First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 5:44pm

Post #1 of 78 (4952 views)
Shortcut
A mini DoS: EE Review of Sorts - warning Spoilers Can't Post

https://davegolder2005.wordpress.com/...desolation-of-smaug/

Not much to go on here, and some may disagree with the reviewer (he's entitled to his view of course), but the images reveal some interesting things. The White Stag scene is in. It looks like Gandalf does 'heal' Thrain. Does this explain his healed eye as well? We'll have to see

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 16 2014, 9:19pm)

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 5:51pm

Post #2 of 78 (2935 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf healing Thrain, probably after his fight..or is he already killed ?! Thinking the first is more likely...

And the mentioned fight scene should be also the Gandalf-Thrain stuff i guess.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Oct 16 2014, 5:54pm)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 5:53pm

Post #3 of 78 (3068 views)
Shortcut
Whoop! (slight spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

There’s also a great fight scene that’s been added to the Extended Edition, which I won’t spoil, but it significantly alters one section of the film, in a way the new scenes rarely have before.

ShockedShockedShocked SlySlySly SmileSmileSmile

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 5:54pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 5:55pm

Post #4 of 78 (2978 views)
Shortcut
I took that... [In reply to] Can't Post

to mean the Gandalf and Thrain encounter.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 5:59pm

Post #5 of 78 (2919 views)
Shortcut
Most likely [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wasn't expecting the fight, itself, to be 'great' or 'significantly alter' that section of the film.

That comment has definitely peaked my interest and I'm all the more excited to see it play out now (if that is, in fact, the scene being referenced).

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 6:01pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Oct 16 2014, 6:06pm

Post #6 of 78 (2938 views)
Shortcut
The white stag! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay! That guy on twitter had me worried.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 6:09pm

Post #7 of 78 (2845 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! - You can rest easy now, Avandel // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2014, 6:12pm

Post #8 of 78 (2812 views)
Shortcut
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Dcole4
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 78 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Noticeably absent... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the tweets and reviews so far is any mention of a flashback during the Bree prologue, explaining how Thrain became lost during the Moria battle. There are very noticeable cuts in the scene as is, so it's quite clear that these scenes were intended to go there. It has me very anxious. It would seem odd to leave them out, especially since we meet Thrain in Dol Guldur as a new actor. To not set him up beforehand, and his relationship with Gandalf (in the key giving scene) would be very odd and confusing to casual viewers.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Oct 16 2014, 6:15pm

Post #10 of 78 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Wow, this reviewer summed it up for me, like he's reading mind mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

"My main problem with Smaug, though, is Smaug. Not his look. Not Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance. Not the animation. But the fact he’s so bloody ineffectual. He’s a massive fire-breathing dragon and yet he can’t fry one little dwarf! The whole final action scene was, we learn from the Blu-Ray, one of the things that was added to the script when the The Hobbit was expanded from two films to three, so there’s a practical reason why none of the Dwarves could be reduced to cinders; certainly remaining faithful to the book wasn’t issue but the ending of Smaug had to retain continuity with footage already shot for Five Armies, so sudden, shocking deaths were impossible. But there’s a real lack of threat to the climactic scenes, which undermines Smaug’s declaration, “I am death!” Are you? Are you really?"

That's the exact same reaction I had. "I am death". I just had to roll my eyes after suffering through a lengthy benny hill compilation between Smaug and the Dwarves.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 6:21pm

Post #11 of 78 (2821 views)
Shortcut
Reinsertion is probable [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to think that PJ wouldn't miss this chance to rectify the editing in the prologue. And like you said, it would help to set Thráin up before hand.

I'm confident that we'll get the flashback.

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 6:25pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 78 (2765 views)
Shortcut
I'm not concerned (yet) [In reply to] Can't Post

This reviewer doesn't actually mention any additions aside from hinting at the Thrain encounter, and the Empire reviewer clearly wasn't too familiar with the film given his incorrect comments about the Mirkwood and Beorn extensions. Indeed, he only really mentioned the Thrain and slight Laketown extensions without prompting, and what we know of so far must only account for about half the total additions, max.

I'll only be concerned once we get an explicit denial or a review from someone knowledgeable which mentions more than one or two additions.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 6:38pm

Post #13 of 78 (2834 views)
Shortcut
I thought I'd add this here rather than start a new thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Did anyone see this tweet from TORN a couple of days back? Confirmation of more High Fells!

TheOneRing.net ‏@theoneringnet
Desolation EE: More Beorn, sleepy Bombur, more Gandalf, more tombs, and THRAIN.

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Oct 16 2014, 6:42pm

Post #14 of 78 (2781 views)
Shortcut
Dwarfs in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo standing in Dale looking up to the gates of Erebor - that has to be in
It was the main poster

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 6:43pm

Post #15 of 78 (2755 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

more tombs

Thanks, Shagrat.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 78 (2716 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

If we got confirmation of Thrain flashbacks (map and key, Moria) and a journey through Dale to the gates of Erebor, I'd be entirely satisfied. Anything else would be a bonus.

DjU
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 6:45pm

Post #17 of 78 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Frankly [In reply to] Can't Post

Frankly at this moment I'd require something a bit more to substantiate that tweet. TORN *news* hasn't exactly had a brilliant track record this year...

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 6:49pm

Post #18 of 78 (2775 views)
Shortcut
Glad to see some pics [In reply to] Can't Post

don't really care if he likes it or not.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 6:49pm

Post #19 of 78 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Surely they've seen it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously review copies have been sent out, and have been watched over the past few days.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 6:51pm

Post #20 of 78 (2709 views)
Shortcut
LOL! - Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
don't really care if he likes it or not.

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 6:51pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 6:51pm

Post #21 of 78 (2700 views)
Shortcut
Our overall [In reply to] Can't Post

track record is darn good. There may be issues once in a while but its not usually because we just said whatever. Give us a little more credit. Cool

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 16 2014, 6:54pm

Post #22 of 78 (2707 views)
Shortcut
It probably comes off rude [In reply to] Can't Post

and its not really meant to. Hopefully people will understand having seen me post a few times.Cool

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Oct 16 2014, 6:58pm

Post #23 of 78 (2662 views)
Shortcut
hm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did anyone see this tweet from TORN a couple of days back? Confirmation of more High Fells!

TheOneRing.net ‏@theoneringnet
Desolation EE: More Beorn, sleepy Bombur, more Gandalf, more tombs, and THRAIN.

is there much more to add ?Crazy or can other tombs be meant ?!

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Oct 16 2014, 6:58pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Oct 16 2014, 7:02pm

Post #24 of 78 (2805 views)
Shortcut
If you know where to look you can see extended stuff online [In reply to] Can't Post

I can feel the admins' angry eyes as I type this. So I won't say where, but there are some clips out there if you're good at Google. Hope it's okay to say that much Crazy

KeenObserver
Lorien

Oct 16 2014, 7:12pm

Post #25 of 78 (2700 views)
Shortcut
Already? - Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to watch any new scenes in isolation. It's very important that I watch the extended edition as a whole because I feel like that's the only way to reverse the slightly negative psychological impression that the theatrical version left on me.

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Oct 16 2014, 7:20pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.