brighter side - it makes it easy for me to choose mine: my copy of the 2011 hardcover pocket edition of The Hobbit.

The Hobbit has a special place in my heart. It was the first book I read by Tolkien, the book that made me fall in love with Middle-earth. It's also the first of Tolkien's works I read in English - from that very copy.

Your turn! Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 18 2014, 9:02pm

Post #2 of 37 (2676 views)
Shortcut
The Annotated Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure about most-prized, but I do get a lot of use out of it (and also Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth and The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2014, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 37 (2667 views)
Shortcut
My Lord of the Rings hardcover with watercolours by Alan Lee. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lee's watercolours have shaped my image of Middle-earth and reading this book is like slipping on a pair of much-loved, warm and comfortable slippers. It's the only book that I absolutely won't lend to anyone.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

nandorin elf
Bree

Oct 18 2014, 11:47pm

Post #4 of 37 (2653 views)
Shortcut
My LOTR set [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the boxed trilogy with movie image covers. They're getting a little dog-eared after eleven years, but they bring back so many precious (pun intended) memories that I will have to keep them even when they get too worn out for reading.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2014, 12:24am

Post #5 of 37 (2656 views)
Shortcut
My Tolkien friends and [In reply to] Can't Post

the fun I've had with them over the years. I've traveled to Indianapolis, Columbus, Boston, Denver, New York, San Diego, Vancouver and even New Zealand to spend time with my great, wonderful friends. I have memories that will never fade of the good times, excitement and joy that I've shared with them.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 12:54am

Post #6 of 37 (2647 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking something very similar [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had to choose an 'object' it might be one of the many items from my friends-in-Tolkien. The object itself sits as a representative of a person or an event.

And I can't choose favorites. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 1:17am

Post #7 of 37 (2657 views)
Shortcut
I’m not a collector, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I do have a shelf full of Tolkien books (none rare so they don’t count).
My prized possession (if I may be so bold) is this map I drew back in the 1970s.

It is about two-foot six-inches by two-foot two-inches. It is to exact scale (using CJRTs map) and is in colored pencil. I’m not much of a photographer (as can be seen) so the detail cannot be made out (and it’s behind glass). It does have all of CTs towns, realms, landmarks etc.

The legend (my personal addition), (lower right), has a dragon overlooking the major treks (which are also each in a different color on the map proper): Path of the Great Ring; Three Hunters Give Chase; Ents Attack Isengard; Theoden Marches on Mundburg; Aragorn Comes to Minas Tirith; and Homeward Bound.

The border of the legend is in the Angerthas and says “In tribute to JRR Tolkien . . . etc.”

Color map photo ColormapofME.jpg

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.
-Gandalf

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 1:27am

Post #8 of 37 (2644 views)
Shortcut
My Dad's Ballantine editions of TH and LoTR. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first things that introduced me to the wonderful world of Middle-Earth.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Glassary
Rivendell

Oct 19 2014, 2:46am

Post #9 of 37 (2637 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle that is amazing and lovely.
I can barely draw a straight line so I stand in awe.

In Reply To
I do have a shelf full of Tolkien books (none rare so they don’t count).
My prized possession (if I may be so bold) is this map I drew back in the 1970s.

It is about two-foot six-inches by two-foot two-inches. It is to exact scale (using CJRTs map) and is in colored pencil. I’m not much of a photographer (as can be seen) so the detail cannot be made out (and it’s behind glass). It does have all of CTs towns, realms, landmarks etc.

The legend (my personal addition), (lower right), has a dragon overlooking the major treks (which are also each in a different color on the map proper): Path of the Great Ring; Three Hunters Give Chase; Ents Attack Isengard; Theoden Marches on Mundburg; Aragorn Comes to Minas Tirith; and Homeward Bound.

The border of the legend is in the Angerthas and says “In tribute to JRR Tolkien . . . etc.”

Color map photo ColormapofME.jpg

Glassary
Rivendell

Oct 19 2014, 2:51am

Post #10 of 37 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose. [In reply to] Can't Post

Have tons of books which I love from Tolkiens works to the Weta chronicles, love them all. Likewise have a few of the Weta figures.
But have to say right now my favorite Tolkien item is the coffee table in my tv room. I had a very inexpensive table which I applied a decal of the One Ring quote.

