Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Next installment: What's Made you Happy this week?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 3:07pm

Post #1 of 77 (620 views)
Shortcut
Next installment: What's Made you Happy this week? Can't Post

• This:

• And, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. Never expected an experience like I had hearing this group recently. Breathed and played together like one organism. I think they're on track to become one of the great quartets like the Cleveland or Emerson. SmileSmileSmile http://www.belceaquartet.com/...essage&pf=3&Itemid=1

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Oct 17 2014, 3:08pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:20pm

Post #2 of 77 (419 views)
Shortcut
My new hat [In reply to] Can't Post

Childish, yes. As is the wearer. TongueSmile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 17 2014, 4:21pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2014, 4:21pm

Post #3 of 77 (412 views)
Shortcut
Birding! [In reply to] Can't Post

This hasn't been the most spectacular fall color season we've had. The trees are very staggered in their colors. Some are brilliantly colored but they are dots here and there amongst the green trees that haven't started to change. And we've had a couple of very windy days that have stripped the leaves before one can really enjoy them. Yesterday, the tree next door lit up in the sun and I almost went out to take a picture of it. We got a couple of good gusts last night as the weather changed and the tree is mostly bare this morning.

But the weather has been lovely. Lots of sunny days - even if some were cool-ish and breezy. And I'm finally recovering enough from my head/chest cold that I have wanted to get out.

So I took a trip down the Minnesota River valley where much of the land in the Twin Cities area is designated as wildlife refuge. Ages ago, Cedar Ave used to cross the river on this bridge:

...but a newer four line hwy bridge was built to replace it. (You could just make it out just beyond the old bridge if you knew it was there.) One used to be able to walk across this bridge but it's become unsafe. After many years of uncertainty, funds were finally allocated to refurbish it so, once again, pedestrians and bikes could cross it.

Until then, one can walk along the edge of Long Meadow Lake which lies parallel to the Minnesota River here or one can walk out on a board walk...

...to a platform deck at the edge of the lake. (That picture above is from earlier this summer when everything was green... that bright spot on the deck is me. The white spots in the water are pelicans.)

I went out twice this week with my binoculars... one really needs a good spotting scope because of the distance but it was a nice day and I wanted to be out anyhow so I thought I'd see what I could see with just my binoculars. Yesterday was esp. nice. It was slated to get to 70 so I went out without a jacket (this could easily be the last 70 degree day we get here). The sun was bright and the sky clear.

From the platform on my two visits, I spotted these species:
Trumpeter Swan
Northern Shoveler
Canada Goose
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Great Blue Heron
Mallard
American Pelican
Ring-billed Gull
Cormorant
Great Egret
American Coot

also...
lots of Bald Eagles soaring overhead (and further high up but further off) including one who was hunting very close to the water...
some American Crows flying over...
Yellow-rumped Warblers in the bushes back on the trail to the boardwark...
and a small deer along the board walk probably pretty close to where the photographer (the Mister) was standing while taking that second photo above.

We've also had a White-throated Sparrow hanging out in the backyard... I expect that to move on anytime. And a White-breasted Nuthatch that can't figure out how to feed out of our tube feeder. (We need a better set up for suet... the squirrels just eat the whole thing). And the usual Cardinal pair and a small group of chickadees. I am certain I saw a Dark-eyed Junco in the backyard last week for just a moment. They are migrating south to our area where they will spend the winter. When we were in Duluth two weeks ago, they were thick up there.

Yesterday, a number of families with children showed up since there is no school statewide as the teachers hold their state convention/conference. One gent mentioned to his children that they were rehabbing the old bridge and said he was working on it. "Seriously?" I said. Yup, he was an engineer on the project. He said they hoped to have it safe for travel in two years. I was very happy to hear that. I have great memories of walking over that old bridge and one has a better vantage point for birding out on it.

The topper on my most excellent morning was filling up the gas tank at 2.85 a gallon... the cheapest gas has been in ages.

And to make the morning memorable... a stuck coach bus.

The road that leads down to this area is steep. It goes down into the valley. :-) And it's old. And it's a dead end. There's a sign that declares "No Outlet" as one starts to descend. Well, as near as I can figure, this couch bus must have started down this road (probably lost) and realized they were in trouble. There are a few side streets but they only lead to small cul-de-sac communities with no outlet and those streets are inclines ... most up ... as well.

I think the bus tried to turn around by turning onto one of these streets and the back end bottomed out as the front end went up the incline. It was blocking the whole lane that goes up out of the valley and they had people navigating traffic around it. (There's not a ton of traffic there but there is some) I can't even imagine how they were going to get that bus out of there. It was huge and these are old-school streets. Narrow, no shoulder with ditches. That must have cost a pretty penny to get the tow equipment out there and if people were on that bus, I'm sure they were inconvenienced in some manner.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:32pm

Post #4 of 77 (401 views)
Shortcut
Childish? Nay! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stylish, I say. And surely destined to join the ranks of the much-loved. Smile

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 77 (403 views)
Shortcut
Reconnecting [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in Peace Corps in Mali 1986-8, and just this week I reconnected with a former friend and neighbor there on LinkedIn, who's all grown up and head of a big company now.

