Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
How Much Do You Think Celeborn Can Learn From Galadriel?

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Oct 17 2014, 10:58am

Post #1 of 4 (422 views)
Shortcut
How Much Do You Think Celeborn Can Learn From Galadriel? Can't Post

Assuming he did (and have no ego) and can....

Would he have been able to let's say absorb as much as Galadriel learned from the Valar and Melian?

GOM

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 17 2014, 1:16pm

Post #2 of 4 (285 views)
Shortcut
Quite a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

The feminine is the conduit to the divine, and further Galadriel is the Crone aspect of the Triple Goddess in the book (Arwen - Mother, Eowyn - Maiden).

The child of destiny has to face a long period of obscurity. This is a time of extreme danger, impediment, or disgrace. He is thrown inward to his own depths or outward to the unknown; either way, what he touches is a darkness unexplored. And this is a zone of unsuspected presences, benign as well as malignant: an angel appears, a helpful animal, a fisherman, a hunter, crone, or peasant. (emphasis mine)
-Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces

If Frodo as a "child of destiny" is able to learn wisdom from Galadriel, surely Celeborn is.

Indeed, Celeborn is schooled by Galadriel in the book:

'Alas! ' said Celeborn. `We long have feared that under Caradhras a terror slept. But had I known that the Dwarves had stirred up this evil in Moria again, I would have forbidden you to pass the northern borders, you and all that went with you. And if it were possible, one would say that at the last Gandalf fell from wisdom into folly, going needlessly into the net of Moria.'
`He would be rash indeed that said that thing,' said Galadriel gravely. `Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life. Those that followed him knew not his mind and cannot report his full purpose. But however it may be with the guide, the followers are blameless. Do not repent of your welcome to the Dwarf. If our folk had been exiled long and far from Lothlórien, who of the Galadhrim, even Celeborn the Wise, would pass nigh and would not wish to look upon their ancient home, though it had become an abode of dragons?
'Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone.' She looked upon Gimli, who sat glowering and sad, and she smiled. And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes; and it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding. Wonder came into his face, and then he smiled in answer.
He rose clumsily and bowed in dwarf-fashion, saying: `Yet more fair is the living land of Lórien, and the Lady Galadriel is above all the jewels that lie beneath the earth! '
There was a silence. At length Celeborn spoke again. `I did not know that your plight was so evil,' he said. `Let Gimli forget my harsh words: I spoke in the trouble of my heart. I will do what I can to aid you, each according to his wish and need, but especially that one of the little folk who bears the burden.'

-The Mirror of Galadriel

He can be taught!

"Hola! Gorbag! What are you doing up here? Had enough of war already?"
"Orders, you lubber. And what are you doing, Shagrat? Tired of lurking up there? Thinking of coming down to fight?"
"Orders to you. I'm in command of this pass. So speak civil. What's your report?"

"Everything's really great in Cirith Ungol,
All the way from here to down below.
We haven’t seen old Shelob though she’s seven ranga tall,
About as high as a spider oughta grow!

"There’s one thing that we found in Cirith Ungol,
We found it just a little while ago.
There’s a slime trail going all the way to Shelob’s dark abode.
We followed it and found a giant midget elf-lord in the road,
We fought him and prevailed and boy we really knocked him cold!
He’s out about as far as he can go!
He’s out about as far as he can go!"

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 17 2014, 1:18pm

Post #3 of 4 (325 views)
Shortcut
As much as she learnt from him, I expect, like most successful couples: [In reply to] Can't Post

"For the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth, and a giver of gifts beyond the power of kings. He has dwelt in the West since the days of the dawn, and I have dwelt with him years uncounted. . . and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat."

It's an interesting relationship the way Tolkien draws it because there is no hint of inferiority/subservience on either side. Each is powerful in his or her own way; each respects and defers to the other.

dijomaja
Lorien

Oct 28 2014, 12:48pm

Post #4 of 4 (241 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Each is powerful in his or her own way; each respects and defers to the other. "

Nice when it works, eh?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.