Cillendor
Lorien

Oct 19 2014, 5:28am

Post #11 of 37 (2631 views)
Shortcut
My LEGO Bag End set. [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple of years ago, I decided that I wanted to build a Hobbiton-themed hotel where all the rooms were buried underground. I began drawing out schemes and trying to close all the loopholes. But eventually I realized it was too large of a project for anything I could hope to accomplish, so I settled on just building a home like that for myself.

My mom teased me about it whenever I'd bring it up. But on Christmas morning 2012, I unwrapped the LEGO Bag End set. I was stunned because I hadn't asked for it or even thought much about it. She told me she bought it for me so that I could build a Hobbit hole for myself even if I'm never able to build a real one. It was probably the best Christmas gift I've ever received, in terms of the genuine surprise and elation I felt in opening it.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 12:56pm

Post #12 of 37 (2608 views)
Shortcut
I thank you for the complement Glassary [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m no artist either, but I can muster up a ton of patience when attempting something I really love. Heart

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom.
-Gandalf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 37 (2633 views)
Shortcut
Oh My! [In reply to] Can't Post

My brain just exploded!

I have to say it's my original set of LotR/Hobbit books I've been reading since 1971...but I also have to include my Signlanguage book by Viggo that I've had everyone I've met at conventions and during travel (including cast/crew/artists) over the past 12 years.

Including Daniel Reeve's impromptu Ringspell

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 21 2014, 10:09am)

shadowdog
Rohan

Oct 19 2014, 3:39pm

Post #14 of 37 (2610 views)
Shortcut
My most treasured item [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a collectors edition of The Hobbit signed by Gandalf and the 13 Dwarves.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 37 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for replying, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've once again been very much enjoying reading your responses. Smile

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Oct 20 2014, 3:04am

Post #16 of 37 (2582 views)
Shortcut
wow some people here have some incredible items! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very fond of this collection of Tolkien maps I have; I intend to have them framed one day. I also have trading cards that were autographed by Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Billy Boyd and Dom Monaghan. I am also proud of my collection of games workshop LOTR miniatures which I have painted myself.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Donry
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 8:57pm

Post #17 of 37 (2556 views)
Shortcut
I have copies of the LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

that my grandmother (now deceased) gave to me the same year I discovered the Hobbit. About 1983-'84? They have been with me every where I have gone ever since. I've attached a picture I found online of the Return of the King from that version.....mine are much more worn...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

(This post was edited by Donry on Oct 20 2014, 8:57pm)
Attachments: n1306.jpg (36.2 KB)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 8:59pm

Post #18 of 37 (2556 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose among them all, but it would have to be [In reply to] Can't Post

the Red Book LotR, which Uncle Baggins gave me for a wedding present in 1978.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 9:06pm

Post #19 of 37 (2551 views)
Shortcut
That was going to be my second choice. [In reply to] Can't Post

The old Ballantine set, I mean. I actually still have a rather pristine backup set I bought at the time, after my brother wrinkled the cover of FotR. I kept the second set in a box, and read the first set ragged. And I have a jigsaw puzzle with that artwork on it too :-)

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 20 2014, 9:07pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2014, 9:17pm

Post #20 of 37 (2554 views)
Shortcut
Being a collector [In reply to] Can't Post

- it's hard to pick out one thing. But something which does bring me joy lately is a small clutch of pine-cones from Tolkien's favourite tree - the Black pine in Oxford's Botanic Garden, which is sadly there no more.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 20 2014, 9:30pm

Post #21 of 37 (2559 views)
Shortcut
Bag 'O Balrogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

From the 70s.

And though not strictly canon, a set of four roller-skating female orcs armed with submachineguns.

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Oct 20 2014, 11:37pm

Post #22 of 37 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Probably the first copy (hardcover) of LOTR that I ever owned [In reply to] Can't Post

of my limited collection it is the one that gets read and looks like it has been in the wild longer that Strider.

Geordie, very nice keepsake you have there. Did you ever meet the Professor.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2014, 12:05am

Post #23 of 37 (2549 views)
Shortcut
I'm intrigued! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would you take a photo and post it here for us to see? Pretty please?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

silvereyed
The Shire

Oct 21 2014, 6:01am

Post #24 of 37 (2523 views)
Shortcut
I can't decide [In reply to] Can't Post

between this photo and the copy of the hobbit i got signed by several cast members at the AUJ wellington premiere

(This post was edited by silvereyed on Oct 21 2014, 6:13am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 21 2014, 8:39am

Post #25 of 37 (2519 views)
Shortcut
Now this I want to see! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And though not strictly canon, a set of four roller-skating female orcs armed with submachineguns.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 21 2014, 8:40am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.