It's been nearly 30 years, and we still traded some of the same old jokes, plus some of the Bambara language came back to mind as I wrote to him. I miss the people there a lot but sure don't miss the heat and mosquitoes.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 4:34pm

Post #6 of 77 (396 views)
Shortcut
Why, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also got matching gloves. CoolLaugh

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 6:27pm

Post #7 of 77 (402 views)
Shortcut
I'm the weirdo. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love my "misty, moisty" fall mornings as much as I love my autumn color, like yesterday.

Things were still pretty patchy when we got to the battlefield later in the day, but that didn't matter because while going down Confederate Avenue

I spotted the young Red-headed Woodpecker that lead me to the nesting/feeding area hotspot. Finally! I didn't get any good pics of the birds, but I hope Dad did. I'm the spotter and only carry a small camera, he has the big stuff. We'll be back!

I love the moody weather, but I'm not opposed to brightening things up.

Yayyyy, the heavy rain of Wednesday is finally gone!

Also, this:

because I'm still 13. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 17 2014, 7:18pm

Post #8 of 77 (383 views)
Shortcut
Not childish. [In reply to] Can't Post

Youthful. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 8:02pm

Post #9 of 77 (380 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I meant to say all along. Tongue

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 9:40pm

Post #10 of 77 (368 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 11:11pm

Post #11 of 77 (377 views)
Shortcut
That's not weird. I love misty mornings, [In reply to] Can't Post

and mist in general. I like what it does the the colors of the trees, and how they peek in and out of it. Smile

nandorin elf
Bree

Oct 18 2014, 2:05am

Post #12 of 77 (372 views)
Shortcut
I love misty mornings, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

What gorgeous pictures. I miss living in the country.
Misty autumn mornings are the best. I woke up Tuesday to thick fog. When my friend asked how I was doing, I grinned and said, "Awesome; it's foggy!" The weather and all the trees changing color along the road had me smiling the entire walk to class.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 9:03am

Post #13 of 77 (361 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, as soon as I laid my eyes upon it, I knew there was no way I could leave the store without it.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2014, 12:15pm

Post #14 of 77 (355 views)
Shortcut
Aw, that's adorable! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who couldn't NOT smile, seeing someone wearing that? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 12:21pm

Post #15 of 77 (354 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it's creating warmth in more than one way. Smile

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Oct 18 2014, 12:22pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 18 2014, 7:12pm

Post #16 of 77 (344 views)
Shortcut
:) :) :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 1:39am

Post #17 of 77 (357 views)
Shortcut
It involves sewage.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it is true. Instead of footing the bill for a $25,000-30,000 septic system in order to sell the house the town finally is getting sewers in this part of town. Hook up will be less that 10,000. Also is waived the $2000 city water hook up charge.
Then i learned that mrs, sil's biopsy was clear.
All this really, REALLY made me happy.

Then there was the son's win in a 4 school CC meet.

...I can't stand all this good news at once. It is so , derned irregular:). I feel like Fred Sanford when he grabs his chest and starts talking to his deceased wife ElizabethAngelic.

That quartet sounded fine Ethel:)

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 19 2014, 2:03am

Post #18 of 77 (346 views)
Shortcut
wow... that is a HUGE set of happy moments. [In reply to] Can't Post

:-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:09pm

Post #19 of 77 (337 views)
Shortcut
fantastic fall pics guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

First dogrun of the year... then it got warm enough to put the kayak back on the roof of the van...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2014, 2:20pm

Post #20 of 77 (335 views)
Shortcut
well, I have no idea how to post pics, so here's a link... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://swordwhale2.tumblr.com/

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2014, 5:27pm

Post #21 of 77 (328 views)
Shortcut
That is GREAT news, sil. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hurrah for clear biopsies!Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 5:29pm

Post #22 of 77 (325 views)
Shortcut
Wow swordwhale, awesome photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing the link - too many beautiful images to try to fit into one post.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 7:55pm

Post #23 of 77 (322 views)
Shortcut
Great pics, SW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little jealous.
No, I'm a lot jealous.
Yarrr.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 19 2014, 8:08pm

Post #24 of 77 (330 views)
Shortcut
Today was the first time I ever performed a baptism. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was for a baby boy, about 6 months old, and he smiled at me. Smile Kinda like that.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

BlackFox
Half-elven

Oct 19 2014, 8:18pm

Post #25 of 77 (328 views)
Shortcut
Aww! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe congratulations are in order. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.